Author Topic: You can't touch this!  (Read 12623 times)

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
You can't touch this!
« on: July 20, 2015, 01:07:28 PM »
All right you Florida/Cali mango growing girlie men, step aside. We grow 'em big in Texas.  Variety - the politically in-correct 'Redskin'.    ::) A little over 4" across, pure juice and sugar. Most have a redder skin than this but this one is soft and tree ripened to the max. ;)  The peach ice cream is to die for.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: You can't touch this!
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 02:01:06 PM »
But you didn't show everybody the inside (yes, looks can be deceiving).

Hahahahahahahahahahaha   ;) ;D 8) :P
- Rob

BrettBorders

• tropical fruit is a taste of paradise
    • Lake Worth, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 03:12:14 PM »
Looks nice! I would love to try some good peaches... I think I may have only had  "OK" commercial ones that were shipped for several hundred miles.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 09:45:29 PM »
Peaches are good mango substitutes. Mangoes substitute for peaches. The peaches in supermarkets are utter crap with split pits, mushy insides, never ripen...... I rarely bother with them anymore.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 10:50:53 PM by zands »

Droshi

• Raleigh NC - USDA Zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 09:57:13 PM »
Peaches are good mango substitutes. The ones in supermarkets are utter crap with split pits, mushy insides, never ripen...... I rarely bother with them anymore.

This is true of almost any home-grown fruit! My white flesh peaches this year were something amazing to taste.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 10:04:14 PM »
Mangoes are the peaches of the tropics. Peach no doubt is an excellent fruit. But i haven't heard of any peaches that taste like guava, pineapple, coconut, lemon zest, fruit punch, pina colada, or even coca cola syrup.  ;)
Oscar

jez251

• Miami, FL Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 09:22:27 AM »
I would recommend trying some of the white peaches occasionally offered for sale at Publix, Walmart, etc. They are night and day as compared to the regular peaches.

Jaime

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 09:47:06 AM »
Rob, don't give up your day job.  :P

What I like about peaches is not only the delicious taste but the ease in processing them.  Mangos, although pure nectar of the gods, is a royal PITA to process....cut up plus the seed is huge compared to a peach tree.  Another one of our faves is cantaloupe.  The Sierra Gold is every bit as rich and sweet as a mango.  It should do as well in Florida as Texas.  Am also eating Canary melons and almost seedless watermelon that came up in some compost I threw out around a tree. 

OK, here's our favorite fruit dressing, Marzetti, see the photo.  Any one tried this one?  Wow! 

Droshi is talking about the Belle of Georgia which is a sub-acid peach.  Great fruit.  My peaches are sweet and have a hit of acid.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 09:53:43 AM »
I would recommend trying some of the white peaches occasionally offered for sale at Publix, Walmart, etc. They are night and day as compared to the regular peaches.

Jaime

You've never had a Fredericksburg/Stonewall peach.   :D  Much finer than Georgia and of course over the top compared to store bought peaches.  I'm in the heart of Texas peach production and most if not all let their peaches tree ripen.  Truck farming and highway stands is how most peaches are sold locally.

I might put in a white Belle of Georgia or top work the Redskin, which is worthless when it comes to production.   For those who have the chill hours (700-800) my peach growing friend recommends Loring, Redglobe and Bounty.   

Rtreid

• Zone 10a Sunset zone 24
  • Zone 10a, Sunset 24, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2015, 04:29:08 PM »
Looks like some mighty fine peaches!

My peach season is just about finished, but I must say I had pretty good crops this year considering I had less than 50 chill hours!

Cheers,
Richard

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 01:15:07 AM »
What I like about peaches is not only the delicious taste but the ease in processing them.  Mangos, although pure nectar of the gods, is a royal PITA to process....cut up plus the seed is huge compared to a peach tree.

Ya, where the heck are the new Zill freestone mango varieties!!!

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2015, 01:22:26 AM »
What I like about peaches is not only the delicious taste but the ease in processing them.  Mangos, although pure nectar of the gods, is a royal PITA to process....cut up plus the seed is huge compared to a peach tree.

Ya, where the heck are the new Zill freestone mango varieties!!!

::) ::) ::)
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2015, 02:52:49 AM »
Ask Zill to work on a seedless mango, or a mango with a pit the size of a peach pit.  ;) Also can you ask him to make them not so messy? HAHA
Oscar

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2015, 09:07:24 AM »
Ahhhhhhh, a seedless mango. Nothing a GMO engineer can't handle by tossing around a few genes.  Where's Monsanto when you need them?

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2015, 09:16:37 AM »
Looks like some mighty fine peaches!

My peach season is just about finished, but I must say I had pretty good crops this year considering I had less than 50 chill hours!

Cheers,
Richard

Good on ya!  I must have had 300 peaches on my Harvester tree.  First were really big.  The hundred or so smaller ones we froze and a friend made into ice cream a few times. 

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2015, 07:19:23 AM »
"Redskin" variety, fist size, delicious.  Stand-over-the-sink juicy.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 07:27:23 AM by Mark in Texas »

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2015, 09:22:01 AM »
Very nice peaches

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2015, 03:06:37 PM »
Peaches are awesome. Our local u-pick place had a total crop loss this year due to late freeze.

We bought a box of "Majestic" peaches from The Peach Truck, and they were horrible. Every peach had at least a good dose of astringency, and some were so astringent as to be totally inedible.

So yes - good peaches are hard to come by.

I will say I have started peeling any peaches I buy, as they are all conventionally raised and loaded with chemical sprays. A friend of mine is looking to start his own u-pick peach orchard and has been telling me all the chemical he is going to "have to" spray. ....nuts.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2015, 03:30:48 PM »
I live in the heart of peach country.  All peaches sold are tree ripened.  Commercial growers consider 1 out of 3 years of a good crop, which means no late blossom killing frosts, as at least break even.

If you're worried about "chemicals" (not sure what that means) then have your fruit tested.  Here in peach country we're all healthy in spite of the sprays which are labeled for consumables.

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2015, 06:26:23 PM »
I'm not out to debate the safety of conventionally grown produce. My point, perhaps badly made, was that peaches here (TN) require lots of "things" to be sprayed on them to be viable/marketable. I like to limit my consumption of those things.

Mark I thought you to be an organic type of guy? Just curious

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2015, 08:20:06 AM »
I'm a smart, reasonable kind of guy that takes care of my health and that of the environment.  Yes, I use the hell outta organics which included 3 years of growing legumes and elbon rye and continuous use of compost, manures, etc. now.  I also use pesticides such as imidacloprid, Forbid 4F (for mites) fungicides, etc. when required (which is rare) all labeled safe when used properly on consumables.  I'm in the heart of commercial peach production and the peach growers use the hell outta of fungicides and probably insecticides like Sevin.  Sorry to disappoint, but everyone's quite healthy and still kickin' around these parts.  :D

Here's an interesting study of residuals found in mangos after very heavy use 17 insecticides in all stages of growth.  There is no negative health effect.   
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4014508/ 

IMO, the organic green movement is one big lie, a religion, with an agenda to make organic snake oil salesmen rich. It's a racket with such bullshit spewed as organic grown food is safer, more nutritious yada yada.  What do you mean "I like to limit my consumption of those things"?  Exactly  what is on them. You have had the skins tested, yes, or you driven by feelings only which is what drives the organic and natural market?   :o  Recommend you talk to a non-partisan, university supported entomologist and get the facts on specific pesticides.  You can't paint the tools with a broad stroke of "chemicals".  That's like saying all peoples are the same.

http://reason.com/archives/2013/02/22/the-top-five-lies-about-biotech-crops

http://www.geneticliteracyproject.org/2014/07/15/study-claiming-organic-food-more-nutritious-deeply-flawed-say-independent-scientists/
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 08:25:27 AM by Mark in Texas »

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2015, 08:25:28 AM »
No, you're not disappointing me here. I'm no paragon of green/organic living. I ingest my fair share of residuals on a regular basis.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2015, 08:27:56 AM »
No, you're not disappointing me here. I'm no paragon of green/organic living. I ingest my fair share of residuals on a regular basis.

Sorry, I get on my band wagon when the subject comes up.  My best resource in trying to sort all this stuff out was to talk to an entomologist. Like Obamaisms, I'm really sick of political correctness and that includes the way we grow food.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2015, 08:31:22 AM »
Change gears.  L love mangos but I HATE to process them because of the big seed.  If Zill or any other breeder could come up with a seedless mango or at least one that has a very small seed, it would be killer.  The small seed of a Sharwil or Pinkerton avocado sure makes for some nice eating and processing!  ;)

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2015, 03:21:59 PM »

Sorry, I get on my band wagon when the subject comes up.  My best resource in trying to sort all this stuff out was to talk to an entomologist. Like Obamaisms, I'm really sick of political correctness and that includes the way we grow food.

It's all good. Thanks for saying.

Slicko

• Brisbane, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2015, 01:39:43 AM »
A pic of my Florda Prince in full flower at the moment. This is its third season and the fruit is just magnificent, really sweet and very juicy.. almost like eating a mango. The tree started to flower in autumn and it has held its fruit over our sub tropic winter.

Sorry about the side on pic. It was up the right way when I posted it

Mick
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 01:44:22 AM by Slicko »

starch

• My brain is like oatmeal
    • Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2015, 09:50:04 AM »
Slicko,

I have a Floridaprince too, and it is a great peach! I have a young tree and it set 3 dozen fruits which I thinned down to a dozen. And when they started to ripen in April the birds got every one of them :( But I was able to get a few bites of of some of the peaches and they were very good. And they will only get better as the tree matures, so I am very psyched!

I did flash tape as a bird repellent, and it did nothing. I will definitely have to use aviary netting in the spring.

I wants me some more peaches! :)
- Mark

Slicko

• Brisbane, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2015, 11:20:27 PM »
G'day Starch,
Last year we had a couple of dozen peaches off the florda prince and they were just the best! Over here we have a range of pests that want to share the fruit with us, birds, possums, the family dog and the Queensland fruit fly which lays its eggs in the fruit and it's maggots ruin the fruit. The only way of dealing with them is to either bag the fruit individually or net the entire tree. The pic shows my net canopy with its sides up (for pollination purposes).

I hope the pic comes up the right way this time.

Mick

Sorry about the pic! Does anyone know how to fix this?

« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 11:24:44 PM by Slicko »

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2015, 08:15:41 AM »
Slicko, one of the easiest, intuitive yet powerful image viewer and editor is a freebie called IrfanViewer.  Been using it for decades, would not touch Photoshop and such.  http://www.irfanview.com/

Hit Open, click on file to load into the program, Image, Vertical Flip and then save.  Easy peasy......

<Rotate Right> option

Nice canopy btw.  ;)

« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 08:19:31 AM by Mark in Texas »

starch

• Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2015, 09:26:38 AM »
Slicko, That is a nice net! I will be doing something similar. Sorry to hear about your pests (same problems, different continent :) ), but glad you are dealing with them. Thanks for sharing!
- Mark

fruit delivery vancouver

• Office fruit delivery
    • Vancouver
    • View Profile
    • office fruit delivery vancouver
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2015, 03:22:48 PM »
We've got some great BC peaches right now that could give you a run for your money from the Okanagan Valley
office fruit and snacks
www.fruitfulloffices.ca

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2015, 03:25:40 PM »
We've got some great BC peaches right now that could give you a run for your money from the Okanagan Valley

And just how great are they?

starch

• Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2015, 03:33:24 PM »
Sounds like the setup to a joke --

These peaches are so great.
How great are they?
They are so great, that ...

:)