Author Topic: Which variety is my papaya  (Read 868 times)

Petros45

• Greece, Crete, Heraklion, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Which variety is my papaya
« on: June 10, 2019, 09:07:35 AM »

it looks like thai kak dam or khaek dam or how is it called, the fruits have its the 1st years, still not have eaten, its now more than 2 years old the tree

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
Re: Which variety is my papaya
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 12:38:34 PM »
Khaek Dam has become a bit generic 'within' Thailand, it was one of the most widely planted papayas alongside Holland.  I would say that if you bought seeds from Thailand labeled as Khaek Dam and the papaya has an excellent sweet test that ripens evenly, then you have Khaek Dam.  One unique thing about Khaek Dam is because of the slim profile, on hermie plants you should have 2-3 papayas hanging from each flower stem.  Also Khaek Dam will take a break from for 2-3 months after a big fruit set.  It grows tall immediately, but the trunk is strong, and will widen and support itself up to 30 feet tall.

However because it was so widely distributed, the authors of this article https://www.technologychaoban.com/news-slide/article_7772 say that it has been cross pollinated and 'adapted', 'changed'.. sorry for the wrong word in translation, but to say the  distributed genes now do not match the original variety.  So that really when you buy Khaek Dam, to accurately know what you are growing search for varieties that are clearly labeled what they are with an adjective or province added as a suffix.

e.g.  Khaek Dam Nuan  แขกดำ +  ดำ  or shortened to  แขกนวล

I have personally planted Khaek Dam Nuan, and it is really the best papaya I ever had.  The slim profile allows for you to really allow this papaya to ripen to a very rich sweet red flavor similar to a ripe watermelon.   This is main problem with Holland, the outer skin will rot before the inside ripeness matches the outside.  With Khaek Dam you can allow to ripen first, then I add to the fridge for a day or to continue to ripen delicately.  This article says Brix measured at 13.44

Khaek Dam Nuan favors male and female from seed, hermaphrodite tends to be about <30% from seed.  It can handle 2 feet of rainfall overnight as long as it drains off.

Petros45

• Greece, Crete, Heraklion, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 02:27:02 PM »
i think i had buy the seeds from ebay and seller was from thailand, how it looks like when is fully ripened with red color inside? to know so i will pick it when have the best taste and nutritious, what do you suggest in general?

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 03:24:09 PM »
different varieties of Khaek Dam will ripen from dark orange to red inside, but not yellow.  Like I said, Khaek Dam is a generic term now, but still a very good parent strain. The main identifying quality of a Khaek Dam is long slender fruits.  This factor is so important because it allows the papaya to ripen quickly and evenly, giving it extra sweetness.

Papaya is best left to ripen as long as possible on the tree, or min. suggested guidelines by University of Hawaii I think is 25% skin color change:  Outside skin showing yellow/orange color at least 25%

Problem is papaya left on the tree to ripen fully will usually be poked open by birds, or fruit flies,  once it starts smelling good and gets soft.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk