Author Topic: Variegated citrus no variegation on new growth?  (Read 1900 times)

Citrus-addict

• Bulgaria & United Kingdom
    • View Profile
    • My-Bulgarian-House-Renovation
Variegated citrus no variegation on new growth?
« on: June 16, 2014, 08:04:24 AM »
I have recently bought a couple of variegated citrus a calamondin and a lemon, all new growth seems to be none variegated , every branch on both of them
the leaves havent got that large yet, the new growth on the lemon they are about 2 inch long but totally green , very healthy but also very very 100% green?

Does the variegation appear as the leaves age a bit?, or am I doing something to remove the variegation?

I can see one bit being un-variegated but this is 2 plants from different suppliers and every branch ,

I used to have a couple of other variegated citrus but I gave them away and cant remember if variegation was visible before the leaves were full size.

I have been spraying with harpin protein and starting to wonder if that has affected the variegation?

Has anyone tried the harpin protein on variegated citrus?

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
Re: Variegated citrus no variegation on new growth?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 08:41:43 AM »
You got a photo - was it grafted with the new growth from beneath the union?
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

Citrus-addict

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 09:28:27 AM »
No photos at the minute as im away for a couple of days

The new growth is from the end of the last lot of new growth that is variegated at the top of the tree, not below the graft

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile

Citrus-addict

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 12:17:34 PM »
Thanks,

I presume the harpin spray has made it revert on the new growth as they say it works by making the plant react by thinking it needs to fight a problem , all of the new growth is 100% green on the 2 trees so its caused by something

I chopped it all off and will keep doing so to any new growth for now unless any variegated bits grow

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk