Author Topic: July 14-15 Fairchild's 20th Annual International Mango Festival UPDATED W/ PICS  (Read 35917 times)

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
The 20th Annual International Mango Festival

http://www.fairchildgarden.org/events/

When: Saturday, July 14, 2012 - Sunday, July 15, 2012 from 9:30 AM to 4:30 PM

The Mangos of Fairchild: Evolution, Celebrating 20 Years of the Mango
It began over twenty years ago with an idea―a seed―planted in the fertile ground of Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden; a celebration of the mango beneath the shade of the very mango trees collected a century earlier by Dr. David Fairchild. Twenty fruiting seasons have passed, and we continue to celebrate, collect and curate, teach and learn about the mango.
In the last twenty years, we have introduced the global mango community to new flavorful, fiberless mangos that are horticulturaly superior to mangos of the past and fit perfectly into modern production systems and today’s smaller yards. Fairchild’s 20th annual International Mango Festival celebrates twenty years of The Mangos of Fairchild: Evolution.
Visit the festival to shop Curator Choice mango trees and fresh fruit, enjoy mango lectures and smoothies, view the world's largest display of mangos, take part in the world's only mango auction and buy mango merchandise and botanical art. There will also be mango culinary demonstrations, our one of a kind mango brunch, a fantastic International Fruit Market and fun activities for kids.

Lectures
Saturday – July 14 (Garden House)

1:00 p.m.        The Mangos of Fairchild: Evolution,
                         Dr. Richard J. Campbell, FTBG
2:00 p.m.        Wild mangos of Indonesia, Borneo – and South Florida,
                         Noris Ledesma, FTBG
3:00 p.m.        Mangos of Puerto Rico, Dr. Yair Aron, Martex
3:45 p.m.        Critical Aspects of Mango Growing,
                         Dr. Jonathan Crane, Univ. of Florida
Sunday – July 15 (Mango Demonstration Tent)
10:30 a.m.      Grafting Mangos, Noris Ledesma, FTBG
11:30 a.m.      Selecting and Growing the Perfect Mango,
                         Jeff Wasielewski, FTBG
1:00 p.m.         Mango Pruning, Erik Teitig, Pine Island Nursery
2:00 p.m.         Mango Diseases and Control, Adrian Hundsberger,
                          Univ. of Florida Coop. Ext. Service   

Update 7/14/2012:

Display tables. These mangos are auctioned on the last day of the Festival

Display tables.

Display tables.

These Andersen mangos were over 5 lbs each

This will be me when I retire

Mango market for Florida grown ($2) & imported ($1) mangos.

Mango market

Mango market

Mango market

There were lots of food choices including these Gourmet food trucks

They were selling Mango sorbets, smoothies, mango-flavored beer, mango everything! 

Florida grown mangosteen inside the Whitman Pavilion 

Diospyros Malabarica

« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 05:29:03 PM by murahilin »
FloridaGreenMan

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
So who is going ?
- Rob

MarinFla

• Deerfield Beach, FL 33442
    • USA, Deerfield Beach/FL, 33442. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Noel Thanks for the information with the lectures. I am planning to go. Definitely Saturday, not sure about Sunday. My husband wants no part of my mango festivities, so I am on my own....Anyone want to carpool/rideshare with me ?? Let me know . I'll have lots of room  for people and trees (leaving the sports car home in favor of the big SUV) :) I have never been to Fairchild's or the annual festival so I am very much looking forward to this!

« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 09:47:55 PM by MarinFla »

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
I'll be down there Friday and Saturday.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
I wish I could go this year. The topics on Saturday look very interesting.

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
  • obsessed with fruit growing, especially lychees
    • View Profile
marin- i plan on going early saturday

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
I am flying in from Bermuda for this.  Sat and Sunday I'll be there.  I will actually it my first grafted mango free this year as I have someone in Florida who agreed to keep it for me.  Woo hoo!  And yes, I will be loading up on mangoes to eat all week.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
Saturday is the day for getting trees....even then you have to be early when the gates open 8AM? because they go quick and none are left in 2 hours and none for Sunday. Trees go for $35 I believe and I hear they are smaller than the usual $35 tree you can get. Correct me if I am wrong on this.

I doubt I am going but if I were....It would be Sunday. More educational seminars on that day

Sunday – July 15 (Mango Demonstration Tent)
10:30 a.m.      Grafting Mangos, Noris Ledesma, FTBG
11:30 a.m.      Selecting and Growing the Perfect Mango,
                         Jeff Wasielewski, FTBG
1:00 p.m.         Mango Pruning, Erik Teitig, Pine Island Nursery
2:00 p.m.         Mango Diseases and Control, Adrian Hundsberger,

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Zands,
It appears that their are an equal number of lectures each day. 4 on Saturday, 4 on Sunday. What do you mean there will be more on Sunday?

bsbullie

• View Profile
Zands,
It appears that their are an equal number of lectures each day. 4 on Saturday, 4 on Sunday. What do you mean there will be more on Sunday?
I don't think he more in the way of numbers, I think he meant more in the way of educational.  While they may appeal to you, and others, two of Saturdays lectures deal with mangoes in specific countries whereas Sundays lectures seem to deal with more issues that would be directly relevant to people growing mangoes in SFla.
- Rob

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I don't think he more in the way of numbers, I think he meant more in the way of educational.  While they may appeal to you, and others, two of Saturdays lectures deal with mangoes in specific countries whereas Sundays lectures seem to deal with more issues that would be directly relevant to people growing mangoes in SFla.

Rob, do you really think I did not understand what he possibly meant? I asked my question in a way to let him explain without coming off as assuming.

Now that you've brought it up, I don't think the subject matter of Saturday's lectures make them any more or less educational. I think the content will be the deciding factor in that. In my opinion, I think that Sunday's lectures will be more basic and have information that is readily available anywhere such as "grafting a mango", "pruning a mango", "mango diseases and control", and everyones favorite topic.. "Help me pick which mango tree I am going to plant in my yard and tell me how to take care of it".

The majority of Saturday's lectures appear to have more educational value in the sense that the information is not as readily available and would be more novel. I doubt many of us has heard much on topics in the first three lectures of the day.

bsbullie

• View Profile

Rob, do you really think I did not understand what he possibly meant? I asked my question in a way to let him explain without coming off as assuming.

Now that you've brought it up, I don't think the subject matter of Saturday's lectures make them any more or less educational. I think the content will be the deciding factor in that. In my opinion, I think that Sunday's lectures will be more basic and have information that is readily available anywhere such as "grafting a mango", "pruning a mango", "mango diseases and control", and everyones favorite topic.. "Help me pick which mango tree I am going to plant in my yard and tell me how to take care of it".

The majority of Saturday's lectures appear to have more educational value in the sense that the information is not as readily available and would be more novel. I doubt many of us has heard much on topics in the first three lectures of the day.
I didn't say I agreed with him, was just clarifying (I also figured you were smart enough to understand but others reading who may not know you may have thought differently)...I think I will go do some searcing on Google  ;) ;D :P 8)
- Rob

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
Zands,

Sunday's lectures are educational as to practical mango growing and propagation in the backyard. Saturday has mangoes of Puerto Rico, Borneo etc, while nice to know, is not directly related to home mango cultivation. The Crane lecture on Saturday is similar to the Sunday lectures

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
Who's going to take pics >:( ? (before, someone takes this the wrong way...I'm joking ;) )
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 12:41:05 PM by Jackfruitwhisperer69 »
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Who's going to take pics >:( ? (before, someone takes this the wrong way...I'm joking ;) )

Warren(FruitGuy) should be at the festival and he always takes excellent pics. He just has a tendency to lose them all because of defective memory cards.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile

Warren(FruitGuy) should be at the festival and he always takes excellent pics. He just has a tendency to lose them all because of defective memory cards.

Hi Mura,
Awesome 8) Warren...if you are reading this...Please take loads of pics to share with us fellow members...since alot of us, live far away and even on the other side of the world :( Thanks in advance :) (Take a bullet proof memory card to ensure the survival of all them pics ;)...has to me several times with my other camera :'( )
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
I will be there also and I usually take plenty of photos. It's a great event and everyone on the Forum should make it there at least once. I have been to this festival at least ten times.

FloridaGreenMan

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
Guys!  Don't you realize it upsets the kids when the heroes aren't in harmony?

I didn't say I agreed with him, was just clarifying (I also figured you were smart enough to understand but others reading who may not know you may have thought differently)...I think I will go do some searcing on Google  ;) ;D :P 8)

mangomandan

• View Profile
Marin,  I would have loved to rideshare with you.
I could have been your elderly chaperon.   :)
But I had already signed up to come via bus,  by way of the Palm Beach Fruit Counsel.

Noel Thanks for the information with the lectures. I am planning to go. Definitely Saturday, not sure about Sunday. My husband wants no part of my mango festivities, so I am on my own....Anyone want to carpool/rideshare with me ?? Let me know . I'll have lots of room  for people and trees (leaving the sports car home in favor of the big SUV) :) I have never been to Fairchild's or the annual festival so I am very much looking forward to this!

mangomandan

• View Profile
Memo to those who can run the fastest    (Alex, are you listening?) :

Leave a couple trees for the rest of us, okay?  ;)

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
Memo to those who can run the fastest    (Alex, are you listening?) :

Leave a couple trees for the rest of us, okay?  ;)

By the time you get there Dan the only trees left will be the Jean Ellens. haha

mangomandan

• View Profile
Richard Campbell was just telling me that Jean Ellens grown in Loxahatchee combine the best qualities of Edward and Gary, with the productivity and disease resistance of Tommy Atkins.........

Speaking of the progeny of Edward and Gary, I tasted an Edgar, which seems to be named after those two.  It was very good, if not quite as exquisite as that combination might suggest.     Do you know if these are being propagated for sale?

MarinFla

• Deerfield Beach, FL 33442
    • USA, Deerfield Beach/FL, 33442. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Marin,  I would have loved to rideshare with you.
I could have been your elderly chaperon.   :)
But I had already signed up to come via bus,  by way of the Palm Beach Fruit Counsel.

I didn't realize they had a bus going....hum...wonder how can they fit all the trees people buy if the bus is full? I would rather drive so that I have the freedom to come and go as I please. BTW I am an elder advocate LOLOL

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
I will be there also and I usually take plenty of photos. It's a great event and everyone on the Forum should make it there at least once. I have been to this festival at least ten times.

Hi FloridaGreenMan,
I can't wait to see them pics that all fellow members are going to post 8)...including yours FGM ;D

Hopefully in the near future...i will attend this wonderful event which make mango lovers go LOCO :)

Thanks in advance :) 
Time is like a river.

mangomanic12

• Phoenix, AZ
    • View Profile
I would love to attend Saturdays functions i would fly down from ny via  Az  is it worth it?  Would be my first time.  Significant other works for the airlines so my airfare is covered

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk