Author Topic: Be careful with variety fakes.  (Read 2780 times)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Be careful with variety fakes.
« on: June 03, 2012, 08:37:50 AM »
In my quest to get good varieties of fruit trees and even chillies I have noticed there are many fakes out there.With chillies Bhut jolokia fake seeds have been bought many times and now Butch T scorpion and moruga scorpion are usually disappointing purchasers.The identity of durian culivars was in chaos for a long time due to lesser types bein passed off as elite clones.I had a difficult time etting the real mapran wan when maprang mayon chid was commonly being passed off as wan.The labelled durians and maprangs at a local research facility were all wrong for years and even distributed with incorrect labels.Getting the real sumalee salak has taken me years and the genuine sweet types of tamarind have been the same.Now I see it with dragonfruit.
It is such a long time to wait for fruit and then be disappointed.Much of the time no one knows because there is nothing to judge it by.Have other people had experiences with fake variety identities?

Adacaosky

• View Profile
Re: Be careful with variety fakes.
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 12:22:02 PM »
Sorry you had the short end of the stick for all those purchases.  :-[ The worst I've ever experienced was purchasing a supposedly grafted Kent and Dot mango off eBay. After spending more than these very common varieties are actually worth (1 gal pots), I opened the box to what looks like random seedling mango trees. Seller response was "I guarantee that they are grafted varieties. As for the lack of a graft line or scar, they were grafted at a very young age." Since grafted varieties can take up to 2 years to fruit, who knows if I have misplaced my trust in that seller.... I honestly could not find a graft line at all..... But I'll wait and see..  My window of hope closes after about another 1 yr. 9 mos. more...  :-[ :'(  That is the last time I'll ever do that.
✌🏽

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 01:15:00 PM »
Dragonfruit varieties are not very distinctive and not very well-described. It's more like a continuous spectrum of colors and taste. 

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 11:48:12 PM »
In my quest to get good varieties of fruit trees and even chillies I have noticed there are many fakes out there.With chillies Bhut jolokia fake seeds have been bought many times and now Butch T scorpion and moruga scorpion are usually disappointing purchasers.The identity of durian culivars was in chaos for a long time due to lesser types bein passed off as elite clones.I had a difficult time etting the real mapran wan when maprang mayon chid was commonly being passed off as wan.The labelled durians and maprangs at a local research facility were all wrong for years and even distributed with incorrect labels.Getting the real sumalee salak has taken me years and the genuine sweet types of tamarind have been the same.Now I see it with dragonfruit.
It is such a long time to wait for fruit and then be disappointed.Much of the time no one knows because there is nothing to judge it by.Have other people had experiences with fake variety identities?

Yup. Happens all the time. I'd say most of the fakes are just honest mistakes. There's a lot of confusion in our fruit world!  :(
Oscar

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 12:12:17 AM »
Sorry you had the short end of the stick for all those purchases.  :-[ The worst I've ever experienced was purchasing a supposedly grafted Kent and Dot mango off eBay. After spending more than these very common varieties are actually worth (1 gal pots), I opened the box to what looks like random seedling mango trees. Seller response was "I guarantee that they are grafted varieties. As for the lack of a graft line or scar, they were grafted at a very young age." Since grafted varieties can take up to 2 years to fruit, who knows if I have misplaced my trust in that seller.... I honestly could not find a graft line at all..... But I'll wait and see..  My window of hope closes after about another 1 yr. 9 mos. more...  :-[ :'(  That is the last time I'll ever do that.
Evidence of grafting does not disappear that quick.  You would definitely still be able to see the graft union at the time of purchase.
- Rob

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 08:57:44 AM »

If you post a few pics of the entire tree and the trunk, someone on the forum would definitely be able to tell you if it was grafted or not.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk