Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 620771 times)

HarbourJungle

• Indian Harbour Beach, Florida zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #825 on: December 06, 2013, 10:39:34 PM »
Greetings,

My name is Adam and I am a firefighter. I was fortunate enough to buy a house 3 years ago with nothing but grass around it, not one tree in the yard. At first I was pretty bummed about it but later realized I had a clean slate to  create whatever paradise I could dream up. It wasn't long before I stumbled across fruit trees. Now I am running out of room in the yard. I am growing avocado, mango, bananas, Jamaican cherry, black sapote, starfruit, miracle fruit, jaboticaba, peaches and my favorite atemoya. It's a fun challenge fighting the pest and salinity in my area, but well worth it to grow fresh fruit for my family. Sorry a little long winded just excited to have found this forum. Thanks

Osito

• Zone 10b
    • Long Beach, Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: December 08, 2013, 08:13:05 PM »
Hello I'm Brandon. I live in north Orange County California. Near long beach. I live in a condo with a small back yard so i can't go too many things but I did plant a Keitt mango, a sapodilla, dragon fruit , blood orange and a few other odds and ends. I'm really excited about my mango tree and the sapodilla!! Anyway hola everyone :)

rambutantx

• USA, TX, Euless, 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: December 10, 2013, 07:00:29 PM »
Hello everyone, my name is Souphanh leaving in Euless TX. I got interested in  growing tropical fruit tree when I stumbed on Cherri blog searching for something else other then fruit tree.  I thought to myself if she could grow them in PA, why not me in TX. My first tree was a sweetheart lychee, on the second year I almost got fruit, but one day of 45mph wind blow most of the bloom away.  From there on I got a few more to my collection,  kohala longan,  silaswood sapodila, nam doc mai mango(hail storm victim) and a bunch of  rambutan seedling(3month old as of today, Dec 10, 2013.  Looking forward to learn from everyone on this forum.

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: December 11, 2013, 04:33:00 PM »
Hello everyone, my name is Souphanh leaving in Euless TX. I got interested in  growing tropical fruit tree when I stumbed on Cherri blog searching for something else other then fruit tree.  I thought to myself if she could grow them in PA, why not me in TX. My first tree was a sweetheart lychee, on the second year I almost got fruit, but one day of 45mph wind blow most of the bloom away.  From there on I got a few more to my collection,  kohala longan,  silaswood sapodila, nam doc mai mango(hail storm victim) and a bunch of  rambutan seedling(3month old as of today, Dec 10, 2013.  Looking forward to learn from everyone on this forum.

Welcome aboard!  Are you growing these in the ground, or in pots and indoors/greenhouse, etc?

rambutantx

• USA, TX, Euless, 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: December 12, 2013, 07:54:53 AM »
Hi Triloba, all my fruits are in containers and now enjoying their winter vacation in a DIY 8X8 greenhouse.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: December 12, 2013, 03:16:47 PM »
Welcome to the forums Rambutantx.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

gdele

• UK, Avocados in Gambia
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: December 14, 2013, 07:18:32 AM »
Hello all,

My name is Greg, based in the UK (Coventry) and have just planted 100 avocado trees in The Gambia West Africa.

i must confess that I have no knowledge what so ever about planting and i'm hoping to muddle through with the support of your good selves!!

Currently I'm paying someone to water the avocado trees every other day but at some point would like to put in an irrigation system to make things easier for my farm manager.

I found this site by logging on to myavocadotrees.com  . . . all I can say is that I am a fast and keen learner.

Many thanks/regard

Greg

thewildpapaya

• Palm Beach County
    • View Profile
    • The Wild Papaya Nursery and Garden Center
« Reply #832 on: December 16, 2013, 05:12:33 PM »
Hi Everyone,
My name is Beatriz and i own the wild papaya nursery and garden center and you can visit us at www.thewildpapaya.com. You will find a great collection of tropical fruit trees.  I will be adding more this week so please keep checkin.  Not only do i own it but i have a true passion for tropical fruits. I enjoy traveling and discovering and tasting new tropical fruits. 

KAL

• morocco
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: December 31, 2013, 07:30:47 PM »
Hi All-
My name is khalid, I am a morrocan . 
I am happy to see this new forum and look forward to learning and interacting with the other members.

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: January 01, 2014, 07:35:37 AM »
Hi All-
My name is khalid, I am a morrocan . 
I am happy to see this new forum and look forward to learning and interacting with the other members.

Wellcome to this forum, neighbor ;) Where exactly are you located?

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: January 01, 2014, 07:39:12 AM »
Hello all,

My name is Greg, based in the UK (Coventry) and have just planted 100 avocado trees in The Gambia West Africa.

i must confess that I have no knowledge what so ever about planting and i'm hoping to muddle through with the support of your good selves!!

Currently I'm paying someone to water the avocado trees every other day but at some point would like to put in an irrigation system to make things easier for my farm manager.

I found this site by logging on to myavocadotrees.com  . . . all I can say is that I am a fast and keen learner.

Many thanks/regard

Greg

Wellcome Greg :)

It would be nice to see some pictures of your orchad in Gambia. Maybe we can give you some advices regarding the irrigation system. Where do you get the water from, river, well?

treefrog

• peace, love, and guavas!
    • jefferson county, fl (panhandle) 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: January 03, 2014, 12:10:36 AM »
hi, treefrog here

i'm retired, living in jefferson county (just east of tallahassee}  i was born and raised in winter haven, spent years in ft. myers.

i miss having home grown tropical fruit, so i built a greenhouse.  i have:
mangos - mallika, Neelam, cogshall, lancetilla, and maha chanok
avocados: brazos belle, wurtz dwarf, mexicola, winter mexican, joey, poncho, and an unnamed variety grafted from a tree growing in cairo, georgia
papayas, seedlings from grocery store fruit, both mexican and hawiian.
bananas: thousand finger, rajapuri, pisang ceylon, and two unnamed locals.

the greenhouse is a fairly new project. most of the trees were grafted in 3 gallon pots up to last speing.  a couple older.  so far nothing has  borne any fruit outside of one (1) Neelam mango a couple of months ago.  it was delicious.   presently, there are blossom buds on mexicola, joey, and poncho, and buds on other avos that may become blossoms.

with all that in a 24' x 30'   greenhouse, i expect it to be crowded when things get some size on them.  i expect to have to do a lot of size control pruning.  i may lose some of them to one thing or another.  i may also do some culling.  still, it's going to be crowded. 
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 09:45:10 AM by treefrog »
treefrog land and cattle company

fernando 01

• AIBONITO, PUERTO RICO
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: January 03, 2014, 12:08:53 PM »
I AM LOOKING FOR SOME MARULA TREE SEED. I LIVE IN PUERTO RICO FOR THE LAST 60 YEARS AND I LIKE TO PLANT TROPICAL FRUT PLANT

Frugivorous Hernan

« Reply #838 on: January 03, 2014, 12:38:35 PM »
Hello Everyone,

My name is Hernan Posada and I am originally from Colombia. In 2012, I started to become passionate about fruit.
I am 20 years old and will start my next chapter of my life in South Florida.
I am on a primarily fruit-based diet and will occasionally have leafy greens. I have been a raw foodist since December 2012 and this is how my passion of fruit began.

I may plan on moving to Costa Rica or Colombia some day but right now I will really be enjoying my time in South Florida.
I feel as if Tropical Fruit are the healthiest foods we can be consuming, as we originated in the tropics and we are physiologically designed to fit the qualities of fruit

In the summer of 2013, I attended the Woodstock Fruit Festival, one of the world's largest raw foods event with access to unlimited fruit and amazing presenters and speakers. Check it out at

Really looking forward to learning all that I possibly can about Tropical Fruit so I can start growing it in the backyard of my home in South Florida. It would be amazing if I could eat most of my food from my backyard.
I also look forward to meeting and connecting with like-minded people.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 04:22:31 PM by Frugivorous Hernan »

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: January 03, 2014, 12:43:16 PM »
Hello Everyone,

My name is Hernan Posada and I am originally from Colombia. In 2012, I started to become extremely passionate about fruit.
I am 20 years old and will be living permanently in South Florida starting Jan 7th, 2013.
I am on a 99% fruit diet and will occasionally have leafy greens. I have been a raw foodist since December 2012 and I have never felt so amazing in my life.
This fruit diet has inspired me to seek my passion in life which is to be a fruit hunter and some day have a huge fruit orchard and be a mentor for those who want to reach new levels of health and vitality through raw foods and fruit.
I may plan on moving to Costa Rica or Colombia some day but right now I will really be enjoying my time in South Florida.
I feel as if Tropical Fruit are the healthiest foods we can be consuming, having our biological origin in the tropics.

In the summer of 2013, I attended the Woodstock Fruit Festival, one of the world's largest raw foods event with access to unlimited fruit and amazing presenters and speakers.

Really looking forward to learning all that I possibly can about Tropical Fruit so I can start growing it in the backyard of my home in South Florida. It would be amazing if I could eat most of my food from my backyard.
I also look forward to meeting and connecting with like-minded people.
Hi Hernan! Nice to see you here! I love to be frugivorous too... maby one day when i have suficiente diferent fruits here... Thank you for sharing your experience!  ;D

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #840 on: January 03, 2014, 01:02:36 PM »
Welcome all new members.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Frugivorous Hernan

« Reply #841 on: January 03, 2014, 01:49:25 PM »
Thanks Luisport. Really glad to be joining this forum. There's no limit to how much I can learn here and it's amazing how everyone can expand their knowledge of the vast and mysterious world of fruit with the power of the internet.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 02:00:20 PM by Frugivorous Hernan »

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: January 03, 2014, 02:24:54 PM »
Thanks Luisport. Really glad to be joining this forum. There's no limit to how much I can learn here and it's amazing how everyone can expand their knowledge of the vast and mysterious world of fruit with the power of the internet.
And what fruits do you grow?

Frugivorous Hernan

« Reply #843 on: January 03, 2014, 04:41:09 PM »
Right now since I am just moving to South Florida, I don't have many fruits. I have a bunch of Banana plants whose variety is unknown. I also have 3-4 trees of jocotes (ciruelas).  I have a sugar cane palm as well.
I also have a huge avocado tree that rarely gives any fruit (around 3-4 avocadoes per year), an inga ice cream bean tree that has not fruited yet.

Most of the fruits in my backyard were planted by my neighbor, Elsy - she has a nursery that is really close to my house and when I checked it out this summer, there were an abundance of different mangoes and other really cool tropical fruit.
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=11.0

I am moving in with my parents again and will see if I can find some great trees as my backyard has a good amount of space. Looking to see if I can find great additions to my backyard.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 05:08:12 PM by Frugivorous Hernan »

Frugivorous Hernan

« Reply #844 on: January 03, 2014, 04:42:45 PM »
Fruits that I would like to grow include (Although i'm not sure if all of them are compatible with the climate): Dates, Figs, lots of Bananas, Papaya, Pineapple, Lychees, Persimmons, Caimito, Peanut Butter Fruit, Lucuma, Stinking Toe Fruit, Abiu, Santol, Cherimoya, Atemoya, Sugar Apple, Canistel, Mamey, Avocado, Miracle Fruit, Jaboticaba, Jackfruit, Sapodilla (Nispero), White Sapote, Chupa Chupa Sapote, Ross Sapote, Rollinia, all different types of melons etc.

My favorite fruits are the dense sweet tropical fruits that are dense in calories per weight like bananas, dates, canistel, etc., as well as the juicy ones like papaya and melons.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 08:28:54 PM by Frugivorous Hernan »

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: January 03, 2014, 04:49:34 PM »
Fruits that I would like to grow include: Papaya, Persimmons, Longan, Caimito, Lucuma, Abiu, Sugar Apple, Canistel, Mamey, Miracle Fruit, Figs, Sapodilla (Nispero), Chupa Chupa Sapote, Rollinia, all different types of melons etc.
You have to make a post with your fruit tree photos!  ;D

Ariel

• Israel
    • View Profile
Agronomist Ariel Shai from Israel
« Reply #846 on: January 04, 2014, 09:44:26 AM »
Hi fellows
I am 60 years old, specializing in subtropical and tropical fruits.
Living on my hobey farm in Central Israel growing exotics and rare fruits
I raise animals as horse, goats, farm dogs, chickens, ducks, quails
I have many types pf prickly pears, pitayas and longans among numerous other exotics
I am interested in the local wild species of the Medit. area such as wild almonds, carob, pistachios, oaks, rare figs and rare punica granatum such as the Black types that I breed

I have visited folks and collections around the globe countries some 30 years ago - where it was possible for an Israeli to visit, but did not cover South America.
Allan Carle and many Ausies   gave me that ime an introductory entrace to the Amazon Fruit literature and findings of those days

All are free to contact and share

Ariel

msk0072

• Greece, Crete, Hania, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Agronomist Ariel Shai from Israel
« Reply #847 on: January 04, 2014, 03:39:48 PM »
Hi fellows
I have many types pf prickly pears, pitayas and longans among numerous other exotics
I am interested in the local wild species of the Medit. area such as wild almonds, carob, pistachios, oaks, rare figs and rare punica granatum such as the Black types that I breed

I have visited folks and collections around the globe countries some 30 years ago - where it was possible for an Israeli to visit, but did not cover South America.
Allan Carle and many Ausies   gave me that ime an introductory entrace to the Amazon Fruit literature and findings of those days

Ariel

Welcome to the forum "neighbor". This a great place to learn, to teach and to exchange ideas, experiences, seeds, plants etc!
Mike

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: January 04, 2014, 04:11:12 PM »
Hi fellows

Ariel

Welcome to the forum "neighbor". This a great place to learn, to teach and to exchange ideas, experiences, seeds, plants etc!
Welcome to the forum community.

Is that a male papaya plant with fruits? Ive never seen papaya fruit like that from a papaya plant before. Very interesting  :o

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: January 04, 2014, 05:25:01 PM »
Shalom Ariel! Very nice to see you in this forum!

I would be very interested in pommegranate and opuntia cuttings. I do not have much terperate fruiting plants, but can share a lot of tropical seeds and scions  ;)