Author Topic: Tasting (and attempting to grow) ximenia americana  (Read 753 times)

Stomata

• Sarasota Florida. 9b
    • View Profile
Tasting (and attempting to grow) ximenia americana
« on: October 30, 2022, 09:58:11 PM »
Found some actually tasty ones of these yellow fruits in the woods two days ago.  They can be fairly astringent until very ripe and jelly textured. Citrus/mango notes. Anyone ever experiment with these? Trying to grow them? Im collecting seed and going to attempt germination again.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: Tasting (and attempting to grow) ximenia americana
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2022, 10:11:10 PM »
You made me realize that there are multiple fruits called "hog plum".  I heard hog plum was good and ordered a jocote/spondias purpurea.  It looks like ximenia americana is also "hog plum" even though they are a different botanical Order. 

I'm not a big fan of jelly texture, though, is this like passionfruit jelly?  Like the inside of cattley guavas?

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2022, 01:48:00 AM »
You reminded me of finding this fruit tree just off the beach, a bit North of Cairns Australia.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2022, 10:10:28 PM »
I just eat a few every now and then in the woods. The seed kernels make awesome mini torches, too. They have so much oil that they burn for several minutes once they are lit on fire.

Rex Begonias

• USA, FL/Brevard, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2022, 11:44:51 PM »
Are these fruiting right now?  I will have to go check the trails and see.  I have tried some before and sorta meh, if I remember right acidic and astringent.  Always chance I got at poor level of ripeness tho, gotta try again.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2022, 07:28:40 PM »
Are these fruiting right now?  I will have to go check the trails and see.  I have tried some before and sorta meh, if I remember right acidic and astringent.  Always chance I got at poor level of ripeness tho, gotta try again.

Your taste description sounds fairly typical to me. This is a little late for when I remember eating them before.

drymifolia

• Seattle 9a/sunset zone 5
    • View Profile
    • the drymifolia collective
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2022, 07:49:19 PM »
The native range of this species is pretty amazing... how the heck can something have such worldwide distribution? Do the seeds in the fruit survive long periods floating in saltwater or something?

Gulfcoastgardening

• Largo, FL, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2022, 08:44:36 PM »
Just ate some the other day in Pinellas, I planted some seeds but no luck so far, I've heard they parasitize nearby plants and that's why they aren't oft-cultivated. (Plus the spines, and average taste)