Author Topic: July 14-15 Fairchild's 20th Annual International Mango Festival UPDATED W/ PICS  (Read 35938 times)

bulldawg

• View Profile
Up until last year Fairchild believed Cac to be an Edward seedling from Hawaii so its possible they got the name wrong.
Forget the naming issue, whether mistakenly or purposely misspelled...I have trouble believing they were that far off on its origin.

Thats what the man told me, lol.
also,
Bsbullie, thanks for helping select the CC, LZ and Cushman trees a couple weeks ago. I finally got them planted.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms

I wonder if someone has ever invited Dr. R. Campbell ,Ms. Noris Ledesma and Dr. Crane to the forum? It would be freak'n awesome to see them here ;D

The only one of those 3 who I could even see peaking their head in here is Crane. And that would probably last about 10 seconds.

MarinFla

• Deerfield Beach, FL 33442
    • USA, Deerfield Beach/FL, 33442. Zone 10b
    • View Profile

I wonder if someone has ever invited Dr. R. Campbell ,Ms. Noris Ledesma and Dr. Crane to the forum? It would be freak'n awesome to see them here ;D

The only one of those 3 who I could even see peaking their head in here is Crane. And that would probably last about 10 seconds.

I don't know about that....I wish I would have thought of it while I had their ears. They seem very easy going, approachable and unhurried. I was impressed they spent as much time chatting with me as they did. You just never know....they might be full of surprises!

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
I don't know about that....I wish I would have thought of it while I had their ears. They seem very easy going, approachable and unhurried. I was impressed they spent as much time chatting with me as they did. You just never know....they might be full of surprises!

I emailed Dr. Crane a chatty message about the forum, including the pictures of the metallic blue fruit from the Amazon Rainforest... so we might find out if he would be interested in the group. 
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile

That long? Lol.

I agree though. Dr Crane may check it out but I doubt he would even register or post.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile

That long? Lol.

I agree though. Dr Crane may check it out but I doubt he would even register or post.

Crane, Campbell, Ledeesma.....All three of them get pestered enough by the great unwashed. Why would any of them post here to be flattered, questioned, sucked up to, pestered even more? Unless one of them is nuts just kidding.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 11:59:20 AM by zands »

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
  • obsessed with fruit growing, especially lychees
    • View Profile
the conch fritter truck had a line from the minute it started serving food till i left at 3pm. they made out big time, but all the food vendors were extremly busy. us americans sure love our food!
those pies from Kenny's pies were insanely good. there are available online- i highly recommend.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery

That long? Lol.

Crane, Campbell, Ledeesma.....All three of them get pestered enough by the great unwashed. Why would any of them post here to be flattered, questioned, sucked up to, pestered even more? Unless one of them is nuts just kidding.

There was an idea floated on another group which i thought was pretty good and might work called: Ask the Pro. So they only need to make an appearance once a month or so, when they have time, a time of their choosing, and a few select questions are submitted to them. Why would they do it? Because it's their profession!  ::)
The other little reason for them to do it is that no matter how smart you "think" you are there is always so much left to learn. And i bet there are a thing or two these so called pros could learn from this forum!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 06:31:17 PM by fruitlovers »
Oscar

MarinFla

• Deerfield Beach, FL 33442
    • USA, Deerfield Beach/FL, 33442. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
the conch fritter truck had a line from the minute it started serving food till i left at 3pm. they made out big time, but all the food vendors were extremly busy. us americans sure love our food!
those pies from Kenny's pies were insanely good. there are available online- i highly recommend.
I bought one of those Mango Pies and put it in the freezer. I couldn't resist! The conch salad wasn't as good as I expected it to be. The conch fritters were as expected....you just can't eat too many!!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 08:16:44 PM by MarinFla »

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
This was my second year at the festival and the second year I did not make it to the fruit auction.  Did anyone attend this, this year or prior.  Despite my not making it, I am curious as to the range of prices people pay for the various plates of fruit.  Anybody?

bulldawg

• View Profile
I have gone in the past and its actually very entertaining. They have a real auctioneer calling out prices and people get into all out bidding wars. The highest basket of mangos went for close to $500(no Joke), which was a result of 3 seperate people bidding. You will learn more about mango varieties there than anywhere in the fistival. Dr Campbell speaks about every single one before auctioning them.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
Wow. What about the other end of the spectrum?  What was the cheapest you recall a basket selling for?  Auction just seems like automatically jacked up pricing to me.  Curious as to how people navigate the frenzy.  Next year, I have to put this on my list to attend.

bulldawg

• View Profile
The cheapest that I recall were $15-$20 range. Suprisingly the variety that sold for the highest were the Champagne.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Wow. What about the other end of the spectrum?  What was the cheapest you recall a basket selling for?  Auction just seems like automatically jacked up pricing to me.  Curious as to how people navigate the frenzy.  Next year, I have to put this on my list to attend.

Auctions are great for sellers to make money, terrible for spendthrift buyers. Same happens here...buyers get into bidding wars and end up paying 4 to 10 times what items are worth. But what the heck, if it's for a good cause and everyone has fun, it's good all the way around.
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk