Author Topic: Temperature Question  (Read 4157 times)

cyclonenat

• New Zealand, Invercargill/ 9810/ 9 a and b
    • View Profile
Temperature Question
« on: July 18, 2012, 12:18:23 AM »
Will tropicals germinate at 15 C?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Temperature Question
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 12:20:29 AM »
Most of them not very well, and if they do will take a lot longer than normal. But if you said what tropicals you are planning on germinating then can get into more specifics.
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 12:22:33 AM »
i don't think mango will.  not sure about others thiugh
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

cyclonenat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 12:23:18 AM »
mango
rambutan that had already got 2 wee leaves
cacao
salak
and some others

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 12:30:13 AM »
mango
cacao
salak
and some others

Mango: possible but very slow and risks disease. The others should all get at least 24C, and much more preferrable would be 29C. These are daytime temperatures. You can knock night time temperatures a few degrees.

For the centigrade illiterate like me 15C = 59F
                                                    19C = 66F
                                                     24C = 75F
                                                     29C = 84F
Oscar

cyclonenat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 12:34:14 AM »
these seeds were thanks to gouarlata, the temperature could be warmer in the hot water cupboard but it will be dark the cacao already has root nubs,

the other seeds are pouteria camito, diospyros digyna, salacca wallichiana, rollinia deliciosa, averrhoa carambola and nephelium lappaceum

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 12:37:37 AM »
these seeds were thanks to gouarlata, the temperature could be warmer in the hot water cupboard but it will be dark the cacao already has root nubs,

the other seeds are pouteria camito, diospyros digyna, salacca wallichiana, rollinia deliciosa, averrhoa carambola and nephelium lappaceum

You should use a heat mat for bottom heat for all of those, otherwise you risk low germination and infant mortality.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 12:46:44 AM »
Cyclonenat almost yes for all but only by a feather if day temps can get to maybe 18c rather than a constant 15c day and night.At 15c their lives will be brief and uneventful.14c min to 20c max then all will survive if not too wet and germinate over a prolonged period.I have germinated those species many times and nearly all of them at the start of winter during the coolest times and monitored their progress.I have seeds of those in outside pots right now.When I have sent those species seeds to Brisbane they have germinated in cooler winter temps outside and in greenhouses with only some casualties at below 10c.All would prefer 27c to 34c with humidity at saturation level which is normal summer temps.There is a variety of tolerances as well.

cyclonenat

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 12:53:57 AM »
thanks mike should i put them in the hot water cupboard to germinate (in a zip lock bag) and then transfer them to laundry when they root? or should i try germinate them straight where they will be growing in soil? the laundry gets quite warm because the dryer is going quite often, thanks everyone for the help

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 12:54:32 AM »
wow mango possible?

what's the conversion to Ferheniet?

mango
cacao
salak
and some others

Mango: possible but very slow and risks disease. The others should all get at least 24C, and much more preferrable would be 29C. These are daytime temperatures. You can knock night time temperatures a few degrees.

For the centigrade illiterate like me 15C = 59F
                                                    19C = 66F
                                                     24C = 75F
                                                     29C = 84F
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

cyclonenat

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2012, 01:00:08 AM »
15 C is 59F

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2012, 01:15:11 AM »
The sala S.w. types handle cold better than rakum and sagum S.w types at germination with sala moh and sala sane being pretty cold tolerant CV's.All black sapotes will laugh at those temps, as will rollinia and carambola.Abiu and especially rambutan seeds are more sooky about those temps but 15 to 20c they should just pull through or at least some will.Rongrien enjoys cold more than others but jitlee and binjai would probably pass away quicky at 15c or even 18c.

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2012, 01:22:22 AM »
Cyclonenat almost yes for all but only by a feather if day temps can get to maybe 18c rather than a constant 15c day and night.At 15c their lives will be brief and uneventful.14c min to 20c max then all will survive if not too wet and germinate over a prolonged period.I have germinated those species many times and nearly all of them at the start of winter during the coolest times and monitored their progress.I have seeds of those in outside pots right now.When I have sent those species seeds to Brisbane they have germinated in cooler winter temps outside and in greenhouses with only some casualties at below 10c.All would prefer 27c to 34c with humidity at saturation level which is normal summer temps.There is a variety of tolerances as well.

Yes Nat, I am one of the recipients of Mike's enormous generosity. My Rambutans germinated in weather similar to that unprotected outside, and most have survived down to 3c without protection, especially the yellows. Black Sapote, Starfruit, Abiu and Rollinia should give decent results in that temp, but will look a bit sad until it warms up. I've had 100% success with soursop recently where night temps were around 10c and daytime max around 20c.

cyclonenat

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2012, 07:58:37 PM »
I am so stressing about the temperature i dont want to stuff up with the generosity of everyone here, its starting to warm up because some of my other plants are starting to bud up so hopefully the moisture and temperature wont make the seeds rot? Thanks for the info everyone

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk