Author Topic: Potted Glenn...Strange happenings  (Read 7986 times)

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Potted Glenn...Strange happenings
« on: May 08, 2012, 07:53:15 PM »
I was out looking at my potted Glenn tonight and noticed I had 2 bloom pannicles on it...in May!! This is definitely a first for me! This tree has mangoes, new growths and now 2 pannicle blooms all at the same time...interesting to see what will come of these?

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Potted Glenn...Strange happenings
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 07:58:20 PM »
That's nutty. This has been a weird year! I picked my first ripe carrie today, which is like 6 weeks earlier than normal. At the same time I have carrie mangoes in pots pushing blooms. I also have some potted Nam doc mais with blooms.

I was out looking at my potted Glenn tonight and noticed I had 2 bloom pannicles on it...in May!! This is definitely a first for me! This tree has mangoes, new growths and now 2 pannicle blooms all at the same time...interesting to see what will come of these?

Jeff  :-)

amrkhalido

• Zone 10, Egypt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 08:07:18 PM »
You must have had ideal weather conditions to Mango this year ,, growth and fruiting and new blooming and in a pot ,, WOW ,, very lucky :D

Amr

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 08:16:04 PM »
And my Glenn crop looks to be a virtual bust.  There may be a few hidden in the canopy, but they are making themselves rather inconspicuous.  I haven't had a Glenn season as poor as this since the year after we had to hat rack the tree to upright it, after Hurricane Wilma.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

samuelforest

• Montreal (5b) COLD!
  • Mangoes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 08:35:43 PM »
 :oNice! How tall is your tree puglvr1?

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 09:22:00 PM »
Pupe. That sucks. My glenn got hit by powdery mildew pretty badly, but it still managed to set a good 50 or so fruits without any spraying.

And my Glenn crop looks to be a virtual bust.  There may be a few hidden in the canopy, but they are making themselves rather inconspicuous.  I haven't had a Glenn season as poor as this since the year after we had to hat rack the tree to upright it, after Hurricane Wilma.

Harry
Jeff  :-)

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 10:25:12 PM »
It really has been a very weird year for Mango (weather wise)...strange is putting it mildly!

Sorry about your Glenn Harry...maybe it will surprise you and there's more hiding in the canopy than you think.

Samuel, my tree is appx. 5 ft or so from the bottom of the pot to the top branches...

This was taken about 2 weeks ago...

Enduser...I feed my Container Glenn about every 2 or 3 weeks with an all purpose fertilizer (3-1-2) like Miracle grow at half strength with a tsp each of epsom salts and kelp, except December and January.  I also sprinkle a Tablespoon of slow release like Vigoro or Dynamite about every 6 weeks or so...
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 07:09:19 AM by puglvr1 »

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 12:34:24 AM »
Pugsly - GREAT JOB!

I'll just say I think that your tree is so happy and healthy that it really wants to perform
well for you - amazingly deserved I'll also add...

You've had some tough luck in the past, so good for you and Mr. Glenn!!!!!!!!!

Mangofang

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 12:48:14 AM »
My mothers huge Valencia Pride, tree hasn't even flowered this year, 1st time its ever skipped a year like this. hopefully they may get a late set, like your Glenn, I'll have to ask her on my next phone call, to check to see if its pushing flowers now.

Anyway she is happy with the small Pickering I got from Jeff, which has 3 mangoes on it.

William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 07:35:34 AM »

Thanks Mangofan  ;D...I did luck out this year and finally got a much needed break from freeze damage, finally!
I'm very excited to see 2 of my in-ground mango trees (even though its only a few) have fruits for the very first time since I planted them!!

That container Glenn only has 5 mangoes on it...I'll take any I can get.

Tropicdude, I hope your Mom's Valencia Pride is blooming as we speak...let us know.

demingcr

• USA, Fort Myers, FL 33901 Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 09:02:27 AM »
Maybe her Valencia did start blooming, my Valencia started blooming 2 weeks ago, I think the cold weather that hit right around that time helped induce it. There's only a few blooms, but I see a few fruit did set.. let's see if any make it.
- Colin

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2012, 11:35:02 AM »
I wanted to post about my first ripe mango of 2012... One of my potted Glenn fruits had some type of injury ( a deep cut on a small section) so I decided to pick it 4 days ago even thought it was very green in case it started to rot. I thought I would take a chance and see if it will ripen on the counter,  although the color on the outside never changed it did start to soften up and was starting to have a nice aroma. I decided to cut it open today... I was pleasantly surprised the inside was a nice yellow, very juicy and was pretty sweet (not as sweet of course had I left it on the tree to ripen a little more), but considering it was very green I was very happy with the taste...tasted better than any mango from the store.

Can't wait to taste the others...hope the varmints don't beat me to it!!

samuelforest

• Montreal (5b) COLD!
  • Mangoes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2012, 02:53:31 PM »
Looks tasty! I think mine is pushing some inflos right now, two buds look different from the others, maybye inflo buds?

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2012, 07:32:41 AM »
Thanks Samuel, it was very tasty  ;D

Wow...another late blooming mango tree...blooming in June? Good luck, hope it matures before it gets too cold in your area.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2012, 09:17:30 AM »
I wanted to post about my first ripe mango of 2012... One of my potted Glenn fruits had some type of injury ( a deep cut on a small section) so I decided to pick it 4 days ago even thought it was very green in case it started to rot. I thought I would take a chance and see if it will ripen on the counter,  although the color on the outside never changed it did start to soften up and was starting to have a nice aroma. I decided to cut it open today... I was pleasantly surprised the inside was a nice yellow, very juicy and was pretty sweet (not as sweet of course had I left it on the tree to ripen a little more), but considering it was very green I was very happy with the taste...tasted better than any mango from the store.

Can't wait to taste the others...hope the varmints don't beat me to it!!
Wow, that looks way underripe for a Glenn.  Have your other Glens started to color up any ?  I know its not but the inside looks like a Carrie.
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2012, 09:19:36 AM »
Thanks Samuel, it was very tasty  ;D

Wow...another late blooming mango tree...blooming in June? Good luck, hope it matures before it gets too cold in your area.
Time is relevant to location those growing tropicals in the great white north.
- Rob

samuelforest

• Montreal (5b) COLD!
  • Mangoes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2012, 09:45:26 AM »
I'll post pictures to get your opinions on those buds.

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2012, 01:29:33 PM »
"Wow, that looks way underripe for a Glenn.  Have your other Glens started to color up any ?  I know its not but the inside looks like a Carrie."

Hi Rob, I think you might have misunderstood me...I picked that Glenn knowing it was NOT ripe and completely green because it had a defect (there was a cut on the back side of it). None of my Glenns or Cogshall have colored up yet...still several weeks before any of them are ripe.

I was lucky the Glenn ripened enough to eat since it was very green when I picked it. It wasn't as sweet as I would have liked but good enough to eat. BTW, I'm one of the minority here. Ya, this one is for sure a Glenn. Especially since Every Carrie I've ever tasted (not that many to be fair) I have NOT liked. I'm not a fan of Carrie mango so far...I've not tasted any I liked.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2012, 02:20:31 PM »
"Wow, that looks way underripe for a Glenn.  Have your other Glens started to color up any ?  I know its not but the inside looks like a Carrie."

Hi Rob, I think you might have misunderstood me...I picked that Glenn knowing it was NOT ripe and completely green because it had a defect (there was a cut on the back side of it). None of my Glenns or Cogshall have colored up yet...still several weeks before any of them are ripe.

I was lucky the Glenn ripened enough to eat since it was very green when I picked it. It wasn't as sweet as I would have liked but good enough to eat. BTW, I'm one of the minority here. Ya, this one is for sure a Glenn. Especially since Every Carrie I've ever tasted (not that many to be fair) I have NOT liked. I'm not a fan of Carrie mango so far...I've not tasted any I liked.
I was not questioning your knowledge that it was ripe or not ripe, just stating a fact that it was very much underripe.  I am surprised that you feel your Glenns are several weeks from being ready.  While not all Glenns are ready here (though they should be beginning or in the middle of harvest by now), all of what I have seen have significantly more color to them.

As to your statement about Carrie...glad to know I have another member on my team.  :) :D 8)
- Rob

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2012, 10:45:19 AM »

I had a Carrie tree for about 6 years(or so I thought) the tree had many issues (long story short) so it did not fruit for me until last summer and found out it was mis-labled and the tree actually is a Cogshall...I cannot tell you how HAPPY I was  ;D

Here's a couple from my potted Glenn...not coloring up yet...soon I hope!

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2012, 06:58:46 AM »
Hi Nancy,

My Tommy atkins is also going loco. It's flowering again...this ain't normal. The tree flowered in December and now again in May-June...the sad part of all...them little ones were all aborted :'(

BTW The Glenn tree with fruit's looks slick 8)...Hopefully I will get a tree later in the season :)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 07:18:55 AM by Jackfruitwhisperer69 »
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2012, 12:52:40 PM »
Thanks Steven! I can't wait till their ripe! Your TA looks great with all those blooms. Definitely weird blooming this time of year! Hope they form fruits and mature for you.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2012, 05:50:16 PM »
Thanks Steven! I can't wait till their ripe! Your TA looks great with all those blooms. Definitely weird blooming this time of year! Hope they form fruits and mature for you.

Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk