Author Topic: Are mangoes a good rootstock for other tropicals?  (Read 2062 times)

MarkoS

• Stuart, FL Zone 9B
    • USA, Florida, Stuart, 10A
    • View Profile
Are mangoes a good rootstock for other tropicals?
« on: September 12, 2012, 09:41:26 AM »
Can I use mango seedlings as rootstock for anything other than mangoes?  I have three mango trees in my yard that have been here since before the 50's when it was a mango grove.  Every year I see one or two seedlings emerge, even though I do a daily cleaning to keep the fruit flies at bay.  This year I've found at least six and some are getting to be a foot tall.  I may clone one of my mango trees but I'm wondering if there would be other uses for the remaining plants as rootstock.  I'm taking a grafting course with Fairchild in October but I'm getting tired of navigating my lawn mower around them. 

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Are mangoes a good rootstock for other tropicals?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 10:29:47 AM »
There are some other species of mangifera that may be compatible but mango will connect best. 

siafu

• 10a, Algarve, Portugal
    • View Profile
Re: Are mangoes a good rootstock for other tropicals?
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 10:31:28 AM »
 Hi,

The scion (the grafted part) and the rootstock have to be closely related.

Typically, you can graft within the same species.
 You can graft mangos onto mangos, apples onto apples and so on.

Grafting within the same genus (eg. Mangifera) is often possible but not assured.
For instance, the species belonging to Citrus are mostly compatible among them. However,
not all Annona species are graft compatible.

Grafting species belonging to different genus are incompatible, except for some exceptions.
You cannot graft mangos onto avocados, but you can graft loquats onto quince, for instance.

You mango will accept other mangos and might also accept mango relatives such as,
kasturi and gandaria.
Sérgio Duarte
Algarve, Portugal

--Vale sempre a pena, quando a alma não é pequena!