Author Topic: Too Early/Late To Plant Mangoes?  (Read 1045 times)

Oncorhynchus

• SW Florida, 9B
    • View Profile
Too Early/Late To Plant Mangoes?
« on: October 26, 2020, 02:30:14 PM »
After months of waiting, my first success graft to a seedling started pushing growth.  Is it too late in the year to plant mangoes? Is it too early to plant this seedling? Should I wait until it flushes more?

Jagmanjoe

• USA, Florida, Lakeland, 9A
    • View Profile
Re: Too Early/Late To Plant Mangoes?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 05:39:38 PM »
I don't know about small seedlings but I have planted small mango trees this time of year several times in the Tampa and Lakeland areas.  One thing I do is I use a section of fencing top rail post which is galvanized to not only stabilize the tree but I also fashioned some removable pvc conduit on top of that post.  The purpose for that is in case we get a short term freeze, I can cover the trees with fabric to keep it from laying against the tree branches and leaves as a barrier for the cold.  When the cold weather has left, I can remove those tops.  Also as the tree grows, I can attach another section of the post to raise it.  That way my protection is just a little above the tree.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 07:17:47 PM »
I recently got a fairly newly grafted Cac mango unexpectedly.
I am going to plant it next Spring. It's allot easier to protect it in a pot
if need be. I did bump it up to a 7 gallon pot.

C24mccain

• Lakeland Florida zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2020, 07:30:19 PM »
I just planted a sugarloaf mango a couple of weeks ago here in Lakeland. I've never worried about time of year. I try and get it in ground asap to get established. When they are this small they are easy to protect.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2020, 07:38:23 PM »
After months of waiting, my first success graft to a seedling started pushing growth.  Is it too late in the year to plant mangoes? Is it too early to plant this seedling? Should I wait until it flushes more?

How big/old is it?  Picture?
- Rob

Oncorhynchus

• SW Florida, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2020, 07:45:09 PM »

I’ve had problems posting pictures here but it’s small.  I sprouted the seed in early spring and grafted a few months later.  It’s probably around a foot tall and pencil thick. 

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2020, 09:23:10 AM »
Hard to say without a pic, but I'd make sure the graft union is well-healed and there was at least one flush (prefer two) with mature (hardened and color-correct) leaves. I'm probably being more conservative than I need to be, but I repotted several mangoes in mid-winter and lost a few. All seemed healthy, the ones I lost were late-season grafts that only had one minor flush, with leaves that were small and still lighter green in color. I tried to not bare-root them, but it was largely unavoidable with the way they came out of the pots. Watching their leaves wilt and fall off while the trees slowly died in February was frustrating.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2020, 09:45:59 AM »

I’ve had problems posting pictures here but it’s small.  I sprouted the seed in early spring and grafted a few months later.  It’s probably around a foot tall and pencil thick.

Mangoes in your area can be planted year round, so no rush.  Based on the size, let it grow some more in the pot and be sure its rooted out before planting in ground.  This will also give plenty of time to let the graft fully "heal" and callous up
- Rob

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk