Author Topic: Persimmon or pomegranate along side a nectarine?  (Read 881 times)

eez0

• Canary Islands. 11b
    • View Profile
Persimmon or pomegranate along side a nectarine?
« on: July 20, 2022, 02:07:25 PM »
Long story short, I'd like to plant a pomegranate or a persimmon close (as in 2-in-1 hole) to a nectarine tree.

Which would cause less troubles down the road? As we are talking about different families here.

pagnr

• View Profile
Re: Persimmon or pomegranate along side a nectarine?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2022, 08:03:58 AM »
As they are all deciduous trees, you could consider the direction they face, and how they may shade each other in summer, or allow light in in winter.
You wouldn't want to plant them so that one completely shaded the other tree, if they are so close planted.
Nectarine and a Persimmon probably have similar growth rates and will get to similar sizes.
Depending on sun angle, you may be able to prune them to face away from each other into 2 half trees.
A Pomegranate might be a bit slower and smaller than either. You could end up with an over and understory.
Some part shade might be ok for the pomegranate, in a hot climate. Either way you should be able to prune them to advantage both.
No idea if any make better or worse combinations when close planted.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2022, 04:41:37 PM »
This sounds like a bad idea to be honest.  I think 2 in 1 hole thing is kind of setting up for failur to be honest.  Not trying to pee in your cheerios its just not a great idea.  Im sure theres some youtube videos somewhere that say otherwise but these trees get big and need their own space.  Like a couple meters at least. 
Brad Spaugh

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2022, 05:58:17 PM »
That's a fair point about being big trees. It lead me to think about dwarfing rootstock for the nectarine / stone fruit to hold it back a bit.
It's a bit extreme but there are dwarf pomegranates var nana. Possibly smaller growing pomegranate cultivars. Heavy pruning might hold them back.

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2022, 02:48:21 PM »
Ive seen nice examples of 2 or 3 trees in a hole with proper pruning. Just not sure it would work with those trees as they are not similar at all...for example maybe peach and nectarine, but not peach and persimmon

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2022, 03:29:50 PM »
On nectarine, you can just chop the tree way back down to almost a stump and it will come right back.  Its work but if you want to put in that work its easy enough to cut the tree back every 2 or 3 years. 
Brad Spaugh

MasonG31

• Southern California Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2022, 11:08:47 AM »
My neighbor has a persimmon tree and a cherimoya tree planted in the same hole.  Their trunks are about two feet apart.  Both trees are about 15 feet tall, grow well and produce fruit.  I think the difference maker is that he angled them away from each other, so they look like a letter 'Y' growing out of the ground. Then, pruned branches that go towards the middle.

I think it's doable, especially with the same species.  I like to plant Eugenias in the same hole.  They all do fine.