Author Topic: Mulberry Thread.  (Read 71208 times)

countryboy1981

• 8B Alabama
    • View Profile
Re: Mulberry Thread.
« Reply #150 on: August 03, 2018, 09:46:07 PM »
Just had my first taste of "Australian" mulberry. The tree is barely 3ft tall and was dormant until the last maybe 6-7 weeks. Looking at google images they are similarly shaped  and ripe colored like "White Shahtoot". They were delicious. Very sweet and delicate with a hint of melon/cantaloupe. Got it from TopTropicals so who knows what it really is.

I got one hoping it is the Pakistan White.  I just got it.  It is a difficult one to find.

countryboy1981

• 8B Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 08, 2018, 08:14:59 AM »
Does anyone know the cold hardiness of "australian" mulberry?

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 16, 2018, 11:27:07 PM »
The Pakistan white mulberry when ripe has lavender vanilla and honey overtones with none of the tartness that mulberries typically have. That doesn’t mean it’s overly or sickly sweet, it’s just a pleasantly distinctive flavor.

K

so does anyone have the white mulberry when ripe? how does it compare to the others?

fourseasonsflorida

• Where the subtropical and temperate meet...
    • USA, Florida, Titusville, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 28, 2018, 10:59:43 AM »
What's the scientific name of Pakistan Mulberry? I guese it is not a variety of Morus nigra,

This looks to be a very information site: https://www.growingmulberry.org/selection

Morus macroura (Himalayan mulberry)

There are undoubtedly many different cultivars of Morus macroura in the US, but most are referred to as either white, red, or black 'Pakistan' or 'Shahtoot' (which translates from the Persian language as 'King Mulberry'), though some cultivars or hybrids of Morus alba are also called 'Pakistan' because they possess elongated fruit (or called Morus alba in error).
Nate

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 13, 2018, 07:02:00 AM »
Anyone growing mulberry seedlings? I've read that they will be different from the parent. I have a 3ft tall seedling from an Everbearing mulberry and two small seedlings from a Giant/FL Giant mulberry.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 28, 2019, 08:27:41 PM »
I've been enjoying some ripened "White" mulberries the past 2 days. Though small, they are very sweet and turn a light hue of purple when ripe. Taste is a little reminiscent of "Australian" mulberry but the cantelope notes are much stronger in the latter. Shangri LA is delicious. Sweet with a nice tang- like sweetened concentrated cool-aid. I love mulberries.
F*ck squirrels and deers

countryboy1981

• 8B Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 07, 2020, 11:48:19 AM »
Well it looks like my green australian mulberry didn't make it.  It succumbed to about 28 degrees or so when green buds were starting to form.

beicadad

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 08, 2020, 11:11:30 PM »
Does anyone have Australian green or Himalayan red cuttings for sale? I want to graft them onto my mulberry. Thanks

hammer524

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 22, 2022, 12:17:57 AM »
Has anyone heard of the mulberry variety "House of the Virgin Mary"? It supposedly originates in turkey and produces a white fruit. I purchased two cuttings a few days ago on figbid and was wondering if might be a synonym for another variety.

countryboy1981

• 8B Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 06, 2022, 08:40:11 AM »
There are two mulberry varities available at my local walmart and was wondering if anyone knew which varities these actually are:

"Everbearing" mulberry:

https://chestnuthilltreefarm.com/shop/everbearing-mulberry/

My guess would be dward everbearing they just left off the dwarf?  Or would it be the Illinois everbearing?

"Black" mulberry:

https://chestnuthilltreefarm.com/shop/black-mulberry-2/

It says morus nigra but I doubt they would have a true black mulberry from a Florida grower.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 06, 2022, 07:25:10 PM »
There are two mulberry varities available at my local walmart and was wondering if anyone knew which varities these actually are:

"Everbearing" mulberry:

https://chestnuthilltreefarm.com/shop/everbearing-mulberry/

My guess would be dward everbearing they just left off the dwarf?  Or would it be the Illinois everbearing?

"Black" mulberry:

https://chestnuthilltreefarm.com/shop/black-mulberry-2/

It says morus nigra but I doubt they would have a true black mulberry from a Florida grower.

No idea, but neither are nigra for sure.

I'm going to be attempting some nigra in Al, but I don't have high hopes for them to cope with humidity.

grant5185

• Sebastian, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 07, 2022, 09:41:44 AM »
Looking to buy some 3 or even better, 7 gal trees here in FL.   I think I want
-- White Paki
-- Black Paki
--Red Himalyan
-- non dwarf everbearing (was told dwarf is not as good?)
Thx for any leads.  I am in Sebastian but willing to pick up any place within a few hrs drive (espec if I can get them all at one place)

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 11, 2022, 07:21:21 AM »
"Everbearing" mulberry (or what its labelled as and most proliferant in the FL nursery trade) is probably my least favorite. I've been enjoying fruit from a "Dwarf Mulberry" I bought from Walmart for $10 some 5 years ago. The fruit really seems to come of age as the tree though they are 1/6 the size of a "Tice" or "Shangri LA" (sp?). Small fruit but very sweet (rasin/currant flavor) with branches loaded with 3-4 fruit per 2" of length. The tree remains small as well at 8ft with a weeping habit.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2022, 12:25:01 PM by TnTrobbie »
F*ck squirrels and deers