Author Topic: Found someone who succeeded in grafting kepel stem  (Read 6672 times)

Maryoto

• WhatsApp +62 812 3688 1182
    • Borneo
    • View Profile
Found someone who succeeded in grafting kepel stem
« on: July 24, 2014, 08:03:31 AM »
I found someone who succeeded in grafting kepel stem using special formula and special technique,the guy said it will fruiting in 2-3 years.
No one has ever succeeded in grafting Kepel stem before.
This guy awesome,he lives in java island.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Found someone who succeeded in grafting kepel stem
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 08:17:16 AM »
My seedlings fruited at 4 and were covered in fruit in their 5th year.I know some seedlings take longer to fruit and grafting would probably shave a couple of years off.

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 08:23:22 AM »
Grafting a Annonaceae shouldn't be difficult; likely just no-one has ever tried it before?
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

Maryoto

• Borneo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 11:47:17 AM »
My seedlings fruited at 4 and were covered in fruit in their 5th year.I know some seedlings take longer to fruit and grafting would probably shave a couple of years off.
That is fast Mike,.
Usually need 6-7 years to be fruiting.

Maryoto

• Borneo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 11:50:03 AM »
Grafting a Annonaceae shouldn't be difficult; likely just no-one has ever tried it before?
Yes,maybe you're right.
But kepel is different, many peoples in indonesia tried to grafting kepel but never succeeded.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 06:06:44 PM »

Don't think that is typical. Mine have been super slooooooow growers, and have yet to fruit after a whole decade in the ground! :'(
Oscar

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 06:22:56 PM »

Don't think that is typical. Mine have been super slooooooow growers, and have yet to fruit after a whole decade in the ground! :'(

Same here Oscar , Mike must have 10 green fingers .....
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 06:36:34 PM »

Maybe he got the seeds from that same eBay seller that has mangosteen that fruits in 16 months?  ;)
Oscar

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 07:19:34 PM »

Maybe he got the seeds from that same eBay seller that has mangosteen that fruits in 16 months?  ;)

I have read 5-6 years on some websites before kepel fruits.

On hawaii everything takes longer to fruit then in Thailand or Australia. Might be the climate, soil, water or the farmer.....

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 08:37:44 PM »

I have read 5-6 years on some websites before kepel fruits.

On hawaii everything takes longer to fruit then in Thailand or Australia. Might be the climate, soil, water or the farmer.....

Puerto Vallarta (Luc's hometown) has a similar climate to Thailand.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puerto_Vallarta#Climate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bangkok#Climate
Moh'd

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 08:47:32 PM »

I think 16 months on Jupiter is about 14-15 years on Earth.  :P :P ;D ;D
Moh'd

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2014, 02:21:26 AM »

I have often heard this & always wonder about it.  I wonder if it is that our climate is more moderate here -- we don't get extremely hot weather -- & maybe some stuff really likes the heat and can grow faster when it has it?  Of course, on our side of the big island, we also get more rain & overcast weather so less sun to help plants grow vigorously.

John

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2014, 02:33:18 AM »

I have often heard this & always wonder about it.  I wonder if it is that our climate is more moderate here -- we don't get extremely hot weather -- & maybe some stuff really likes the heat and can grow faster when it has it?  Of course, on our side of the big island, we also get more rain & overcast weather so less sun to help plants grow vigorously.

John
Not hard to figure out really. At equator, or close to equator,tropical plants are going to grow faster than at 19 degrees from equator. Add to that our soil, or lack thereof. In deep loamy soil plants are going to grow much faster than in pure lava rock. Also you're at quite high elevation = even cooler and more cloud cover.
I suspect though that in this case it's due to a different types of kepel. We tend to think only one type of kepel, but really there are many different kinds, and some are probably a lot faster, and more vigorous than others. The type Frankies has is a super slow growing plant. I don't think that could be fruited in 4 years anywhere on this planet.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 02:38:28 AM by fruitlovers »
Oscar

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2014, 02:39:05 AM »

John

Well i have never been on hawaii but on many pictures of it i see clouds. Thailand also has clouds but in the wet season they come at the end of the day and that will result in a shower of 1-2 hours. From dec-may there are almost no clouds or rain at all and the strong is very strong.
I was taught that vulcanosoils can be very fertile, i don't know if that's the case on hawaii as well or maybe the ph is not perfect. Thailand has much dark clay. Also Thai love to use fertilizers, maybe more then hawaiians?

My achacha's have been planted this year in januari so we'll see how many years it takes. Also i grow my tree's in pots with good soil, not in the local clay, that might also speed things up.

Maryoto

• Borneo
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2014, 10:17:05 AM »
Like Bangkok said,it might be the climate, soil and water or the farmer.
But i think it might be the climate and soil.
In my place in central java,kepel fruiting once a year...but in Sumatra and Jakarta, Kepel fruiting twice in a year.
I got this information from my contact...in last February,Kepel in Sumatra and Jakarta are fruiting,and now it's fruiting again.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2014, 03:15:46 PM »
In my place in central java,kepel fruiting once a year...but in Sumatra and Jakarta, Kepel fruiting twice in a year.
I got this information from my contact...in last February,Kepel in Sumatra and Jakarta are fruiting,and now it's fruiting again.

Wow that is strange. Yogjakarta is not that far from jakarta so how can it fruit twice in jakarta?

Here in Holland some farmers use CO2 carbondioxide (in greenhouses)  to speed up the growth of plants. In city's like Bangkok or Jakarta the CO2 levels are higher then in the forrest allready. Maybe the kepel in Jakarta fruits twice because of the high CO2? Or maybe they are another variety of Kepel? Can you also sell those seeds Maryoto?

It's interesting why some tree's fruit twice a year. I read that avocado's also fruit twice in Borneo and some other islands as well. That has never happened in Florida as far as i know. Achacha in ultra-tropics can fruit whole year around is what i read.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2014, 03:58:56 PM »
There is nothing special about my climate or soil and I didn't look after them.Ones in a council park also boomed and grew quickly and I got fruit off those 2 yesterday from their second crop of the year.I think it may have something to do with the selection which is the preferred of 3 brought from Java in the 1970's.
I sent seeds to a Brazilian member a few weeks ago who also got some fro maryoto as they told me a few days ago.They insisted the seeds must be from different species as they were so different.

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2014, 04:15:29 PM »
Not sure how vast the distribution range is, but there could be a big difference in response to climate conditions amongst the different ecotypes. And there is more than the one Stelechocarpus sp. so a bit of species confusion could play in as well
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 04:42:49 PM by Soren »
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2014, 04:35:46 PM »
There is nothing special about my climate or soil and I didn't look after them.Ones in a council park also boomed and grew quickly and I got fruit off those 2 yesterday from their second crop of the year.I think it may have something to do with the selection which is the preferred of 3 brought from Java in the 1970's.
I sent seeds to a Brazilian member a few weeks ago who also got some fro maryoto as they told me a few days ago.They insisted the seeds must be from different species as they were so different.

Different types of kepel would also account for why some report that it works on body odors and others say it has no effect.
Oscar

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2014, 04:40:25 PM »
I agree.
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

Maryoto

• Borneo
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2014, 11:00:49 PM »

Wow that is strange. Yogjakarta is not that far from jakarta so how can it fruit twice in jakarta?

Here in Holland some farmers use CO2 carbondioxide (in greenhouses)  to speed up the growth of plants. In city's like Bangkok or Jakarta the CO2 levels are higher then in the forrest allready. Maybe the kepel in Jakarta fruits twice because of the high CO2? Or maybe they are another variety of Kepel? Can you also sell those seeds Maryoto?

It's interesting why some tree's fruit twice a year. I read that avocado's also fruit twice in Borneo and some other islands as well. That has never happened in Florida as far as i know. Achacha in ultra-tropics can fruit whole year around is what i read.
May be they are a different varieties/types,but i'm not so sure.
Because if the kepel in big city like jakarta fruiting twice,what about kepel in Lampung(sorry i said in Sumatera yesterday) that also fruiting twice but grow in village.

I'll try to get the lampung/jakarta kepel seeds,right now the fruits still young and immature.
I'll go there by myself if necessary,because my father lives in jakarta close with the tree.

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2014, 01:02:52 AM »
Some ultra tropical species cannot tolerate wind. I've never been to hawaii, but the state is made up of small islands so it would seem it's often very windy. Maybe that's part of the more slow growth ...

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2014, 03:53:58 AM »
Some ultra tropical species cannot tolerate wind. I've never been to hawaii, but the state is made up of small islands so it would seem it's often very windy. Maybe that's part of the more slow growth ...
Tradewinds here are like 5 mph or less. Don't think it's a factor. If it were then leeward side of islands, which don't get tradewinds would have plants growing faster, and i don't  think they do.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2014, 03:55:38 AM »
Equatorials go fine in the tropical trade wind littoral zones.Cold winter winds in the subtropics is a different proposition.