Author Topic: Melon varieties for Florida  (Read 745 times)

DavidBYE

• USA, Florida, Jacksonville, Zone 9a
    • View Profile
Melon varieties for Florida
« on: December 22, 2023, 10:54:16 PM »
Hello, anyone have good success with melons in FL? I have had good production from squash (Seminole pumpkins and Sikil) but melons have been a challenge. Tried to land race melons this year with no luck. I get vines and flowers but few fruits and they don't want to fully develop. Looking for a bullet proof FL melon. Any suggestions on varieties that would thrive in 9a? Thanks!

Stomata

• Sarasota Florida. 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Melon varieties for Florida
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2024, 08:42:40 PM »
Watermelons are pretty easy. Started working on my own landscape of them last year. I grew strawberry, blacktail mtn and sugar baby. Lots of soil fertility recommended, lots of compost, mounds are helpful, not too much overhead water if possible.

Pokeweed

• Houston TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2024, 07:39:24 AM »
Semoinole pumpkins are native/adapted to Florida. You should be able to find seed. D

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2024, 12:21:13 PM »
I don't think melons will ever be as easy as Seminole Pumpkin unless you are growing the Citron Melon. I find them growing wild in old orange groves and pastures all the time. Although many internet sources say that it is inedible or even poisonous it was brought for use as a candied/pickled fruit (similar to pickled watermelon rind). Its not something you eat as a fresh fruit. It hybridizes easily with watermelon. For fresh fruit, water melons are probably the best bet. They are highly resistant to pickle worms and typically only get damaged if they are grown with other curcubits that the worms can propagate on. Crimson Sweet is the one all the old timers talk about.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2024, 12:23:57 PM »
Semoinole pumpkins are native/adapted to Florida. You should be able to find seed. D

I have been surprised how sweet some Seminole Pumpkins are. I saved seeds of one in particular that was as sweet as a store bought cantaloupe--just with a different flavor and a crunchy texture.

Pokeweed

• Houston TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2024, 09:23:44 AM »
Interesting about the citron melons. They have grown wild on our place befote. I'll paymore attention to them now. D

DavidBYE

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2024, 12:32:50 AM »
Thanks! I do grow Seminole pumpkin. Heavy production last year and sweet also. Looks like I will add watermelons. Have yet to find any other melons that produce well... From what I am reading, other melons will require weekly spraying to get them to maturity. That is to much for me, don't need more things to baby. LOL!!!

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2024, 09:31:14 AM »
Even though I am not in Florida, because my greenhouse mimics your climate I use the UF/IFAS website a LOT. Heaps of great information.  Maybe reach out to them...

Carolyn

DavidBYE

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2024, 09:49:11 AM »
Thanks Carolyn! I am doubling down on watermelon this year. I will do some more research. Maybe I will find a melon that is low maintenance.  :)