Author Topic: Mango Fertilizing 0-0-50  (Read 10341 times)

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Mango Fertilizing 0-0-50
« on: January 16, 2015, 10:35:24 AM »

Is now the time to add 0-0-50 fertilizer to my blooming and almost blooming mango trees? Or should I wait till Feb.?

Also I called a local nursery and they carry High Yield 0-0-60...Can I sue this instead or is that completely different?

Thanks in advance...appreciate any tips and advise on how much to apply as well.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 10:41:41 AM by puglvr1 »

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Fertilizing 0-0-50
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 11:55:02 AM »
I'm sure someone will be along soon to provide the correct answer...

My understanding (purely from what I have read on here) is that it helps support flowering and also fruit set.

So based on that I applied it in December for the flowering, and plan to again soon as the trees are in full bloom and probably ready to start setting fruit soon.

Do I have it right guys? Or did I completely misunderstand its uses?
always longing for a JA Julie

StPeteMango

• Florida/St. Petersburg/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 01:02:39 PM »
I've done the same as Jani; I also scatter a couple of tablespoons of sulfate of potash (0-0-50) around each tree's dripline 2 - 3 times a year, starting with "harvest" (my trees have been in-ground almost two years now, so not much of that). I stop after Feb. or so if fruits have set.
Puglvr, I'm pretty sure the 0-0-60 is muriate of potash, which is not recommended for mango trees.

Dangermouse01

• East coast, Central Florida
    • USA, Palm Bay, FL 32907, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 01:29:43 PM »

Is now the time to add 0-0-50 fertilizer to my blooming and almost blooming mango trees? Or should I wait till Feb.?

Also I called a local nursery and they carry High Yield 0-0-60...Can I sue this instead or is that completely different?

Thanks in advance...appreciate any tips and advise on how much to apply as well.

The 0-0-60 is Muriate of Potash.
It is not recommended for mangoes in this thread http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=13103.125

DM

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 06:21:24 PM »
0-0-60 was applied to my mango & Avocado Trees in the summer & They Didn't Like It !, However My bananas Loved It !.

Good Luck Pugs ,
Ed
Zone 10

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 07:32:36 PM »
In the same spirit, how much 0-0-50 is recommended to add to mango trees? Obviously not an exact science, but are we talking tablespoon per foot of height, couple of cups, etc.?

GrassFlats

• Sanford Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 07:41:54 PM »
yes the 0-0-60 Hi Yield is Muriate of Potash which i recently learned is not recommended for mango trees.  So I went and purchased 0-0-50 potassium sulfate from Kelp4less.  bought a 5 lb bag for 14$ and change and FREE shipping.  The bag says to put 5-10 pounds per 500 square feet so i calculated it and it wound up to be a few ounces and I did put some out under the mango trees yesterday.

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2015, 09:14:41 AM »

Thank you all!
You've been very helpful...I did call Hi Yield about their 0-0-60 and was told the exact same things you all are saying it is not recommended for mango trees.

I did purchase a 15 lb of 0-0-50 on Ebay $22 something with free shipping ( maybe the same seller?) that Grassflats got his...it should be here next week. I'll apply it then.

I read somewhere of a loose/guesstimate of something like this "This website advises applying one fistful of 0 - 0 - 50 fertilizer for every inch of trunk width measured one foot above the ground. " But, it sounds a bit too much IMHO...so I think I will put about 2 cups on my soon to be 7 year old trees...

My next question is do you guys water it in by hand after wards since there's no immediate rain in my forecast...or can it just slowly work itself in the soil with the 2x weekly "sprinkler" watering my lawn receives?

Thanks again for you help/advise...

Dangermouse01

• East coast, Central Florida
    • USA, Palm Bay, FL 32907, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2015, 09:37:43 AM »

I read somewhere of a loose/guesstimate of something like this "This website advises applying one fistful of 0 - 0 - 50 fertilizer for every inch of trunk width measured one foot above the ground. " But, it sounds a bit too much IMHO...so I think I will put about 2 cups on my soon to be 7 year old trees...

For measurement's sake, I figure that birdseed is probably a close substitute for granular fertilizer. I measured a cupped handful of birdseed and it was between 1/3 and 1/2 a cup. A closed handful of birdseed was in the 1/4 cup range.

DM

StPeteMango

• Florida/St. Petersburg/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2015, 09:48:38 AM »
Puglvr,
$22 for a 15 lb bag is a good price; I pay $12 and change (with tax) for a 5 lb bag.
I don't water it in, just let the rain do the work.

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2015, 05:00:47 PM »

Thanks Dangermouse for the measurement advise.

StPete, appreciate your help...good to know I won't have to water it in, the less work the better  ;)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2015, 07:23:44 PM »
Always use sulphates if there is a choice and check the chloride levels in mixes.I think it would be important to apply most N soon after harvest and withhold it as flowering approaches.P and especially K would be more easily dealt with by applying at recommended rates a few months prior to flowering and maybe when using N after harvest to stay in the window between excess and sufficient.Filling in the micros low in your particular soil and the ones favored by mangoes would also help. Over-application is a big risk and realising the lag between application and availability for each fertilizer and how long until it is spent.

GrassFlats

• Sanford Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2015, 07:31:02 PM »
I applied the 0-0-50 DURING the last rain we had Pugs!  Killing 2 birds with one stone!!

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2015, 09:31:42 PM »
Remember that the Potassium-only fertilizer regime for Mangos, is for rockdale soils in the Redlands/Homestead area.  That soil is high in Calcium and is pretty well supplied with many other nutrients, except potassium.

In many of our other types of soil, we are not going to get good fruit set without adding Boron, Zinc, Calcium, Magnesium, etc., along with high Potassium.
Har

goosteen

• Los Angeles CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2015, 12:05:41 AM »
Remember that the Potassium-only fertilizer regime for Mangos, is for rockdale soils in the Redlands/Homestead area.  That soil is high in Calcium and is pretty well supplied with many other nutrients, except potassium.

In many of our other types of soil, we are not going to get good fruit set without adding Boron, Zinc, Calcium, Magnesium, etc., along with high Potassium.

That makes sense, was about to order some potassium before you said this.

laidbackdood

• Perth.Western Australia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2015, 02:48:30 AM »
would i need to follow this procedure in perrh western australia....we have sandy soils here........should i apply potash before flowering in 0-0-50 like advised here? thanks

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2015, 01:16:30 PM »

Thanks Mike and Har!! Appreciate your input and advise...will add sparingly so I don't over do it...

Grassflats, I missed that (rain) window of opportunity,lol...I had a little over 2 inches too!

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2015, 01:49:07 PM »
From what I have read you can throw 5-10-20 lbs of Potassium sulfate at the base of a large mango tree a few months after fruiting so that it can absorb it for next year. I have in practice done this to largest mango trees (5-10lbs) that I do not feed NPK to. In my limited space why give them nitrogen?

Gunanbanas say they need trace elements too such as boron. I have done some of this by mulching heavily with wood chips. Not to the optimum but the wood chips come from trees and shrubs that have been mining and scavenging the local soil here for major and minor minerals....Local-Me getting the chips from landscaping and tree trimming companies. The minor elements in wood chips are naturally chelated

Always get granular potassium sulfate. It releases more slowly
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 01:52:36 PM by zands »

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2015, 11:36:16 AM »
For you folks living in south Florida, these guys in Pompano beach are just off the interstate and near the turnpike and have 50 lb bags of sulphate of potash and more.

http://universalsupplycorp.com
Regards,

Gary

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2015, 08:24:09 AM »
For you folks living in south Florida, these guys in Pompano beach are just off the interstate and near the turnpike and have 50 lb bags of sulphate of potash and more.

http://universalsupplycorp.com

They are  a great place. Phone them and they will answer. It is a family business selling wholesale to growers but as far as I can tell the same prices for me
I also buy 8-3-9 there and they have Tiger Sulfur which bsbullie said is good for citrus. They have iron chelates and more.

also bought the 100% potassium sulfate there

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2015, 12:12:27 PM »

Har, you are a wealth of information and I always enjoy seeing your replies.  Your knowledge is much appreciated!

Simon

jc

• Treasure Coast, Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2015, 12:36:41 PM »
Coincidentally, I just got done spreading some minor element granules on all my fruiting/flowering mangos.  I stopped spraying minors on developing fruit. Noticed it can stain and cause lesions on the fruit.

I plan to spray some high potassium Plant Doctor and Fruit Maker after the weather passes.

Har, you are a wealth of information and I always enjoy seeing your replies.  Your knowledge is much appreciated!

Simon
JC

GrassFlats

• Sanford Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2015, 07:45:14 PM »
Is it ok to fertilize with micros while the tree is fruiting/flowering.  Seems like the only thing have read  approved to fertilize with flower/fruiting is 0-0-50

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2015, 02:44:08 AM »
The advice about avoiding fertilization during flowering or fruiting, is usually only about Nitrogen.
Har

jc

• Treasure Coast, Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2015, 07:32:00 AM »
Last year I put down 0-0-22 K-Mag and sprayed 0-0-26 on a monthly basis and did not see any ill effects. I can't say whether or not it helped either since I didn't have any controls, but I had what I thought was a decent harvest from 2 year old trees.  This year is also looking pretty good so far with a similar regimen.

My regimen is more frequency less concentration.

Is it ok to fertilize with micros while the tree is fruiting/flowering.  Seems like the only thing have read  approved to fertilize with flower/fruiting is 0-0-50
JC

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk