Author Topic: Hog Plum Not Leafing Out  (Read 689 times)

clllocke

• Los Angeles 10b
    • View Profile
Hog Plum Not Leafing Out
« on: July 30, 2022, 09:05:51 PM »
Hello everyone,

I have had these two hog plums, red and yellow for 1 to 2 years each. For some reason this year they have not grown any leaves. The yellow variety had one fruit that accidentally was nicked off and the red variety had a bunch of flowers in the spring that did not grow fruit.

Each plant has not grown leaves at all this year. The red variety is trying to put out flowers still but they don't fully open and just dry up. My other red hog plum is doing fine in the same exact conditions. It also didn't hold any fruit this year unlike last, but it's grow vigorously as expected for this plant.

Anyone know what the issue could be? Does the tree take year off in between fruiting? Could it be root rot? They are in grow bags so that should be a major issue.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Growing red hog plum

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Hog Plum Not Leafing Out
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2022, 07:35:36 AM »
They are very tough trees. Even large limbs can survive after being cut off. If it is impossiblke to be too wet, it must be too dry.

clllocke

• Los Angeles 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2022, 09:34:20 AM »
Dry meaning air or water? My other tree is growing so its confusing as to why the other two are not.

Have you had this issue? Did it just resolve itself?

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2022, 09:27:12 PM »
No, I don't keep trees in pots, always plant in ground. I was just trying to think logically. I've never planted in those sort of bags but expect they drain very well compared to plastic pots.

clllocke

• Los Angeles 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2022, 01:28:52 AM »
Thanks for feedback. Yeah not sure what it is. One of hog plums is in a black plastic pot that has stayed moisture and the other one is grow back not growing either. The last one is in grow bag too but is growing vigorously as it should.

I'm not sure if this is a matter of the plant fru
Flowering early then not setting fruit and not recovering thus going dormant until next year.

Anyone else with any suggestions?

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2022, 08:02:28 AM »
How much direct sunlight do they get? Give it some dilute (~ 1/10 strength) liquid fert with micros and observe for a month. I transplanted a large yellow type trunk that was severely root pruned to a new location and it took 4-5 months before it  leafed out. Is the bark still green when scraped? Potting up might induce some vigor.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

clllocke

• Los Angeles 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2022, 08:57:54 AM »
The trunk and branches are definitely still green. Only the very tip of the branches have completely dried out. Currently they are getting 6 to 8 hours of sun.

I have put slow release in the pot on the spring but can try liquid as well. It's just weird to me that my adjacent hog plum is perfectly fine. The red hog plum without leaves has been trying to occasionally put out little flowers that do not fully open. They dry up.