Author Topic: Farewell to the King  (Read 4529 times)

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Farewell to the King
« on: July 16, 2012, 08:52:09 PM »
After about 5 years in the ground, and 3 very disappointing fruiting seasons, I just couldn't take it anymore.  The King had failed me. 

I purchased this tree from Pine Island as a 15 gallon tree, nice and full, well branched and in overall very good condition.  I carefully planted it in a prime location.   No chance of flooding, fed it the right stuff, gave it micro's and potassium, tipped it, sprayed for PM and athracnose.  After all, this was the King, and I wanted to see what he would give me in return for all of my hard work, care,  and dedication.

Well, what I was rewarded with was 3 seasons of Sub -Par, spongy seeded drupes.  All 3 seasons they have been amongst the worst. 

So today I have moved on, and the king is no more. He met the Axe, or should I say a hand saw.   What stands in his place is a 4 foot stump, with the promise of future greatness. 

So now the question is ..  What should I top work onto this fabulous trunk?

Alphonso Mango Tree before

After

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Farewell to the King
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 08:55:31 PM »
RIP.... my condolences  :'(
Tim

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 09:00:14 PM »
Is this one your looking to turn into another multi-grafted tree or just 1 variety?

Hollywood

• Zone 10a - Stuart, FL
    • USA, Stuart, FL 33020, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 09:37:31 PM »
Aww, that's kind of sad, but on the other hand it's a new beginning(s). Do you have Khun See? Pina Colada? Lemon Zest?  ;)

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 09:38:24 PM »
That sucks. :( Are the broken tiles and other clay debris suppose to add some sort of nutrient to the soil? Just curious.
Alexi

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 09:54:49 PM »
Is this one your looking to turn into another multi-grafted tree or just 1 variety?

I plan on multi grafting it ... Maybe 4 or 5 varieties ..

Aww, that's kind of sad, but on the other hand it's a new beginning(s). Do you have Khun See? Pina Colada? Lemon Zest?  ;)

LOL :)  Yeah, a new opportunity for sure.  Maybe some of the new Zill stuff that I don't have ..

That sucks. :( Are the broken tiles and other clay debris suppose to add some sort of nutrient to the soil? Just curious.

Not really, sort of happenstance with the tile, granite and such  ... My Dog decided to try and Dig a hole to China  a few feet in front of the tree.  He dug up a bunch of things, tile, marble , posts, etc..  My daughter turned the hole into a sort of exaction treasure site, then abandoned the dig after she realized there was no pirate treasure there.... Some of the debris wound up near the trunk, which has actually helped serve as a barrier preventing ( I hope) my dig crazy dog from uprooting the tree.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 10:19:36 PM »
Replace him with the Queen - Kesar! I was quite impressed with mine. Little 3 gallon tree pooped out 2 fruits. Had one and it was extremely delicious. No fungus issues to report.
Jeff  :-)

Seadation

• USA, Miami, Fl, 33176 Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 10:56:19 PM »
Thanks for the invite today had a great time.  The Mallika we had today was amazing it was by far the best mango I've had all year and possibly ever. I'm looking forward to see how your new project turns out it will be fun to follow along and see the end result.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 11:11:49 PM »
I have had a couple of Alphonso this year for the first time...fruit was outstanding.  One thing I will say is that the tree they came off of did not produce a lot of fruit.
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 04:49:31 AM »
After about 5 years in the ground, and 3 very disappointing fruiting seasons, I just couldn't take it anymore.  The King had failed me. 

I purchased this tree from Pine Island as a 15 gallon tree, nice and full, well branched and in overall very good condition.  I carefully planted it in a prime location.   No chance of flooding, fed it the right stuff, gave it micro's and potassium, tipped it, sprayed for PM and athracnose.  After all, this was the King, and I wanted to see what he would give me in return for all of my hard work, care,  and dedication.

Well, what I was rewarded with was 3 seasons of Sub -Par, spongy seeded drupes.  All 3 seasons they have been amongst the worst. 

So today I have moved on, and the king is no more. He met the Axe, or should I say a hand saw.   What stands in his place is a 4 foot stump, with the promise of future greatness. 

Not all kings are created equal. I really wouldn't make any generalizations based on sample data of just ONE tree. Like i've pointed out in another thread there can be big differences even within supposedly clonal material. Right now, for example, i have one rapoza tree that has lots of fruit on it, and the other had none. Both are planted on same farm, same soil, same treatment. So which one of these 2 should i generalize from as to their regular yield?
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2012, 12:04:33 AM »
Glenn , southern blush, keitt, rosigold...

try to make a cocktail mango tree with a 6 month season of mango production
mango

After

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2012, 03:32:52 AM »
Sleepdoc condolences on the passing.I am sure you and that tree went through alot together.It still may be able to support your gardening aspirations in a different way.A haleys comet and cosmic charlie would gratefully be more than social climbers in that spot.