Author Topic: Gold Nugget Mandarin  (Read 1792 times)

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Gold Nugget Mandarin
« on: February 04, 2015, 10:47:57 AM »
Two characteristics that a new citrus variety must have these days to be accepted onto the national market is seedless and easy pealing. I picked my first Gold Nugget mandarins a couple days ago.  They were indeed free of seeds, but failed on the peeling issue.  The University of California Variety Collection states that its Gold Nugget Mandarin is moderately easy to peel, I would rate it as "Moderately" difficult to peel. - Millet

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Gold Nugget Mandarin
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 11:14:11 AM »
Could it have been picked early? It was also very tart when I ate one of mine. Was much better when other people grew it. Unwashed told to give it a few years. Never set any more fruit after that.

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 12:01:37 PM »
Gold Nuggetts are found at the farmers market starting in April.
My in ground tree had completely orange fruit starting in January. Last year I picked them all before April and they were not as sweet and harder to peel. This year I'm waiting until April and expect they will be sweet and easy to peel. Try letting 1 hang if there's any left.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 01:13:25 PM »
fyliu and Bush2Beach you both could be correct.  As with Bush2Beach my Gold Nugget mandarins have been completely orange for over a month.  I still have some fruit hanging, and will take the advice you both offer and wait for another month or so to pick the rest.  Will post again at that time .  - Millet

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 09:31:53 PM »
fyliu and Bush2Beach you both could be correct.  As with Bush2Beach my Gold Nugget mandarins have been completely orange for over a month.  I still have some fruit hanging, and will take the advice you both offer and wait for another month or so to pick the rest.  Will post again at that time .  - Millet
[/quote
Yes, Gold Nugget is one of the last to ripen, they can be eaten well into June down here in the cooler coastal area of Southern California. They seem to be one of the easiest to peel for me also.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk