Author Topic: Meiwa Kumquat x Flying dragon (poncirus trifoliata)  (Read 7449 times)

Ilya11

• France, Paris region, Vaux le Penil, middle of Northern z8
    • View Profile
Re: Meiwa Kumquat x Flying dragon (poncirus trifoliata)
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2019, 06:09:39 PM »
I can send you some stratified seeds to experiment with.
FD as well as other poncirus varieties does not require stratification :)
Best regards,
                       Ilya

lavender87

• USA, GA, Smyrna, 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2019, 11:10:58 PM »
I can send you some stratified seeds to experiment with.
FD as well as other poncirus varieties does not require stratification :)

Oh really, thank your for your info. I remember that I read somewhere online that say unless we leave the Poncirus fruits outside over winter for natural stratification otherwise we should remove seeds and put them in a damp paper towel, then place the towel with seeds inside a sealed plastic bag and put them in the fridge (34F) for at least a month or until we are ready to germinate. I always do that to reserve the seeds because I was afraid that the seeds would get dried and the rate of germination would be low.

I have never tried to germinate non stratified Poncirus seeds, but I guess they might not germinate if we pick fruits in the Falls and stores at room temperature until Springs.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 11:14:47 PM by lavender87 »

Florian

• Solothurn, Switzerland.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2019, 04:03:13 AM »
Non stratified Poncirus seeds will germinate just as well but you can also leave the fruit outside and plant the seeds in spring. I don't know if it is good to store the fruit at room temperature.

mikkel

• Lueneburg, Germany Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2019, 05:15:04 AM »
I don't know if it is good to store the fruit at room temperature.

I test it this winter.

Ilya11

• France, Paris region, Vaux le Penil, middle of Northern z8
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2019, 05:31:36 AM »
Not very likely, at least not from a direct cross.

However you might take a look at this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Citrofortunella-x-TRICIMEQUAT-Cold-Hardy-Citrus-Tree-SEEDS-/382704720418?oid=362495154487

I ordered those a well, 3 have sprouted so far.

I read on a French forum that ebay picture was taken from Procimquat description of Eizenhut Swiss nursery (Z175 http://www.eisenhut.ch/dyn/index.php?id=285348&gruppe=Zitrus&q=&orderby=nummer&offset=175&modus=liste.

Best regards,
                       Ilya

Zitrusgaertner

• Vienna, Austria, European Union 7b
    • View Profile
    • www.agrumi.at
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2019, 08:25:55 AM »
911311 wrote
"If this article is true then your FD rootstock might have been a hybrid between a FD and standard Poncirus, not a pure FD."

I have never heard of PTXFD-Hybrids. Do they exist? Or are you talking hypothetically, 911311?

Florian

• Solothurn, Switzerland.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2019, 03:12:31 PM »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Citrofortunella-x-TRICIMEQUAT-Cold-Hardy-Citrus-Tree-SEEDS-/382704720418?oid=362495154487

I read on a French forum that ebay picture was taken from Procimquat description of Eizenhut Swiss nursery (Z175 http://www.eisenhut.ch/dyn/index.php?id=285348&gruppe=Zitrus&q=&orderby=nummer&offset=175&modus=liste.

Hmm, that really is Eisenhut's picture! In the ebay description it says this is supposed to be a Procimequat x Poncirus. One would expect a certain percentage of trifoliate leaves from such a cross, right?

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2019, 04:23:06 PM »
911311, not all Flying Dragon seed are true to type.  Approximately only 50 percent of Flying Dragon seed will produce true to type, no matter the age of the mother tree.  Flying Dragon as a cultivar always has zigzag stems and strongly curved thorns.  It is an easy way (without a DNA test) of selecting predominantly true clonal FD seedlings, while discarding those which are obviously and definitely  genetically different.  All straight stemmed and straight thorn are not FD. 
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 04:37:04 PM by Millet »

hardyvermont

• Anderson SC z 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2019, 02:31:35 PM »

Citrofortunella x Tricimequat

Up for bid are seeds of the Tricimequat.  This is a beautiful small cold hardy Citrus tree, that gets fragrant white flowers, and delicious sweet Kumquat like fruit (and Kumquat is in the parentage of this unique hybrid), and like all Kumquats, you eat the peel and all with these.  This unusual cross is a hybrid of the Procimequat (another Kumquat hybrid) crossed with Trifoliate Orange for additional hardiness, and amazingly there is no bad taste from the trifoliate.  I enjoy eating these just as much as my Meiwa Kumquats, but this tree is much more cold tolerant  It is a rounded upright grower, and this is evergreen.  They are hardy to at least USDA zone 7b, and quite possibly 7a.  These plants would make excellent additions to your rare plant collection, or just make a unique statement in your yard.

You are bidding on 5 seeds of Citrofortunella x Tricimequat.  greg17086
Apparently it's a (Hong Kong kumquat x (kumquat x lime)) x trifoliate hybrid.

Although the sale has now ended, I was able to goad the owner of One Green World into getting and trying to germinate them.

Maybe if this was further crossed with Ichangquat we might get something truly edible.

Oh, by the way, I recently got the opportunity to taste Meiwa and agree it's the tastiest kumquat I've gotten to taste so far.

PDXIan has had three sprout, has anyone else had any luck?  Seed arrived dry and now are floating on the top of water.   :-[

Another topic: citrus seed harvested in December of 2016 has surprisingly germinated.  Seed were kept damp in the refrigerator. 
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 05:46:37 PM by hardyvermont »

PDXIan

• USA, Portland, Oregon, 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2019, 02:50:20 PM »
I now have 6 that have sprouted.

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2019, 11:45:53 AM »
Update:
I was able to visit One Green World, and was given a tour of the back area, and they successfully sprouted two of the seeds on ebay I had encouraged them to buy. They are just tiny seedlings right now. Not available for sale right now, but perhaps in a few years they will have propagated more of them.

These are supposedly a Procimequat x trifoliate hybrids that are edible almost like a regular kumquat.