Author Topic: is this guava grafted?  (Read 2274 times)

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
is this guava grafted?
« on: March 09, 2019, 01:04:55 PM »
I have a store bought Ruby Supreme guava.  It was extremely healthy until a month or two ago when I sprayed it with too high of a concentration of hort oil.  It turned completely black and defoliated.   It just pushed out some new growth at the very bottom.  I can't find an obvious graft line, but I don't know much about guavas.  It must be grafted to be a named variety, right?   I'm wondering if the rootstock variety is still a good eating guava (just not pink) or if it isn't grafted at all, or what.  I can't order a new one until it warms up a bit anyway.

Zpusher

• DFW z8
    • View Profile
Re: is this guava grafted?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2019, 01:13:10 PM »
It's my understanding that guavas are hard to graft. Most guavas being sold are air layers so the new growth should still be the same variety.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2019, 02:01:56 PM »
Excellent!  Thank you. 

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2019, 10:26:42 PM »
I don't think they are hard to graft per se. It's just that they tend to sucker from below the scion, even after the tree is old and established. They're also super easy to layer.

But yah, it's very, very likely an air layer.
Jeff  :-)

MameyDisco

• Guayabero
  • Cuban Seeds Floridian Sunset
    • U.S.A., Florida, Homestead / Redland, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Tropication Rare Plants
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 01:00:22 AM »
Well said. Can we trust all Home Depot labels? Ruby x Supreme seems to have variants out there.
Tropication Nursery - https://TropicationPlants.com

DJ Mamey Disco's Softer Than Satin MIXES - https://www.mixcloud.com/softersatin

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 11:51:38 AM »
The HD labels on the guava would be trustworthy. The ruby x supreme is the standard pink guava sold here in FL. There is another ruby supreme called 10-30, but it's generally not sold. It resists fruit fly attack a little better, but to me the taste was a little bitter. I ended up yanking mine.

Make sure to bag your fruits if you're in FL. The caribbean fruit fly will ruin an entire crop. Organza bags work very well.

Well said. Can we trust all Home Depot labels? Ruby x Supreme seems to have variants out there.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2019, 12:34:35 PM »
I graft guavas all time but as cookie says they sucker like crazy you have to stay on top of them. I don’t like airlayers I much rather graft

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2019, 09:03:32 PM »
The HD labels on the guava would be trustworthy. The ruby x supreme is the standard pink guava sold here in FL. There is another ruby supreme called 10-30, but it's generally not sold. It resists fruit fly attack a little better, but to me the taste was a little bitter. I ended up yanking mine.

Make sure to bag your fruits if you're in FL. The caribbean fruit fly will ruin an entire crop. Organza bags work very well.

When should the organza bags go over the fruit? Even before the flowers open or after that?

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2019, 09:18:42 PM »
When fruits are size of fingernail roughly.

When should the organza bags go over the fruit? Even before the flowers open or after that?

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2019, 05:24:18 PM »
I just bought organza bags for guava. 6x9 inches for 15 cents each. That size should be OK for the clusters of 3 fruit which I hope to get, they are flowering that way.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2019, 06:35:13 PM »
depends on size. My taiwanese guavas are the size of softballs. Had to get the big boys for those.

The nice thing is that the bags last for years. I've been getting mine from papermart.com.

I just bought organza bags for guava. 6x9 inches for 15 cents each. That size should be OK for the clusters of 3 fruit which I hope to get, they are flowering that way.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2019, 07:05:01 PM »

They get bigger if you thin clusters of 3 down to 1.
Brad Spaugh

carcarlo

• USA Florida Tampa
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2019, 08:54:47 AM »
Hi Guys, I have never used the bags before, do the Organza bags work on Reticulatas too, or will they keep the fruit from coloring? I leave the Fruits on the Tree for as long as possible, and that sometimes is a problem
My Reticulatas have a (Guarapo) fresh squeeze Sugar Cane Juice smell on the outside that attracts critters, and I was wondering if the bags will help.
Carlos