Author Topic: Uvaia fruiting  (Read 2898 times)

Guoyang Gao

• XiChang, SiChuan Province,China 10b
    • View Profile
Uvaia fruiting
« on: May 06, 2018, 11:06:45 PM »

Last year, I bought this 3-year-old tree-like plant in a nursery where they called it "Brazilian golden cherry".  I guess they might get the saplings from Taiwan,or get the seeds directly from Brazil by international mails. Anyway, I would say it seems to be a very rare and exotic plant in China. And I'm still not sure it is the E. Lutescens or the E. Piryformis till now.(Any expert to ID it please?)

Having done some homework, I get to know a little more about it. Maybe several Eugenia species including this one are all called "Uvaia" in Brazil and some other native habitats. I‘m also amazed by the diversity of Eugenia genus (which has over 1000 species).

To my surprise, it started to blossom 2 days ago. About 30 flowers blossoming at the same time on that rainy day, I pollinated them with a tiny brush pen to minimize the influence of weather, in hope of getting some fruits this summer.

I remember some guys on YouTube describe the taste of Uvaia as "a mixed flavor with apricot, tangerine and loquat” which is far beyond my experience and imagination. The best way to know the taste of apple is to eat one. So, wish me good luck to have one.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 12:05:04 AM by Guoyang Gao »

Guoyang Gao

• View Profile
Re: Uvaia Blossoming
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 11:08:37 PM »

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 09:24:09 AM »
Is your tree in full sun? I have a plant that looked great until I put it in the ground.
I was giving it morning sun only and then I planted it where it gets mostly afternoon sun and it
hasn't looked happy ever since :(

Guoyang Gao

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 09:38:41 PM »
Is your tree in full sun? I have a plant that looked great until I put it in the ground.
I was giving it morning sun only and then I planted it where it gets mostly afternoon sun and it
hasn't looked happy ever since :(
Yep,my tree is in full sun. The afternoon sun can be very fierce most of the time in the spring and the early summer here. The air is always hot and dry until the rainy season comes in May.
But I only found a few new leaves got sunburned this spring while the whole plant was generally in good condition. As rainfall comes, it turns out to be more healthy now.
Maybe there are some differences between species. I just suggest you use the sunshade thing and make sure to give it sufficient irrigation.
Best wishes.       

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 09:58:49 PM »
Mine is blooming as well, looks good under live oak canopy

nelesedulis

• I want to increase my collection of fruit trees!
    • Carangola, Minas Gerais Brazil
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2018, 10:05:16 AM »
Hello,

From the photos, it seems to me common E.pyrifomis, I needed a photo of the whole plant, I never saw uvaia cultivated in the shade, always in full sun, even in the forest, they get huge disputing sun with other trees.

99 percent of the Uvaia are sour, they vary a lot, on the shape and the flavor generally, it is good but sour, it reminds me of the taste of Eugenia Spitata (Araca Boi), There is a hybrid of E Pyriformis x E Lutecens, which is sweet , but nothing like some guys talk about sweet as honey, is acidic.

All these fruits have a characteristic of rapid fermentation, do not serve to store their pulp, or make juices to consume many hours later, and as soon as you remove the fruit from the tree it becomes soft, almost liquified.

You can make juices, jellies and ice creams, once a Taiwanese asked me for 2,000 Uvaia seeds, to plant and sell the fruit in the supermarket, like a fresh fruit, I made a video at the time explaining about this fermentation characteristics and he gave up this huge amount.

It is a fruit very attacked by the fruit fly.

I really like this tree, it's a wild tree where I live, and every place it varies a lot, in the shape of the fruit and in the flavor.

Aexandre
Facebook
Alexandre Neles
Seeking information and new techniques, friendships are always welcome!

Guoyang Gao

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2018, 10:28:09 AM »
Hello,

From the photos, it seems to me common E.pyrifomis, I needed a photo of the whole plant, I never saw uvaia cultivated in the shade, always in full sun, even in the forest, they get huge disputing sun with other trees.

99 percent of the Uvaia are sour, they vary a lot, on the shape and the flavor generally, it is good but sour, it reminds me of the taste of Eugenia Spitata (Araca Boi), There is a hybrid of E Pyriformis x E Lutecens, which is sweet , but nothing like some guys talk about sweet as honey, is acidic.

All these fruits have a characteristic of rapid fermentation, do not serve to store their pulp, or make juices to consume many hours later, and as soon as you remove the fruit from the tree it becomes soft, almost liquified.

You can make juices, jellies and ice creams, once a Taiwanese asked me for 2,000 Uvaia seeds, to plant and sell the fruit in the supermarket, like a fresh fruit, I made a video at the time explaining about this fermentation characteristics and he gave up this huge amount.

I really like this tree, it's a wild tree where I live, and every place it varies a lot, in the shape of the fruit and in the flavor.

Aexandre

Hello,

Thank you so much for your information. Here is the photo of the whole plant and I don't know if the pollination has been successful. Let's wait and see.

Guoyang Gao

« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 10:30:33 AM by Guoyang Gao »

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2018, 01:24:35 PM »
Hello,

Aexandre

I agree with every word, but in Argentina we dont know so many type of uvaias... I just grow 3 or 4 from different sources: one is acid, another ones are sweet (12º Brix or so) (rounded or more pear shaped) and the other didnt produced yet.

We made an amazing icecream with the pulp! I just harvest them, take the seeds, separate the pulpa and freeze it, then I go to the icecream masterchef and he does it.

The taste is very nice to me, but I must wait till they fall of the tree to be really ripe.

Guoyang Gao

• View Profile
Re: Uvaia fruiting
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2018, 12:07:13 AM »
Now it's fruiting——3 fruits out of 30 flowers?! ToT

mangaba

• Brazil,Pernambuco,Recife
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2018, 05:20:34 PM »
I have uvaias in my garden. To me they are sweet and have a woody taste. My uvaias  are planted in the ground and receive full blast of tropical sun. I have no problems of insects/worms attacking the fruits. The big problem with uvaias is that they ripen very fast and you have to consume the day you pick them from the ground or pluck when ripe. As such they are not sold in the markets. Personally I prefer Eugenia uniflora to Eugenia pyriformis, for taste, as a juice and to make jam.

Cassio

• Brasil, São Paulo, Zone 11b, Köppen: Cfa/Cwa
    • View Profile
    • Frutas em Vasos
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2018, 06:55:33 AM »

To my surprise, it started to blossom 2 days ago. About 30 flowers blossoming at the same time on that rainy day, I pollinated them with a tiny brush pen to minimize the influence of weather, in hope of getting some fruits this summer.

I remember some guys on YouTube describe the taste of Uvaia as "a mixed flavor with apricot, tangerine and loquat” which is far beyond my experience and imagination. The best way to know the taste of apple is to eat one. So, wish me good luck to have one.

When grown from seeds Uvaia can frut in four years, sometimes less time. The fruit is to much variable, as the tree. Here in Brazil,we can count 30 vars or more.
I know just 3 of them.

But.... the flavor isn´t like "a mixed flavor with apricot, tangerine and loquat”. The flavor is to much different of that.
You can say for sure it is acid, sometimes more, sometimes less. But a real sweet uvaia DO NOT EXIST, I assure you.
Anyway, the fruit is good. You can make, juices, jelly, vinegar, sorbet, drinks.

A fruit appeared, which has sweet cultivars for sure, is Eugenia Luschnatiana (Known as Curuiuri or Yellow Pitomba). ;)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2018, 07:10:28 AM »
It is not E.lutescens which is sweet even if mine only had 2 fruit. I have had fruit on 2 of my pyriformis x lutescens and they were sour. My pyriformis hasn't had fruit yet. The hybrid varies a lot and one of mine looks just like the pyriformis. The one in the picture could be either pyriformis or a hybrid.

Guoyang Gao

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2018, 10:16:48 PM »

Almost ripe, can't wait to taste :'(