Author Topic: alright, what is eating my orange leaves???  (Read 3687 times)

Zafra

• tropical, around 2700ft elevation
    • View Profile
    • Casa Abya Yala
alright, what is eating my orange leaves???
« on: February 07, 2016, 06:57:49 PM »
Hi everyone,
a week ago my valencia orange was busting out all over with beautiful new growth flushes and flowers. then yesterday, half of the new leaves are half-way eaten. If this was a cartoon they'd have teeth marks, but as it is they're eaten away in neat half-circles- looks like someone's trying to give them scalloped edges. Then today, there are branches stripped bare of new leaves (older leaves untouched). GRRRRR. What eats citrus leaves like this? There are some ants around, but not so many that seem like they could have such a dramatic effect so fast - or could they? I see nothing else around during the day...
Also should mention that there's a mandarin nearby that's (so far) not suffering the same treatment.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 01:18:05 PM by Millet »

Tom

• USA, Alabama,Montgomery, zone 8
    • View Profile
Re: alright, wtf is eating my orange leaves???
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 09:36:10 PM »
Look around carefully and see if you can find what looks like bird poop on a leaf or two, maybe more. If you find it its a camouflaged caterpillar for the swallow tail butterfly. Slang name is 'orange dog'. They are nasty and when I see one I flick it off with a stick and step on it. It will probably scare you and emitt a terrible smell when it sticks out its forked red tongue. They can be tiny or get to be pretty large. You might have another problem but I'm not joking about the orange dog. Tom

brettay

• View Profile
    • My Little Piece of Marin
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 10:10:16 PM »
Do you have deer?  The deer at my house strongly prefer new growth on my citrus.

JustJoshinya

• Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 01:25:38 AM »
i concur with tom its probably a swallowtail catapillar from what your describe.

Zafra

• View Profile
    • Casa Abya Yala
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 08:23:39 AM »
Ok thanks, when I go back on Saturday I'll look for signs. Where does the critter generally hang out during the day? I'm not there at night when the damage is being done.

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 09:18:12 AM »
The catapiller is usually on top of the leaves and look exactly like bird poop. They can be tiny or large. If you have deer on your property they can be devastating too. Harder to see bird poop at night but I don't think they leave at night. I wouldn't think either pest sleep much at night ! Tom

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2016, 09:24:21 AM »
And by next Saturday there will probably be a lot more damage. If not more than hour away you probably better go check or there might not be anything left by Saturday . Could it be an army worm or another type worm ? Army worms are famous for stripping an entire hay field the week before farmers cut and bale hay. Literally after a week of infestation all the grass for hay can be gone ! Same with deer or really any pests. They can do lots of damage in a week. I'm sorry. Tom

Zafra

• View Profile
    • Casa Abya Yala
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2016, 09:48:32 AM »
We don't have deer, and I don't think they'd leave the scalloped edges so much as just eat the leaves whole. I inspected the entire plant and found nothing but a some ants - no worms or caterpillars or anything that looks like bird poop or anything. The only positive is that whatever it is is not eating the old leaves, so worst case scenario we lose the whole flush and it has to start over. Not that that's a good thing, but I don't think it will kill the tree. I put some diatomaceous earth around the trunk in the hope of stopping whatever it is if it comes from the land and not the air. Also sprayed with neem/insecticidal soap. Both just shots in the dark. I guess we'll see...

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2016, 11:49:30 AM »
Good luck. What you did is about all you can do until you get a look at what ever is doing the damage. Maybe it moved on !

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2016, 05:50:23 PM »

Zafra

• View Profile
    • Casa Abya Yala
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2016, 07:26:30 PM »
huh! interesting. if they're the culprit, I wonder why they've chosen just the orange with all the other choices around...

From the sea

• Big Island Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2016, 05:45:46 PM »
or leaf cutter ants.

Zafra

• View Profile
    • Casa Abya Yala
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2016, 06:04:56 PM »
oooo From the sea I think that might be it...

laidbackdood

• Perth.Western Australia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2016, 10:15:56 AM »
I had something have a go at my washington navel..........large parts of leaves chewed off......I am suspicious of Grasshoppers as i have seen quite a few of them on my plants.....do they chew hard out on Citrus lleaves?........Can you answer that for me Millet Please?........i couldnt see any sign of cataerpillars.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2016, 10:40:40 AM »
Grasshoppers eat most anything green. - Millet

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2016, 01:11:39 PM »
No easy way to get rid of grasshoppers either. I guess you could catch them with a net. Tom

laidbackdood

• Perth.Western Australia.
    • View Profile
Re: alright, what is eating my orange leaves???
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2016, 10:56:09 AM »
i have been inspecting my trees daily for them now.......give them an ear clip to stun them and then squash them..........seems to be working........mostly green ones but we get those big pale brown ones at times........they are pretty tough...I buried one alive for 5 mins and then dug him up and he flew off quite happily........caterpillars have destroyed my cucumbers....shame that....