Author Topic: Lychee Erinose Mite Eradication program begins in Florida  (Read 2045 times)

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
Lychee Erinose Mite Eradication program begins in Florida
« on: May 09, 2020, 05:54:18 PM »
The nursery inspector visited me for annual inspection and I asked about the Lychee mite progress.
I was told that an eradication program will begin soon beginning on the East coast and progressing to the suspected origin on Pine Island, Lee County SWFL. Trees will be defoliated and sprayed weekly over 8 weeks with wettable sulfur at no cost. All debris will be disposed, likely by burning.

Here is a .pdf fact sheet:
https://www.fdacs.gov/content/download/91059/file/LEM_control_actions_Residential.pdf

Webpage with map:
https://www.fdacs.gov/Agriculture-Industry/Pests-and-Diseases/Plant-Pests-and-Diseases/Lychee-Erinose-Mite

FAQ on sulfur miticide:
https://www.fdacs.gov/content/download/91056/file/FAQS-Elemental-Sulfer.pdf

Inside information from the inspector was that the effort was delayed by funding and getting an Emergecy Use Authorization for the use of sulfur as miticide on Lychee. I was told that insecticide companies are loathe to pay costs associated with getting their products "listed" for minor crops. He also showed me a GPS based phone App which had been developed showing all known infested trees in the state which is very detailed but still needs further work.

HE ENCOURAGED ME TO SPREAD THE WORD THAT DEPARTMENT OF PLANT INDUSTRY WANTS TO KNOW THE LOCATION OF ALL LYCHEE TREES TO MAKE THEIR EFFORTS EFFECTIVE. PLEASE CALL IN THE LOCATION OF AFFECTED OR NON AFFECTED TREES TO THEIR HOTLINE 1-888-397-1517.

LarryG

• View Profile
Re: Lychee Erinose Mite Eradication program begins in Florida
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2020, 10:13:35 PM »
Thanks for the update. An inspector from FDACS came to my property in Palm Beach County two weeks ago, took samples and GPS'd the affected trees. I have been removing and bagging all of the LEM damaged branches and keeping them on site. I'm glad to hear that they will be starting their spray program soon.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2020, 10:54:48 AM »
They inspected several affected locations in Delray Beach, close to a year ago, and made all those same promises then.  No show.
Har

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2020, 09:49:48 PM »
They inspected several affected locations in Delray Beach, close to a year ago, and made all those same promises then.  No show.
I was told at that time they didn't have the listing for sulfur and more importantly, the money. This is going to cost a lot of money. Surely the government will always move swiftly to protect us from all harm?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2020, 05:26:35 AM »
Once erinose mite is in you can't eradicate, all you can do is control. They spread over the whole tree, not just leaves or branches.
Oscar

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2020, 08:03:45 AM »
I forgot to mention they plan to paint the trees white for sun protection while defoliaated. Fruitlovers they say they eradicated the mites twice before once in the '50's once in '60's. It wasn't on Pine Island or elsewhere a few years ago. Perhaps not related but some have noted it was noticed not long after Hurricane Irma. They believe the mite is smaall enough to be transported by honeybees. I understand it is endemic in Hawaii?

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2020, 02:03:11 PM »
I assume there is a tipping point beyond which it is impractical to defoliate and treat every single tree in a region.  Possibly Hawaii passed that point.

What they have proposed is drastic.  Remove all new growth (that is still green), defoliate the tree, spray and inspect over several weeks as new growth emerge.  Take the removed materials away disposal (likely burning).
... not just in commercial orchards, but in dooryards too.  That is a huge undertaking.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2020, 10:52:15 PM »
I forgot to mention they plan to paint the trees white for sun protection while defoliaated. Fruitlovers they say they eradicated the mites twice before once in the '50's once in '60's. It wasn't on Pine Island or elsewhere a few years ago. Perhaps not related but some have noted it was noticed not long after Hurricane Irma. They believe the mite is smaall enough to be transported by honeybees. I understand it is endemic in Hawaii?
No the erinose mite is not endemic to Hawaii. It was introduced, probably through plants coming in. Probably same as happened in Florida. It's widespread here. It doesn't kill the trees, nor does it do a lot of damage, unless the trees are badly infested. Once this pest is introduced it is extremely difficult to get rid of completely. That is why for very many years Florida prohibited any lychee plants or plant parts from coming into the state.
Oscar

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2020, 06:10:06 PM »
What are the risks of buying trees from nurseries now? I was going to purchase two trees, but I noticed I'm in one of the yellow regions (on the state's pdf map) and wondering if it might be best to wait.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2020, 07:46:40 PM »
What are the risks of buying trees from nurseries now? I was going to purchase two trees, but I noticed I'm in one of the yellow regions (on the state's pdf map) and wondering if it might be best to wait.

Many nurseries in the infected area cant or wont sell them.  Its not a good time for lychee trees.  May want to consider a longan until this get controlled (which I highly doubt will be done in the next year based on the State's proposed program/plan).
- Rob

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2020, 08:03:35 PM »
Ive googled this mite and i think a really good insecticide for this is the essential thyme oil ( mixed with horticultural oil and dish detergent).
Its works for sure to kill the mites without killing beneficial insects.
The only thing i dont know if lychee trees suport it,if they are affected or not.

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2020, 10:45:19 AM »
Many nurseries in the infected area cant or wont sell them.  Its not a good time for lychee trees.  May want to consider a longan until this get controlled (which I highly doubt will be done in the next year based on the State's proposed program/plan).
Sounds right, figured that might be the case. Thanks for the tip on longan, I'll check those out.

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2020, 12:54:55 PM »
That explains why I am hardly see any Lychee are selling in the local supermarket here.