Author Topic: Planting sapodilla and rollinia in September (orlando) stupid move or not?  (Read 1536 times)

Iceman716238

• Orlando, FL 9b
    • View Profile
I would like to get these growing sooner than later. Should I plant now in ground, or just wait until spring.  I want to make sure that they are established enough to make it through the winter.  Just needed a second opinion(I am leaning towards waiting til spring). Thanks

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Planting sapodilla and rollinia in September (orlando) stupid move or not?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2020, 10:25:43 PM »
I think waiting till spring  is pretty Sound Logic. They are not really going to grow that much through the winter and if we do get a hard freeze you can bring them inside. I am sure someone will disagree just to be obstinate but I think your instincts are pretty good on that one
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2020, 10:55:08 PM »
The sapodilla are more hardy then what the books say. A forum member in Lakeland
left one unprotected on 25F night and it didn't phase it? It wasn't a small tree but it wasn't huge
either. I had a rollinia and last Winter it lost it's leaves.
It wasn't dead but it didn't want to leaf out so I dug it up and gave it away. Someone from Pine Island
told me his tree lost it's leaves last year. I am warmer then you are and Pine Island
is allot warmer then me. Is your area protected or?
What is your plan if we have a cold night or two or ten? No One knows how cold it will be?
I always look at the average temps and the record lows. It's pretty damn scary. If you plant
them have a plan. I stock pile mulch and if we were going to go down in the 20s I would
water heavy and then put mulch around the base of the trees about 2-3 feet up covering the grafts
Luckily I have watered heavy but haven't had to mulch my trees yet.

Fishinsteeg234

• USA, FL, Longwood, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2020, 06:27:48 AM »
I recommend waiting until spring. I have two mango’s, star fruit, and a guava in planters now that will be waiting till spring before going in the ground (bought within the last 2 months). The days are getting shorter and not much growth would occur if planted now. Give yours love in a planter until early March when no risks of frost in our area. I think a little patience will pay off.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2020, 08:37:20 AM »
The sapodilla are more hardy then what the books say. A forum member in Lakeland
left one unprotected on 25F night and it didn't phase it? It wasn't a small tree but it wasn't huge
It wasn't dead but it didn't want to leaf out so I dug it up and gave it away. Someone from Pine Island
told me his tree lost it's leaves last year. I am warmer then you are and Pine Island
What is your plan if we have a cold night or two or ten? No One knows how cold it will be?
I always look at the average temps and the record lows. It's pretty damn scary. If you plant
them have a plan. I stock pile mulch and if we were going to go down in the 20s I would
water heavy and then put mulch around the base of the trees about 2-3 feet up covering the grafts
Can you please wait until Halloween with the scary talk. You already have me calculating where to stock pile and get mulch.Lol :)
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Iceman716238

• Orlando, FL 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2020, 08:09:22 PM »
I think waiting till spring  is pretty Sound Logic. They are not really going to grow that much through the winter and if we do get a hard freeze you can bring them inside. I am sure someone will disagree just to be obstinate but I think your instincts are pretty good on that one

Didn't want to wait(I'm antsy), but I will wait until spring 😭. Its for the best

Iceman716238

• Orlando, FL 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2020, 08:10:08 PM »
Rollinia and cherilata are the other two plants that I am buying

Iceman716238

• Orlando, FL 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2020, 08:10:42 PM »
I recommend waiting until spring. I have two mango’s, star fruit, and a guava in planters now that will be waiting till spring before going in the ground (bought within the last 2 months). The days are getting shorter and not much growth would occur if planted now. Give yours love in a planter until early March when no risks of frost in our area. I think a little patience will pay off.
I will reluctantly wait....😥
Thanks guys!!!!

C24mccain

• Lakeland Florida zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2020, 09:12:46 PM »
I can't speak for Rollinia but I believe you are more than safe with the Sapodilla. I am the forum member mentioned above that had a young small Hasya Sapodilla make it through a 25* night here in Lakeland a few years ago. The tree was unprotected, in fact I left it to die that night and was shocked to see not even a single leaf was burnt on it. This can be verified by checking a video I have on YouTube that morning as well as checking historical records for my area to see the temperature that night and morning. I assume your tree is small so to be safe you can easily cover it on the possible few nights a year we might hit freezing. Add a heat lamp if you want and it won't be hurt. The risk of a couple cold nights is so low in my experience that I wouldn't waist any time getting the sap in the ground.

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2020, 10:42:09 PM »
I am the forum member mentioned above that had a young small Hasya Sapodilla make it through a 25* night here in Lakeland a few years ago. The tree was unprotected, in fact I left it to die that night and was shocked to see not even a single leaf was burnt on it.

Hi C24,

Very interesting about the survival of 25ºF. by your young Sapodilla in Lakeland one year.

If you don't mind me asking i'd like to know how big/tall/old that young Sapodilla of yours was at that time. 

I ask because I have a young Sapodilla in a one gallon pot at 9-inches tall.  I realize that at this small size it wouldn't likely survive very much cold weather, but still, it would be good to have a sense of how large/old one needs to be to have developed some cold tolerance.

While mine has been very slow growing all year up 'til now, it has just this month begun showing a noticeable growth spurt and is suddenly producing much larger leaves than before!  This cultivar of mine is a 'Makok' seedling, BTW.  With its sudden growth spurt I am thinking that it might benefit from being moved into a slightly larger pot, a two-gallon, maybe.

Once again enquiring minds and all that. . . .

Paul M.
==

Iceman716238

• Orlando, FL 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2020, 10:44:16 PM »
I can't speak for Rollinia but I believe you are more than safe with the Sapodilla. I am the forum member mentioned above that had a young small Hasya Sapodilla make it through a 25* night here in Lakeland a few years ago. The tree was unprotected, in fact I left it to die that night and was shocked to see not even a single leaf was burnt on it. This can be verified by checking a video I have on YouTube that morning as well as checking historical records for my area to see the temperature that night and morning. I assume your tree is small so to be safe you can easily cover it on the possible few nights a year we might hit freezing. Add a heat lamp if you want and it won't be hurt. The risk of a couple cold nights is so low in my experience that I wouldn't waist any time getting the sap in the ground.

You are only 45 minutes west of me. I do want to plant the cherilata and rollinia at the same time and get it out of the way. I'm sure that you are right,  but I'll wait until march to do it.
Btw, I've read that hasya has an issue producing. Have you had those issues? Thanks

C24mccain

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2020, 08:04:37 AM »

You are only 45 minutes west of me. I do want to plant the cherilata and rollinia at the same time and get it out of the way. I'm sure that you are right,  but I'll wait until march to do it.
Btw, I've read that hasya has an issue producing. Have you had those issues? Thanks

My Hasya has been slow growing compared to my alamo and makok. The Hasya has a couple of fruits on it now but nothing like the others which are loaded. The other two saps were protected during the freezes that year. I can't really say much about the fruit set because in my case it's been more of a growth issue although it's starting to grow better this year.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 08:17:27 AM by C24mccain »

C24mccain

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2020, 08:15:18 AM »

Epicatt2
In the first video below you can just barely see the Hasya tree by a green ladder at the 4:45-4:50 mark. I didn't film the tree specifically that morning but just caught it from a distance as I was filming. In the second video I do an update where you get a close up of the Hasya at the 17:00 mark. You can see how small and skinny the trunk is. The first video there are a couple of shots of a digital thermometer showing the temperature.

https://youtu.be/EJ6-mF9z73Y

https://youtu.be/qJgvzYGTNkg
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 08:22:50 AM by C24mccain »

Acetogenin

• USA, Orlando, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2020, 09:11:13 PM »
don't plant the rollinia if you're in north orlando.  only if closer to kissimmee

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2020, 09:29:13 PM »
Thanx C24, your vid tours of the cold damage in your yard were instructive.

My Sapodilla at only 9-inches tall has a good long way to go yet before it will stand up to the cold weather like your 'Hasya' did.

I have a canistel 'Trompo' that is about the size of your 'Hasya' but doubt that it, even when it gets a little taller, will be as cold tolerant at the Sapodillas are.

Cheers,

Paul M.
==

Iceman716238

• Orlando, FL 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2020, 11:13:52 PM »
don't plant the rollinia if you're in north orlando.  only if closer to kissimmee
I live in Lake Nona (south eastern part). Very close to st.cloud

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk