Author Topic: Grafting with electrical tape  (Read 911 times)

bbates123

• Cape Coral, FL
    • View Profile
Grafting with electrical tape
« on: June 04, 2020, 04:08:01 PM »
I know this subject came up before but I don't think there was any consensus on this topic at the time.  I'm a newbie to grafting, just started my first mango grafts yesterday.  One Lemon Meringue scion onto rootstock, one Lemon Meringue scion onto a Sweet Tart tree, and one Pickering onto the same Sweet Tart.  These were all cleft grafts.  Though I did my best to ensure that there were no air gaps between the scion and the host, I wanted to be extra sure everything was tight.  First I used a cable tie to hold everything together nice and tight while I buddy wrapped everything from below the host cut to the top of the scion.  Then I cut the cable tie off and added some buddy tape where it was. Finally, I wrapped electrical tape nice and snug where everything came together in the notch.  I was sure to wrap the electrical tape over the buddy tape so there was no direct contact on the bark which might cause difficulties in taking it off later.  I know a lot of people use cut rubber bands, it just seemed easier and more snug using electrical tape.  Other than one Youtube video from a guy in India I haven't really seen this technique used.  For what it's worth I did get white electrical tape so as not to conduct as much heat in this hot Florida sun.  Anybody see any issues with this?

Irakleousm

• Cyprus
    • View Profile
Re: Grafting with electrical tape
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 05:15:49 PM »
I like using electrical tape on most of my grafts.
Much easier for me to keep things in place, nice and tight.

bbates123

• Cape Coral, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2020, 06:20:24 PM »
I like using electrical tape on most of my grafts.
Much easier for me to keep things in place, nice and tight.

Well that's encouraging, thank you!

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2020, 06:54:56 PM »
I use only electrical tape here but its not as good as grafting tape.Good idea to use white tape to reflect the heat.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2020, 06:57:08 PM »
Presco brand flagging tape works super good.  It's like electrical tape but no sticky.  Just pull it really tight on the union then tie a half knot.  Its Presco PVC flagging tape tape.  Has a texas logo on it.  Got a 12 pack of them off ebay and use it for grafting and taping up dragonfruit.  It's more stretchy than regular tree tape and able to pull tighter then buddy tape.
Brad Spaugh

bbates123

• Cape Coral, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2020, 07:18:51 PM »
I use only electrical tape here but its not as good as grafting tape.Good idea to use white tape to reflect the heat.

I still like to use the grafting tape to cover everything, it's just the electrical tape to more tightly secure the junctions.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk