Author Topic: one of my favorites.....and i dont even have one?????  (Read 3233 times)

j-grow

• Merritt Island
    • View Profile
one of my favorites.....and i dont even have one?????
« on: February 26, 2012, 06:28:56 PM »
I have some really nice stuff growing and i guess since it is so common i just took it for granted. I dont have a loquat!! my question is about "big jim" . it appears to be offered by california nurseries and i am attracted to it because it supposedly produces giant fruit. does anyone grow it in florida, is it good and do any of you know where i can get one in florida? i just planted a little "oliver" but would like to buy a bigger already producing tree.

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: one of my favorites.....and i dont even have one?????
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 08:05:07 AM »
I planted a Loquat a year and a half ago but its a seedling I'm sure. No one around here had a named variety for sale. Basically wanted one for a shade tree plus I wanted to plant a fruit tree I did not have to protect in the winter and this fit the bill. Not once did I ever cover this tree and it came through our freezes with only minor leaf damage. It fruited for the first time this year and I'm very happy the fruit is very good!

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
  • obsessed with fruit growing, especially lychees
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 08:28:29 AM »
gorgeous tree and very nice first crop. and i love how much more space you have to plant trees

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 10:07:31 AM »
gorgeous tree and very nice first crop. and i love how much more space you have to plant trees

Yah!  Ya gotta get crackin' and plant some more trees!
John

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 12:53:22 PM »
Thanks LL and John! I would LOVE to plant a bunch more Fruit trees If I didn't have these Freezes in the winter...its just SO much work building frames, covering, heating and even that doesn't guarantee it still won't die  :(

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 03:26:52 PM »
Thanks LL and John! I would LOVE to plant a bunch more Fruit trees If I didn't have these Freezes in the winter...its just SO much work building frames, covering, heating and even that doesn't guarantee it still won't die  :(

What about planting frost tolerant trees, or even trees that need chill hours to fruit?
Oscar
Oscar

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 04:47:27 PM »
Pug,

You should try planting out some Figs, Persimmons, and Jujubes. Would add some tasty unique fruits without the worry of frost damage.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 05:21:21 PM »
Thanks for the great suggestions guys...persimmon is one that I've been thinking about but haven't found one around here that was worth the price. It looked like a small dead twig was all I saw. Unfortunately, the fruits I want to grow are all cold sensitive. I love Mango, lychee, Jackfruit, custard apple but they are all in the wrong zone for me.  If I could I would plant a few more lychee and at least 10 more Mango (my most favorite) fruits! I really need to move South,lol...

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 05:32:20 PM »
Thanks for the great suggestions guys...persimmon is one that I've been thinking about but haven't found one around here that was worth the price. It looked like a small dead twig was all I saw. Unfortunately, the fruits I want to grow are all cold sensitive. I love Mango, lychee, Jackfruit, custard apple but they are all in the wrong zone for me.  If I could I would plant a few more lychee and at least 10 more Mango (my most favorite) fruits! I really need to move South,lol...

Might want to check out http://www.justfruitsandexotics.com/ they have quite a selection of persimmons.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.