Author Topic: Dragon Fruit thread.  (Read 939788 times)

SandyL

• Nor Cal
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Fruit thread.
« Reply #2375 on: October 23, 2017, 09:21:05 PM »
Is anyone selling orejona cuttings in the inland empire I'm interested in buying some.

Try this site..
www.spicyexotics.com
I've bought some cuttings from him and he has that variety on his site.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2376 on: October 23, 2017, 10:24:33 PM »
Here’s a picture of a giant Megalanthus I ate a while back. http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=8090.msg180054#msg180054
I have one small giant yellow Megalanthus but it will probably be years before it’s big enough to sell cuttings. If anyone has the giant Megalanthus cuttings, I definitely want to buy!

Simon

Compared to the smaller s.m, which ones sweeter? And can you post a pic of your plant?
Also anyone that has a Cutting for the giant megalanthus or even seeds, I'm interested too.

I’ll take a picture next time I have a chance. It’s in a pot with a fig that is completely overrun with weeds.

Simon

Brandon909

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2377 on: October 23, 2017, 10:57:44 PM »
I've bought some cuttings off of spicy exotics in the past, but never had luck with them. I always receive them damaged. I prefer to buy them locally, but thanks for the help I really appreciate it.

SandyL

• Nor Cal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2378 on: October 23, 2017, 11:12:48 PM »
Here’s a picture of a giant Megalanthus I ate a while back. http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=8090.msg180054#msg180054
I have one small giant yellow Megalanthus but it will probably be years before it’s big enough to sell cuttings. If anyone has the giant Megalanthus cuttings, I definitely want to buy!

Simon

Compared to the smaller s.m, which ones sweeter? And can you post a pic of your plant?
Also anyone that has a Cutting for the giant megalanthus or even seeds, I'm interested too.

I’ll take a picture next time I have a chance. It’s in a pot with a fig that is completely overrun with weeds.

Simon
And
Thanks Simon! Can't wait to see it!!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 11:18:40 PM by SandyL »

SandyL

• Nor Cal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2379 on: October 23, 2017, 11:21:33 PM »
I've bought some cuttings off of spicy exotics in the past, but never had luck with them. I always receive them damaged. I prefer to buy them locally, but thanks for the help I really appreciate it.

Oohhh you too! It has happened to me too the 2nd time I ordered from them. One end of the box got torn up and 3/4 of the cutting fell out during transit. I got refunded so that's why I gave them another chance and this time I was lucky.
I wish you luck in finding one!

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #2380 on: October 23, 2017, 11:50:14 PM »
Here is the picture of the giant Yellow DF H/S Megalanthus. This plant was grown from seed and had a very very very long juvenile period, probably because of my neglect. I believe it’s about 2-3 years old from seed, I have the tag buried somewhere beneath the weeds. This plant has at least two arms, maybe more hiding inside the weeds but the branches are very very thin.

Simon

SandyL

• Nor Cal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2381 on: October 24, 2017, 12:00:01 AM »
It's looking nice Simon! The curvature of the stem looks a tad bit different than its smaller counterpart.
Keep us updated and hopefully you'll be able to get it going and bloom. And possibly share some cuttings with me. :D

Brandon909

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2382 on: October 24, 2017, 12:35:30 AM »

Oohhh you too! It has happened to me too the 2nd time I ordered from them. One end of the box got torn up and 3/4 of the cutting fell out during transit. I got refunded so that's why I gave them another chance and this time I was lucky.
I wish you luck in finding one!
thank you and good luck growing you dragon fruit hope to see some updates on their growth

SandyL

• Nor Cal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2383 on: October 24, 2017, 01:06:20 AM »
Thank you Brandon! So far I'm just getting one fruit off my purple haze of 2 years. I'll be sure to update on my other newly planted varieties once they start to take off next spring/summer.  :D

Anto989

• South Italy , calabria region near the tirrenian coast
    • View Profile
    • The exotic farm
« Reply #2384 on: October 30, 2017, 06:35:57 AM »
I found cuttings of hylocereus ocamponis,What about the fruit?is the same of the "red undatus"?how hardy it is?

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #2385 on: October 30, 2017, 12:15:13 PM »
I found cuttings of hylocereus ocamponis,What about the fruit?is the same of the "red undatus"?how hardy it is?

Valdivia Roja and El Grullo from Mexico are considered Hylocereus ocamponis. They were both UC acquisitions and in their Dragon Fruit collection.

The fruit may not be the sweetest or best tasting red Dragon Fruit, but considered good by many people. Hylocereus ocamponis has a high cold and heat tolerance.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 10:34:27 PM by ricshaw »

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #2386 on: November 02, 2017, 03:08:55 PM »
I just spotted these Thailand grown Yellow Megalanthus DF for sale for the first time in San Diego. These aren’t huge fruit and from the shape, they look like the Peruvian selection I’ve seen on the internet.
Postimage not working

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #2387 on: November 02, 2017, 05:27:02 PM »
I didn’t purchase this fruit because it was a bit over ripe on the stem end. I’ll definitely be trying some if they get a new shipment.

Simon

SandyL

• Nor Cal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2388 on: November 02, 2017, 09:09:42 PM »
Can one identify a variety by looking at the fruit? Mainly between hybrids. Reason being I’m about to harvest my first fruit from my supposedly Purple Haze plant and I’ve been looking at pictures of the fruit online and I see people posting different variations of the fruit while claiming it’s purple haze. Being sent the wrong cutting before I’m a bit nervous that I was sent the wrong plant again. Here are some pictures of the fruit so far. It’s not fully ripe yet but getting there.

SandyL

• Nor Cal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2389 on: November 02, 2017, 09:18:44 PM »
Simon the YDF you saw looks different than the one I saw at my local market which I believe is from Columbia. I checked and they didn’t get any new shipment in so I wasn’t able to make sure. Looks like it’s slowly trickling into markets. Now I’m anticipating on them hopefully importing more of the giant S.M in.

Rannman

• Dragonfruit collector
    • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2390 on: November 02, 2017, 11:58:18 PM »
Can one identify a variety by looking at the fruit? Mainly between hybrids. Reason being I’m about to harvest my first fruit from my supposedly Purple Haze plant and I’ve been looking at pictures of the fruit online and I see people posting different variations of the fruit while claiming it’s purple haze. Being sent the wrong cutting before I’m a bit nervous that I was sent the wrong plant again. Here are some pictures of the fruit so far. It’s not fully ripe yet but getting there.

Hi Sandy. My Purple Haze on the left.

SandyL

• Nor Cal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2391 on: November 03, 2017, 01:50:30 AM »
Thanks Rannman for the picture! Color wise it does look similar in that perspective. And yours look like it could’ve weighed in at 2lbs too!

Rannman

• Dragonfruit collector
    • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2392 on: November 03, 2017, 05:56:50 AM »
Thanks Rannman for the picture! Color wise it does look similar in that perspective. And yours look like it could’ve weighed in at 2lbs too!
They do look very similar, and yes, it was the biggest dragonfruit I’ve seen. Really impressive, and very tasty as well!

SandyL

• Nor Cal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2393 on: November 04, 2017, 03:32:30 AM »
They do look very similar, and yes, it was the biggest dragonfruit I’ve seen. Really impressive, and very tasty as well!

Mmmm.... I can’t wait to try mine. Crossing my fingers that it’s purple haze! 😁

SandyL

• Nor Cal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2394 on: November 05, 2017, 12:14:30 AM »
I went back to the same store where I bought the first yellow dragon fruit and they had some more this week so I got another one. I checked the sticker this time and I was wrong on my previous post about them coming from Columbia. The sticker noted Ecuador.

wayne23

• San Gabriel, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2395 on: November 05, 2017, 12:18:51 AM »
this is aka giant megalanthus from Ecuador.  i hope you saved some seeds.

SandyL

• Nor Cal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2396 on: November 05, 2017, 12:41:12 AM »
this is aka giant megalanthus from Ecuador.  i hope you saved some seeds.

Oh no, this is the regular Megalanthus. The one I bought was a little over 1/2 pound. I think the giant one weighs more than the right? But I did save some seeds since I don’t have the yellow megalanthus and the cutting is hard to come by.
I even asked the cashier are they going to be carrying the giant megalanthus and she had no idea what I was talking about. She said the biggest it’ll get is about a pound.
I’m hoping to be able to get the giant one though.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 12:44:45 AM by SandyL »

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
Can I recover these
« Reply #2397 on: November 05, 2017, 11:09:10 AM »
It has been supper wet in South Florida and a few weeks ago, after the storm, I had a rain event that submerged most of my yard for more than 24 hours.  My dragon fruit which were already stressed by Irma did not fare very well.

The images below are from 3 different stands.  Each is showing the same symptom.  The stems are bleached and the very base in contact with the soil has gone brown (I guess is dying).

Should I trim off the dead part exposing the root, cut off and restart these plants or is there a combination of feed and care that can bring these back.

Thanks

wayne23

• San Gabriel, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Can I recover these
« Reply #2398 on: November 06, 2017, 02:50:26 AM »
It has been supper wet in South Florida and a few weeks ago, after the storm, I had a rain event that submerged most of my yard for more than 24 hours.  My dragon fruit which were already stressed by Irma did not fare very well.

The images below are from 3 different stands.  Each is showing the same symptom.  The stems are bleached and the very base in contact with the soil has gone brown (I guess is dying).

Should I trim off the dead part exposing the root, cut off and restart these plants or is there a combination of feed and care that can bring these back.

Thanks

I had the exact problem earlier this year.  Here in SoCal we don’t get a lot of rain but we got a lot earlier this year.  The affected part eventually started rotting.  I used a knife and trimmed of the white parts and my plants did very well afterward.  I also applied tree sealer to cover up the wounds but it’s probably unnecessary.

TheWaterbug

• Palos Verdes, CA, Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783'
    • View Profile
« Reply #2399 on: November 06, 2017, 01:39:16 PM »
My first fruit!

This was my LaVerne Pink on Saturday:

and my Physical Graffiti on Saturday:

I was going to ask all y'alls' advice on when to pick them, but this morning they'd colored up quite a bit, and seemed more than the "2/3 color" mark, so I picked them!

I don't have a Brix-meter, nor much experience eating DF, so this evening's review will be more along the lines of "Yum!" or "Yuck!"

I've waited 3 years for the LaVerne Pink and 2 years for the PG. Wish me luck!
Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783', Frost free since 8,000 BC. Plagued by squirrels, gophers, and peafowl, but coming to terms with it!