Author Topic: What do these transplant shock symptoms mean?  (Read 1509 times)

WaterFowler

• Coachella Valley
    • View Profile
What do these transplant shock symptoms mean?
« on: April 13, 2015, 02:46:21 AM »
I bought two 6 foot Sapodilla Haysa trees and had them sent all the way to Southern California from Florida. The root balls were bagged in plastic and it took 5 days to get here, arriving on the 3rd of this month.

One of the trees had all old growth and looked good, and it still looks strong. But the second one, and slightly bigger of the two, had probably 75% of it's leaves that were new growth, bright light green leaves, and it look really sad. All the new leaves, were completely limp. So I transplanted them, 24 hours later the new leaves started to perk up a bit, then I added more water and they started drooping again, so I have been really stingy with the water, adding a little only when it starts to dry up an inch below the surface.

So, here's the problem. I've had the trees 10 days, and put the distressed tree in filtered light(85 deg highs) three days ago and the new growth still looks good, all are perked up and show no signs of distress, but all the old growth leaves are becoming brittle, silvery, and falling off.  What does this mean? I thought the new leaves would be the first to dry up if the plant was in trouble.

I'll post photos tomorrow in the daylight to show, you what I mean.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 03:55:50 PM by WaterFowler »

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
Re: What do these transplant shock symptoms mean?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 03:21:31 AM »
I've heard saps don't take well to shipping.

The Silas Woods I ordered this year dropped 95% of its leaves and has shown no signs of new growth.  It was only in shipment for 2 days also.

It is most likely due to the root system disturbance.  Most trees will snap out of this fine, but may possibly lose to tip shoot along with most leaves.

michsu

• Hacienda Heights, CA (Southern California, Los Angeles)
    • View Profile
    • Pictures of my trees.. nothing fancy
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 10:15:41 AM »
it's always like that with mail order plants.. it doesn't look like the pictures  ;D haha, I'm used to it already.. as long as it doesn't die, it's going to be fine.. it's just been in a box for a long time, that's all.. and it still has to get used to the weather (dry) over here too.. they usually start to grow new leaves after one month..

WaterFowler

• Coachella Valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 03:51:17 PM »

The tree I'm referring to is on the right. Not the greatest pic, but if you look closely, all the older leaves are shriveled and brown. Most of them have already fallen off. This has happened in only 10 days. I'm wondering if the newer leaves are next.

I've heard saps don't take well to shipping.

The Silas Woods I ordered this year dropped 95% of its leaves and has shown no signs of new growth.  It was only in shipment for 2 days also.

It is most likely due to the root system disturbance.  Most trees will snap out of this fine, but may possibly lose to tip shoot along with most leaves.

Do you treat the plant with sugar water, if you think there is a growth problem with the roots?

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 08:50:50 PM »
I use worm castings and epsom salts.  Then make sure to water daily a few weeks, but no water trap so it fully drains away.  Forces the roots to push.