Author Topic: Plinia sp. Shawi from ebay  (Read 16159 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Plinia sp. Shawi from ebay
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2014, 04:12:02 AM »
I received seeds from a couple of Brazilian sources and they were more in this style and I was told they are a small tree.
http://www.microsofttranslator.com/bv.aspx?ref=SERP&br=ro&mkt=en-AU&dl=en&lp=PT_EN&a=http%3a%2f%2fwww.colecionandofrutas.org%2feugeniasubterminalis.htm

The ones in that link you posted Oscar look like something quite different.It could be the ghost of Plinia rivularis coming back to haunt us.

Like i said in previous post, the mulchi that Jim West has is probably not Eugenia subterminalis. I think his mulchi is a type of Plinia sp., or the Shawi we've been talking about in this thread, a cauliflorous large fruit. So that thesis paper i posted has it right. That photo Helton has is probably the real Eugenia subterminalis, much smaller plant with much smaller seeds, not cauliflorous.
Oscar

fruithunter

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2014, 10:12:12 AM »
I received seeds from a couple of Brazilian sources and they were more in this style and I was told they are a small tree.
http://www.microsofttranslator.com/bv.aspx?ref=SERP&br=ro&mkt=en-AU&dl=en&lp=PT_EN&a=http%3a%2f%2fwww.colecionandofrutas.org%2feugeniasubterminalis.htm

The ones in that link you posted Oscar look like something quite different.It could be the ghost of Plinia rivularis coming back to haunt us.

Like i said in previous post, the mulchi that Jim West has is probably not Eugenia subterminalis. I think his mulchi is a type of Plinia sp., or the Shawi we've been talking about in this thread, a cauliflorous large fruit. So that thesis paper i posted has it right. That photo Helton has is probably the real Eugenia subterminalis, much smaller plant with much smaller seeds, not cauliflorous.
Oscar, I think mulchi is a certain plinia too, judging from its seed, leaf and fruit. It makes me have a association with jaboticaba and cambuca. Jim West also sent me some super big mulchi seeds which are much bigger than cambucas'. He also emailed me a fruit photo, the fruit is even over 4 inches cross.
He told me that knife is a standard size, 4 inches long.

I also wonder why mulchi was categorized in eugenia.
Rock

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2014, 01:16:14 PM »
3 plants I have labeled as E. subterminalis

i remember there is a dwarf one and a regular type...I don't remember which one I have.

they are very slow growing!

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2014, 03:30:35 PM »

Oscar, I think mulchi is a certain plinia too, judging from its seed, leaf and fruit. It makes me have a association with jaboticaba and cambuca. Jim West also sent me some super big mulchi seeds which are much bigger than cambucas'. He also emailed me a fruit photo, the fruit is even over 4 inches cross.

Yes i am saying same thing as you Rock. The mulchi is really a species of Plinia. The paper i linked to is correct: Mulchi, or Shawi, is Plinia sp. I think Jim West just got it wrong. He is the one that has attached the name Eugenia subterminalis to the mulchi. You won't find that in any book. Probably Helton has it right, and photo on his website is the real Eugenia subterminalis.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2014, 03:34:00 PM »

i remember there is a dwarf one and a regular type...I don't remember which one I have.

Yes, Jim West has a fruit he is calling mulchi, and one he is calling dwarf mulchi. I think they are different species. But not sure on that one as i don't have the dwarf mulchi. I will be visiting Jim in a few months, so hopefully he can shed some light on this controversy. And ofcourse i'll try to get some photos.
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2014, 05:18:24 PM »
Oscar,

I commend you for your scholarly efforts...I hadn't considered the fact that they could be separate species...but I wouldn't be surprised!

I believe my seedlings came from seeds from Jim West.

I hope you get lots of good info a pictures on your next trip!!

Yes, Jim West has a fruit he is calling mulchi, and one he is calling dwarf mulchi. I think they are different species. But not sure on that one as i don't have the dwarf mulchi. I will be visiting Jim in a few months, so hopefully he can shed some light on this controversy. And ofcourse i'll try to get some photos.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2014, 06:28:19 AM »
Here is a photo of Plinia edulis (cambuca) on left and a plant from a seed i got from Jim West labeled as Eugenia subterminalis on the right.

They sure do look similar to each other. I'm pretty sure now that what Jim has labeled as Eugenia subterminalis is actually some type of Plinia sp. I got seeds from this vendor in Germany calling them Shawi and they do look like very large cambuca seeds.
And just for fun here is a seedling from Helton labeled as Plinia rivularis:

And here is a photo of seedlings from Ricardo labeled Plinia rivularis:

The seedlings from Ricardo are much more vigorous and faster growing than the ones from Helton.
Oscar

rac78

• Austalia Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2014, 09:39:30 AM »
Update on Shawi seeds. I got home from Brisbane to find 1 of my seeds of the Plinia sp. Shawi has popped its little head up. Very interesting and pretty colours

Six days later

« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 08:31:46 AM by rac78 »
Russell

rac78

• Austalia Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2014, 09:40:59 AM »
Sorry about the lighting, the green is much deeper in natural light
Russell

rac78

• Austalia Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2014, 02:39:10 AM »

sorry if it's a bit blury
Russell

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2014, 02:52:36 AM »
Mine did not survive and to add insult to injury I received giant mulchi,standard mulchi and dwarf mulchi seeds in the mail that didn't survive.The giant mulchi seeds looked the same as the shawi.
Looking good Russ.

rac78

• Austalia Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2014, 03:13:07 AM »
I got another one or two starting to show signs of life, must have luck on my side. Next one up is yours Mike
Russell

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2014, 05:50:58 AM »
Thanks Russ.I dug up of the 2 and it was being eaten by tiny red ants that sting.They also ate mungaba seeds,capaucu,platonia and sunk the slipper in while I'm down by eating the best 4 species of Campomanesias planted 5 days ago.The little mongrels make a beeline for those species and come up through the bottom of the pot.I hope I rescued the Couepias in time.
These friggin ants have targetted all the glamorous species and turned up their noses at the trash I shouldn't have planted anyway.

wampishuk

• Germany, Baden-Württemberg
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2017, 10:20:30 AM »

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes i am saying same thing as you Rock. The mulchi is really a species of Plinia. The paper i linked to is correct: Mulchi, or Shawi, is Plinia sp. I think Jim West just got it wrong. He is the one that has attached the name Eugenia subterminalis to the mulchi. You won't find that in any book. Probably Helton has it right, and photo on his website is the real Eugenia subterminalis.
[/quote]
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 10:24:38 AM by wampishuk »

wampishuk

• Germany, Baden-Württemberg
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2017, 10:27:46 AM »
I would like to answer a riddle - the tree is Plinia inflata. Local Shuar name is Shawi.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2017, 05:20:04 PM »
I posted all this information in a past separate previous thread, but will repost here.  Shawi is the same as mulchi, just different indigenous names for same fruit. Jim West realized long ago that Eugenia subterminalis was wrong name for the mulchi. He later told me correct name is Eugenia inflata. The giant mulchi is just a large selection of same fruit, Eugenia inflata, that he has made.
The one that Jim is calling dwarf mulchi is a different species of eugenia but Jim doesn't know what species it is yet. I have seeds of dwarf mulchi right now if anyone is interested? This plant fruits a lot faster than the Eugenia inflata.
Oscar

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2017, 05:11:38 AM »
I posted all this information in a past separate previous thread, but will repost here.  Shawi is the same as mulchi, just different indigenous names for same fruit. Jim West realized long ago that Eugenia subterminalis was wrong name for the mulchi. He later told me correct name is Eugenia inflata. The giant mulchi is just a large selection of same fruit, Eugenia inflata, that he has made.
The one that Jim is calling dwarf mulchi is a different species of eugenia but Jim doesn't know what species it is yet. I have seeds of dwarf mulchi right now if anyone is interested? This plant fruits a lot faster than the Eugenia inflata.

What's the taste like?  How big are the trees?  Container grown potential?

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2017, 10:11:19 AM »
"What's the taste like?  How big are the trees?  Container grown potential?"

+1

:)
ONLINE SHOP:

https://www.huertasurbanas.com/shop

30% Discount Coupon: FIRST

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2017, 04:02:59 PM »
The dwarf mulchi can easily be fruited in a pot. The taste is somewhat similar to jaboticaba.
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk