Author Topic: Asiminaholics Anonymous  (Read 106172 times)

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Asiminaholics Anonymous
« Reply #150 on: July 10, 2017, 01:01:11 PM »
I believe the Sibley variety is from central or southern Louisiana, and therefore described as having lower chill-hour requirements than most others.

I haven't heard of any experimental demonstration of actual differences in chill-hour requirements among varieties of Pawpaw.
Har

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 10, 2017, 02:03:37 PM »
I believe the Sibley variety is from central or southern Louisiana, and therefore described as having lower chill-hour requirements than most others.

I haven't heard of any experimental demonstration of actual differences in chill-hour requirements among varieties of Pawpaw.
There are so many varieties that is very confusing to choose...  ;) There are descriptions here: http://www.growables.org/information/TropicalFruit/pawpawvarieties.htm

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 11, 2017, 06:25:49 AM »
Rare paw paw varieties on Europe: http://www.kwekerijdezoetewei.be/Fruit_pawpaw.php

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 11, 2017, 09:50:56 AM »
By the way, for how long a paw paw tree can produce properly? Thank's!  :)

Edit: I think i will choose the following pawpaw var to have: Wabash, Sunflower, Prima 1216, Mango, Green river Belle and Susquehanna. Any comments? Thank's!  ;D
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 12:45:15 PM by Luisport »

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile

eyeckr

• Virginia Beach, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 11, 2017, 09:52:32 PM »
Luisport getting pawpaws to grow, get established and fruit has taken me much longer than other fruit trees. In the process of trying to get my trees going I've lost a lot of large barerooted orders of grafted pawpaws. They just hate having their roots disturbed and don't take transplanting well. I've had better luck with planting pawpaw seedlings in the ground and later grafting them over when they are large enough and established.  My best tree so far has been my KSU Atwood that is taking off and setting a lot of fruit after 4 years in the ground. My Potomac is doing well and took about 5 years to fruit. I have a large Rappahannock and Prima that are still taking their time fruiting after being in the ground for maybe 7 or 8 years? I have a Mango pawpaw that I've had longer than that which is supposed to be vigorous. It was was doing pretty well but I had to dig it up and relocate it in the yard 3 years ago. That almost totally killed it but it is now finally making its way back and fruiting. I almost ordered a Green River Belle this spring but decided to try for the third time to get a Susquehanna pawpaw established in my yard. I considered Sunflower at one point but kept hearing about the bitter aftertaste it sometimes has so I passed on that variety. The other ones you chose sound good.  Hopefully you'll have better luck than me getting your pawpaws growing.

Triloba Tracker here is a picture of one of the cages I built around some fruit. It's hard to tell but it does have a top that can close and completely enclosed and protect the fruit. It is a little overkill so I am going to use the heavy duty aluminum screening to make protective fruit sacks like people use for some of their tropical mango fruit.

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 12, 2017, 05:33:59 AM »
Hi eyeckr! Thank's a lot for share your experience. That's good to know they don't like to be transplanted. I will try to choose the best place for them. I'm dying to eat one paw paw fruit and i hope i will have fruit from my two sunflower trees. This year they got flowers for the first time but they falled. I'm totaly obcessed by paw paws they really seams a must to have!  :P

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 12, 2017, 09:46:24 AM »
I'm totaly obcessed by paw paws they really seams a must to have!  :P

Love it! You sound like me. I'm nuts about them too, but not just because of the experience of eating them.
As obsessed as I am, ironically pawpaw is not my favorite fruit for eating. Maybe not even in my top 5.
For me it's a bigger thing, like the fact that it's native to North America, grows wild right here in my "backyard," the history of it, even just the appearance of the trees. Also I'm drawn to the potential that seems to exist in the fruit - knowing that there's room for more improvement and selection I guess.
Your situation reminds me of myself when i first got excited about pawpaws. It was a while until I actually was able to taste one!

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 12, 2017, 11:22:07 AM »
I'm totaly obcessed by paw paws they really seams a must to have!  :P

Love it! You sound like me. I'm nuts about them too, but not just because of the experience of eating them.
As obsessed as I am, ironically pawpaw is not my favorite fruit for eating. Maybe not even in my top 5.
For me it's a bigger thing, like the fact that it's native to North America, grows wild right here in my "backyard," the history of it, even just the appearance of the trees. Also I'm drawn to the potential that seems to exist in the fruit - knowing that there's room for more improvement and selection I guess.
Your situation reminds me of myself when i first got excited about pawpaws. It was a while until I actually was able to taste one!
Hi! Thank you for your words. I don't know regarding the flavour, but i already have a big sunflower paw paw tree and it's the most beautifull tree i have, and i have a lot! I imagine when it get fruits...  :P
By the way, how much years one paw paw tree can give fruits?
Another thing, my final paw paw list is besides the ones i already have: sunflower, prima and wabash, is to get overleese, mango, susquehanna, sibley, halvin, tollgate, and belle.  ;D Totaly adicted!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 11:24:40 AM by Luisport »

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 12, 2017, 12:57:56 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=10&v=d8CKs5S74v8

Paw Paw- The Strongest Anti-Cancer Plant?
As if those aren’t enough, Paw Paw bark may be of the strongest anti-cancer substances out there, sharing similar traits to the now-famous, exotic South American Graviola tree leaves and twigs (the tree that produces the Soursop fruit). In fact, a large-scale Purdue University study found that it had the strongest anti-cancer abilities of any such fruit/plant on the North and South American continents, even more than soursop/graviola in vitro.

Two studies published in 1997 by a Purdue University researcher Dr. Jerry McLaughlin, who has published more than 330 scientific papers and secured several patents for his work, and a doctoral student, and found that compounds in the bark of the tree showed preliminary success in fighting against drug-resistant cancers.

“The Paw Paw compounds are not only effective in killing tumors that have proven resistant to anti-cancer agents, but they also seem to have a special affinity for such resistant cells,” an article on the Purdue News website noted.

Over 40 anti-cancer compounds were found in Paw Paw bark, although McLaughlin noted that cancer cells are very complex and difficult to kill in humans. A follow-up study was undertaken, but not enough has been done as of yet to determine the ultimate effects in humans.
http://althealthworks.com/1134/the-health-benefits-of-paw-paw-vitamins-minerals-and-possible-anti-cancer-effects/

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 12, 2017, 02:16:39 PM »
i'm not sure...see if you can find anything on pawpaw.ksu.edu, but i might say between 10-15 years production once it starts fruiting?

I have heard commercial orchard operators talk about decline after 15 years or so. I have also heard a story about a "huge, old" pawpaw tree that used to fruit but no longer does.

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 12, 2017, 02:19:01 PM »

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 17, 2017, 07:19:35 PM »
Here are my babies.....planted on January 30. A couple in the back are 2nd year seedlings. They are in the 14 inch Treepots, to give you an idea of their size.

Here are some pics of the area I am prepping to plant them next spring. about 750 square feet that was previously covered with privet and invasive bush honeysuckle.
after killing back all the nasty stuff, prepping the area via sheet mulching

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 18, 2017, 10:30:17 AM »
Thank you for your pics. I'm very very enthusiastic about this fruit tree and the variability on flavour regarding this fruit. I'm shure that leaves and bark will be used on industry to make insecticids and anti-cancer drugs. Another thing i see that will expand is the comercialization of freezed pulp, ice cream, jams, alcoolic beverages like paw paw beer... The possibilities of this tree is amazing!  ;D

eyeckr

• Virginia Beach, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 18, 2017, 01:42:50 PM »
Thanks for sharing the pictures. With all that hard work your pawpaw grove will do great. Your seedlings look very healthy and will be ready for grafting in no time.

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: July 20, 2017, 09:50:02 AM »
A paw paw fruit farm in Switzerland

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPGmo-paawc

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 21, 2017, 05:54:49 AM »
I'm on the way to get one potomac paw paw tree!  ;D

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 21, 2017, 09:51:55 AM »
I'm on the way to get one potomac paw paw tree!  ;D
By the way, anyone tryed or have potomac pawpaw?

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 23, 2017, 11:13:09 AM »
Just got two more trees: Susquehanna and Shenandoah! Collection is growing fast!

maesy

• Lucerne, Switzerland
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 15, 2017, 11:18:43 AM »
Hi everyone

I have just registred today on this forum.

Thanks Luis, I've been reading here many times before especialy in the hardy citrus board.

Back to the topic, according to the link of the asimina farm in Switzerland, I have heard of such farms here, but this paticular one is in south tyrol, which is a german speaking province of northern italy at the austrian border.

I myself have two trees in my garden. A sunflower and a overlese. Maybe 10-12 years old, and we love the fruits too.

Marcel
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 11:22:01 AM by maesy »

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 16, 2017, 09:25:56 AM »
Hi everyone

Thanks Luis, I've been reading here many times before especialy in the hardy citrus board.

Back to the topic, according to the link of the asimina farm in Switzerland, I have heard of such farms here, but this paticular one is in south tyrol, which is a german speaking province of northern italy at the austrian border.

I myself have two trees in my garden. A sunflower and a overlese. Maybe 10-12 years old, and we love the fruits too.

Marcel

Welcome to the forum!! It’s great to have another pawpaw enthusiast here.

I’m curious - how did you first learn about asimina triloba?

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 16, 2017, 03:03:52 PM »
Hi everyone

Marcel
That's great you register here! This forum is the best and you will learn a lot!  ;D

maesy

• Lucerne, Switzerland
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 18, 2017, 05:31:43 PM »
For the first time I have read about paw paws in german forums maybe at least 10 years ago.
At that time, I could not find a supplier here in Switzerland. After searching hard, I found a nursary in eastern austria from where I could order two plants.

My country is not big, therefore many of my plants come from many different countries.

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 18, 2017, 08:14:12 PM »
Triloba Tracker, Nice work on the grove , and the potted plants look really healthy. Please keep us updated as your project progresses.

I have about 7 paw paw seedlings of different seedling varieties and 100 seeds stratifying in the fridge for spring. The fruits are really tasty!