Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 267418 times)

UrbanFruitGrower

• USA, FL, Coral Gables, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #1425 on: December 30, 2017, 01:59:37 PM »
Greetings and Happy Holidays/New Years to All,

I'm new to the forum but have spent the last few months learning about high density planting, urban fruit tree orchards, and other experimental agricultural techniques for maximizing productivity in finite spaces.  My approach to building my edible landscape in Miami-Dade and Broward Counties is driven by data, evidence, and collective knowledge. At the moment, I have 20+ different types of edible-/fruit trees or shrubs including 19 mangos (and growing!), 8 avocados (and growing!), 10 bananas (you get the idea), carambola, papaya, jaboticaba, mamey, mulberry, raspberry, guava, coffee, cacao, atemoya, etc. etc. etc.  Most of the cultivars I have can be found on my profile.  This has been an exciting experience to share with my 21 month old son, who has been instrumental in assisting me plant them into the ground. 

In any event, I look forward to getting to know and learn from many of you, sharing experiences & perspectives, and bartering knowledge, scions, fruit, and good times!

Warm wishes!
Luis

PrincessTigerLily

• US, San Diego CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: December 31, 2017, 08:09:26 PM »
Greetings and Happy New Year!

My name is Lily.  I love reading this forum, a wealth of information. For Christmas I wished for green thumbs  and some Annona plants.

We moved from the IE to San Diego about three years ago. I have about 30 fruit trees around the house. Most of the three were purchased from HD ( the typical plants  guava, figs, lime, plum, etc…), which I am  regretting and planting to dig them all up.   I have  an African Pride Atemoya, soursop, lychee, longan and a wax apple plant  purchased from ong's nursery three years ago. Two cherimoya purchased from Lowes last year.  I also have some Thai lessard and Vietnamese sugar apple seedlings from eBay a year ago  they are growing quite well outdoor. The  only tree that produced well  for me is the AP, it produced about 50 excellent fruits . Last year I Got 10 longan fruits and about five wax apple, 12 cherimoya fruit the size of a golf ball that tasted like ... non from other tropical plants. .  I hope the master gardeners here can help me improve my gardening skill!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 03:57:48 PM by PrincessTigerLily »

mecburk

• Sealy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: February 01, 2018, 09:32:16 PM »
Hi!  found this forum because I was looking for info on a Bloomsweet grapefruit tree that I bought today at Brazos Citrus Nursery.  I asked the owner for 10 cold hardy trees not knowing what I would get.  From this forum there was quite a lot to learn about the gentics .  I live in Texas on the Brazos river and have about 50 diferent fruit trees and nuts.   I have a few trees that are frozen and have live root stock to graft back new varietys.  My hardiest citrus is the Texas republic orange.  I bought 4 Kumquat today and calamondin.   I     

ttp0409

• San Jose, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: February 02, 2018, 02:57:59 PM »
Hi everyone.
My name is Kevin and today is my first day in this forum.  My wife and I love fruit trees.  We currently have persimmon, orange, lemon, sweet lemon, avocado, Asian pear.  We have enough space for 3-4 more fruit trees but still undecided what to get and will it be able to survive the climate where i live.  I'm thinking about getting a jujube, longan, lychee, and something else.  Any advise for us will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Avinsmith

• Viet Nam
    • View Profile
    • Www.facebook.com/avnsmith
Avocado lover
« Reply #1429 on: February 03, 2018, 06:41:46 AM »
Hi, everybody. I'm from Viet Nam. I have study biotechnology but now i just work as  farmer. Cause i love agri so much. And avocado is my favourite. I just wanna  contact and make business with friend all over the world

Cythompson159@yahoo.com

• Fruitnut
    • East central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: February 03, 2018, 07:19:30 AM »
Hey, my name is Cyrus....

I've become a crazed tropical fruit tree guy in the last few years. I went from having no fruit trees to having several now, a uf gem peach, Joey avacado, lemon, lime, coconut cream and lemon zest mango, ruby supreme guava, blood orange, sugar apple and a lychee. I monitor the trees daily, only feed organically. I am excited to find this forum to learn from other and share any info where I can. I have researched almost every bit of info Google has to offer but know the best information will come from people with experience and a passion from what they do.

luckycloud

• zone 7B (NC)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: February 18, 2018, 06:49:00 PM »
Hi all,

I'm mainly a container grower of tropical fruit. I have a long-lived lemon tree, and recently expanded my citrus to include limes and mandarins. I'm also expecting delivery of avocado, mango, and coffee trees next month. I also grow pineapple from store fruit, and have a couple of types on banana plants. This year I am experimenting with zone pushing hardy citrus. I love trying new things and growing my own food. Happy spring!

Suebelle

• San Jose, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: February 19, 2018, 04:28:19 PM »
Hello everybody,
My name is Alena and I got into this addiction just recently. I am Czechoslovakian by origin so forgive my language errors.
I live in San Jose, California so weather is quite suitable for many trop-fruit trees. Ten years ago I planted  suebelle sapote from Home Depot(less than 30$). I love that tree very much. It is making wonderful tasty fruit whole year long. I did not imagine how great decision I did on a whim.
Recently I retired and I started to read more about sapotes, than I found this site and I got hooked. At this moment I have 3 guavas, golden berry, klementine, tiny cherimoya and jaboticaba, curry tree, strawberry tree, carambola, passion fruit, magic berry and goji berry. Of course I have some ďregularĒ trees and bushes - apple, blueberry, gooseberry, red currant and I try to do some vegetable growing also. I want to get some mango and avocado tree also.
I am discovering how wonderful it is to plant, grow and use fruits of your work. Well, better late than never....
I was always city person and never had much connection with gardening before so this is like opening new miraculous world.
Since my garden is pretty much limited in size I am trying to explore some container growing, especially with cold susceptible trees. There can be some cold winter nights in San Jose.

I am grateful for any suggestions what is good to grow in San Jose.
Thanks to the people behind this forum. I appreciate very much to be here.

Charlie

• Arkansas USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: February 22, 2018, 12:10:50 PM »
Hello,I'm Charlie from Arkansas.  What brought me to this forum was research on growing sugarcane.  I have already got a few varieties on the way from Green Planet Farm in Florida and intend to try pot cultivation so to bring it in over Winter.  I read an old thread here http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=827.125 on a manual sugarcane juicer and decided to join up.  You all seem like a friendly bunch.

Other than that I normally try to grow things not usually grown locally.  I have many varieties of Fig, thirteen Oriental and hybrid Persimmon varieties, and a few prickly pear cacti. I won't know exactly how many of any survived the Winter until Spring arrives.  I do quite a bit of cold hardiness testing of various things and have a few other trees and berries.

One of my first jobs as a kid was working in a sorghum cane operation during harvest time.  We stripped the canes, cut, bundled and hauled them to the mill, squeezed the juice and the rest was done by the old timers who wouldn't let us touch the syrup process but I learned a lot just watching and have a renewed interest in my older age.  I ordered some sorghum cane seeds to plant this year as well.

Having made that intro, I'm wondering if anybody has ever tried a hydraulic jack press for juicing canes, like they do with a tincture press?  Seems no cane could hold it's juice under tons of crushing force.  I have been planning on building one for awhile now and this has just given me more incentive.  ;D

z_willus_d

• US, CA, Roseville, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: February 27, 2018, 08:20:04 PM »
Hello,

I recently encountered this excellent discussion forum while researching Avocado tree cultivation practices.  I live in a suburb of Sacramento in Northern California where I have a small backyard with a somewhat larger north-west facing hillside.  I hope to cultivate a vineyard on terraces that I've been slowly building up through the years, but this is a long term project.  In the meantime, to keep my interests sated, I've planted various fruit trees, starting with Citrus, then stone, then olives, and now more avocados.

I currently have three potted avocado trees (~3-4 years of age), Mexicola, Fuerte, and Bacon.  These have yet to set and hold fruit, though they seem to be surviving their time.  I worry for their long term survival and health.  I recently purchased six more 5-gal avocado trees (2x Holiday, 2x Lamb-Hass, Sir Prize, and Pinkerton).  I'm need to work-out how best to situate these new arrivals, and I plan to create another post with questions therein related.

Other than fruit trees, I've been an vegetable gardener for many years with an emphasis on tomatoes (100+ plants in various raised beds).  I fight fusarium/veritcillium soil fungi problems, and so I've spent a good deal of effort with grafting heirlooms onto resistant rootstock.  I have yet to graft a fruit-tree scion, and that's an area of learning I'd really like to dive into.

I dream of building a greenhouse and growing exotic mangoes and other such tropicals, but I think that will be a project for a future home.  Since I'm not ready to set my roots where we're currently living, I've taken great lengths to use pots and containers on many of my trees (though not all).  I don't like the idea that this will shorten the lifespan of the trees and result in an untenable situation ultimately, so I've been researching RootBuilder/AirPot solutions, root air pruning methods, MicroKote, etc.

Before I start diving into details that are better reserved for a separate post, I'll end the introduction.  Are there any others in the Sacramento Valley area on this forum/site?  If so, I hope to meet you.
-naysen

JSea

• New Zealand, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: February 28, 2018, 02:16:36 AM »
Hi Folks,

I'm from the West coast of New Zealand and am planning a decent sized agroforestry block. The tricky part is that our climate there is kind of halfway between temperate and subtropical. It's too wet and doesn't quite get cold enough to be temperate, but it's also not warm enough and I've heard there are occasional frosts so it's not really subtropical either! I won't be able to plant anything for a while, but I'm really keen to learn about what's available, and all the cool plants from overseas. I'm right now interested in plants like Inga, and want to get into breeding plants later.

I'm especially keen to hear form anyone with a similar climate (approximately 2 meters of rain annually, spread evenly, and temperatures mostly between 8 and 22 degrees) - e.g. I think central coastal Chile is similar.

Guoyang Gao

• XiChang, SiChuan Province,China 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: March 04, 2018, 09:56:40 PM »
Hi everyone,
     I come from a small city in Southwest China. As a green hand, I've planted some  Eugenia species,Jaboticaba species and Carica(papaya) species in my garden. My hometown has a sub-tropical plateau climate which always provides us with generous sunshine as well as apparent diurnal temperature fluctuations and uneven rainfall. So I come here to learn from all of you and share the joy of tropical fruit growing.
    Again, I'd like to express my appreciation to everyone, especially the staff behind this forum for your passion and devotion.

Best Regards,
    Guoyang

gaston85

• FRANCE, USDA Z 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: March 05, 2018, 04:16:19 PM »
Hi everybody,
i am running a nursery in France. We focus an uncommon plants and particularly fruits (for french people!!). At the moment we develop asimina, feijoas and hardy Citrus . I am looking for new ideas like Psidium or uncommon fruits worthy of attention that are somewhat hardy (-8 celsius at least). personnaly i am interested in every plant and more if it taste good.

Diyfreddy

• Rosemead/Los Angeles 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: March 06, 2018, 01:32:46 AM »
Here to learn about growing/grafting/air layering etc  tropical and fruit trees in general. Not a total newbie but I have lots to learn Iím sure. Presently thinking about growing my own Ataulfo seedlings for grafting here in SoCal
🌱

MangoManic

• 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: March 09, 2018, 01:19:51 PM »
Hi Gang,

Though I'm a new member, I am not new to the forum. I have used it as a go-to when learning about mangoes. I have been particularly interested in grafting experience and poly vs. mono-embryonic classifications of mango varieties. I purchased my first plants last year and am preparing to plant them during the rainy season this year.

Linh

• USA, California, Westminster, zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1440 on: March 13, 2018, 02:49:04 AM »
Hi everyone,
My name is Linh. I live in Orange County, Southern California.
I have been reading and learning a lot from forum postings. I donít know enough to say much. I have great intests in life sciences in general. Since junior high school I have been very interested in plants. I was hybridizing orchids for few years. Collecting unusual plants.
I learned about grafting mainly atemoya and my first scions I got it from flying fox.com about three years ago. I tried citric fruits, but not too successful.
Currently, I have
Atemoya: African pride (two types?), Geftner, Lisa, phet pakChong, Mr minh (Vietnamese like), two other types not sure the name
Guava: Thai seedless
Mango: glen
Lychee: sweetheart, emperal, marritus
Cherimoya: El bumpo
Sapodilla: hayas, Makok, silawoods, Venezuela, Alamo, Moreno, Molix.
Citric plants: plumelo, kishu, Meiwa kumquats, lemon, lime, mandarinquat
Papaya: dwarf ? Name
Jujubes: sugar cane, honey jar, GA866, Thai milk-jujube
Soursop
June plum
Miracle fruits
Jaboticaba: red, black
I am still learning, and continue to learn from the masters.

Lionking

• Covina, Ca. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: March 21, 2018, 05:12:20 PM »
Hello everyone,

My name is Gabe.  I live in Covina, Ca.  Zone 10b.
I just recently started to go organic and thought I'd try my luck in growing
My own tropical fruits, as well as citrus fruits.
I have always enjoyed seeing my father with his green thumb grow anything and everything he tried.  That turned on a light in me.  I figured if he can do it ,  so can i...lol. 
So far,  my citrus trees are doing great (Myers, bears, Mexican lemon, and satsuma).  Also currently growing Eureka lemon, And an Orange trees from seed. 
I also have a Keit mango, A Asian variety, not sure of what kind,  and currently germinating a Kent seed.
I found this site because I would like to get deeper into tropical fruit growing as well as grafting. 
I know there is a lot to learn on the subject and I'm sure I have came to the right place to start my learning.
In my opinion,  I think learning from people who have first hand knowledge and experience is the best.
I look forward to learning from you all.

I have also had lots of luck with

EndUser

• USA, Florida, Palm Beach, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: March 26, 2018, 07:58:02 PM »
Hi everyone, Iím Abu Isa, transplanted from the north to Palm Beach.  Iím a dad, husband, physician, first time homeowner, and hoping to be a mango farmer (in my backyard), just as my dad was back in the old country.  Now that I can finally plant my very own mango trees, Iím looking forward to learning a lot from, and contributing to, this forum. I do what I can to minimize my carbon footprint. Iím a fan of renewable energy, enjoy driving my Tesla, and have an interest in tech, science, and sci-fi. On any given weekend youíre likely to find me with my family at Lion Country Safari, Palm Beach Zoo, LegoLand, or Kennedy Space Center, or exploring farms from Palm Beach to Homestead. Future hobbies Iíd like to learn- farming, fishing, boating. Cheers  ;D

Aaron Le

• HCM
    • View Profile
    • www.lavite.com.vn
« Reply #1443 on: April 16, 2018, 12:50:20 AM »
Hi there,

This is Aaron from Vietnam. It is great to receive helpful information around the world.

By the way, I am selling semi-dried dragon - no sugar - no preservatives. My website is https://lavite.com.vn/. there are lots of information you can find there.

If you are distributors looking for diversifying your category, please email me at toan.leduc96@gmail.com for more detail.

Many thanks guys

voyager

• Pahoa, HI - USDA 12a/12b
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Photo Gallery - Alaska - Hawai'i & Elsewhere
« Reply #1444 on: April 16, 2018, 09:21:22 PM »
After over 30 yeas in Alaska I decided I needed a  change of climate.
My old bones were not dealing well with winters anymore.
So, we moved to Hawai'i, and have been on Big Island for over 4 years now.

There were a few fruit trees on the property when we bought.
I have put in many more new trees:
Bananas, tall and dwarf Brazilians, and ice creams, ended up digging the ice creams out because we didn't like them, love the Apple bananas though.
Tangerines, Honey and Satsuma. Turns out there was already a Honey tangerine here, plus what I think may be a Fremont tangerine.
I'm having problems with the Honeys.
I'll be asking questions about them later.

Put in a Biew Kiew Longan, a Lychee and a Rambutan.
The Rambutan died and the Lychee looks to be failing.
he Longan is doing quite well, hoping for fruit in the next season or two.

There was a Sharwil Avo here already.
I added a  Lamb-Hass and an Ota.
All three produced fruit to maturity last season for, the first time.
The Lamb-Hass is now ripening its first season's fruit with next season's crop having begun to grow already.
I chose the avo cultivars because they should give us tree ripe avos 6 to 9 months out of the year.
All three are having some problems that I'll be asking about also.
I'm thinking about adding a Yamagata avo.
That should give us tree ripe avos for almost the full year.

I also put in a Jaboticaba, and am impatiently waiting for its first fruit.
I've put in a few pineapple patches around the yard, mixed white and yellow types.
We had homegrown pineapples last year with a few now beginning to form for the coming season.

A Lilikoi was already here and has been a prolific producer.
An orange tree was already in also.
It turned out to be a Valencia, terrible peeling and eating but a delicious juice orange.
I added a Tahitian Lime last summer, impatiently waiting for its first fruit too.

A Kaffir Lime in a pot that came with the property, it got planted.
Its leaves are being used for cooking.
No fruit yet but I am curious to see them when they arrive.
Finally, a couple of Lemon trees were  here, a dwarf Meyer and what I think is a Eureka.
There'll be a few questions about them also.

I think that's about all we've got for now.
There are a few more I'd like to put in if I can find a place for them.

EDIT:
I forgot, I've also put in a couple of dwarf Solo Papayas.
I planted the 15" seedlings just over a year ago.
They are now about 4 to 5' tall.
One has developed the round type fruit, while the other is carrying a more elongated fruit.
They are self fertile, and developing fast.
From the size of their first fruit they should begin ripening in a very few months.

I had tried a couple of Strawberry Papayas 3 to 4 years ago.
They were about 8' tall when they set their first fruit.
The fruit had no seeds in them, and did not taste very good.
I dug them up

« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 04:55:43 PM by voyager »

JandJPalms

• Kilauea, Kauai HI Z11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: June 04, 2018, 01:04:25 AM »
Hello All - I'm brand new to the tropics, moved recently to north shore Kauai from Oregon.  Originally from Alaska, I've been gradually moving farther south.  I'm very excited about growing tropical fruits, and would like to grow some garcinias and eugenias, among others - the more exotic, the better!  I recently purchased 2 achachariu seedlings from Steve Starnes on the Big Island, and would like to find out if anyone on Kauai sells rare/exotic seedlings or seeds.  I'm really INTO seeds, and have been ordering from a variety of mainland companies (a bunch from Tradewinds Fruit), with mixed germination results.  Currently I'm trying to germinate about 60 Syzigium aqueum (pink) seeds which were kindly given to me by a Big Island grower.  They have not yet sprouted but I'm hopeful!

wilka

• Suriname Paramaribo
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: June 18, 2018, 01:14:16 PM »
Hello folks my name is Edmundo. I am an organic farmer in Suriname (South America) who loves eating fruits. The sweet ones :D :D

BW

• USA, Ga/Fla, 7b/8b-9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: June 29, 2018, 09:16:58 AM »
Just wanted to introduce myself to what appears to be a very knowledgable group.  I currently live in NW Georgia where I have an orchard and vegetable garden.  The fruits I currently have growing are: Apple, pear, figs, Asian plum, European plum, persimmon, grapes, peach, and blueberry. 

My wife's family is from Florida and they have gotten me interested in tropical fruits.

I look forward to to learning a lot.

BW

AloeThere

• N FT MYERS
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: July 02, 2018, 10:11:50 AM »
Aloe There - Live in Southwest Florida and trying to grow some fruit trees.  My main obsession are mangoes - collecting and learning about the various varieties.  Looking forward to learning new info on growing.

-AT   

bartekbolk

• Warsaw
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rehalab.com.pl/firma/gabinet-stomatologiczny-kolodziejczykowie.html
« Reply #1449 on: July 05, 2018, 06:45:38 AM »
Hey I am Bartek from Poland ;)

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers