Author Topic: Charichuela  (Read 12607 times)

lkailburn

• USA, Fort Collins, Co, Zone 4b/5a
    • View Profile
Re: Charichuela
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2012, 07:56:11 AM »
Wow great description. I'd be interested in seed, or possibly even a whole fruit to taste if you'd ship :-)

-Luke

BENDERSGROVE

• BENDER'S TROPICAL GROVE
    • USA, Davie, FL 33331, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2012, 08:32:31 AM »
I will be happy to provide seeds,fruit,bud wood to all as they become available.i replanted these in 25 gal pots since the 15 gal pots they came in we're in rough shape,question I have is what is the cold tolerance for this so we can keep them protected indoors when necessary? Thanks mike P.S. the reason these were sold to me is, the owner of these is being forced to sell their home due to ever increasing out of control insurance premiums, people on fixed incomes here in Florida are being priced out of there homes, that is truly sad.

ericalynne

• United States of America, Florida, Venus, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2012, 07:52:55 PM »
I have a charichuela tree grown from fruit from Bill Whitman's tree. It flowers profusely but has never set fruit. It is in a pot; must be 8 years old or so. Now that I am in zone 9b, it stays in the greenhouse, which is heated if the outside temp is forecast for less than mid-30s F. The first year I had it in the greenhouse I neglected to turn on the heater just one night when it was about 32F and the upper branches, closest to the top of the greenhouse got killed, but the rest of the tree was fine and it has recovered fully. So, yes it does need protection from near freezing temps.

Erica

victory

• Victory
  • Growing fruits, herbs, and vegetables since 1991.
    • Ft. Lauderdale, Florida Zone 10B warm microclimate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2012, 07:40:23 PM »
I would be very interested as well for seeds, fruit, or budwood! I purchased some plants from South Miami some years ago. I currently have 2 left. They were crushed when a large tree limb fell in a storm :(. I also have two achachairu, one of them a grafted variety. I don't know if they would work as well.

Recher

• 2221 dunoon rd dorroughby
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2012, 10:09:35 AM »
oscar--Must be the same taxonomical genius that lumped all rollinia genus into annonas. Another big mistake as the flowers of rollinia are totally different than Annonas.

These idiots have decided genetics is the end all and be all of taxonomy w/o taking into account morphology. The most egregious is lumping Planchonella into Pouteria. Example Planchonella australis seed looks nothing like a Pouteria seed and has much more affinity with a sapodilla seed.

They also lumped Michelia into magnolia in spite of the fact Magnolia flowers are terminal and Michelia lateral.

i doubt a single Rollina spp. could be hybridized with any Annona. I refuse to acccept these changes.

Visually with some exception one can tell a Garcinia from a Rheedia, but the I wouldn't recognize G. livingstonei as either :)
Wealth is being able to afford principle

Memory is responsible for the illusion of linear time

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2012, 11:16:49 AM »
Recher I think you will find native pouteria and planchonella deserve merging.Genera can have quite a bit of diversity even in seed shape or external flower parts.There is some reajustments and lumping to rectify excessive splitting in horticultural species when they were split on features that did not reflect genetic relatedness.Taxonomists are getting more sophisticated and going back to original definitions of species and genus to 'fix' things up.It is most inconvenient with fruiting plants when we are used to names and much of it seems counter intuitive.

Recher

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2012, 12:41:23 PM »
Yes maybe NATIVE Pouteria should become Planchonella but no way native Planchonella should become Pouteria as is the case.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2012, 01:16:59 AM »
oscar--Must be the same taxonomical genius that lumped all rollinia genus into annonas. Another big mistake as the flowers of rollinia are totally different than Annonas.

These idiots have decided genetics is the end all and be all of taxonomy w/o taking into account morphology. The most egregious is lumping Planchonella into Pouteria. Example Planchonella australis seed looks nothing like a Pouteria seed and has much more affinity with a sapodilla seed.

They also lumped Michelia into magnolia in spite of the fact Magnolia flowers are terminal and Michelia lateral.

i doubt a single Rollina spp. could be hybridized with any Annona. I refuse to acccept these changes.

Visually with some exception one can tell a Garcinia from a Rheedia, but the I wouldn't recognize G. livingstonei as either :)

Imbe (G. livingstoneii) flowers definitely look like garcinias. True the plant itself is bizarre looking. Nothing like any othe garcinia or rheedia.
Oscar

Recher

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2012, 08:10:15 AM »
 :) yea i was thinking leaf morphology...do you think you could correctly separate 87% of garcinia from rheedia by leaf / branch / tree morphology or am i kidding myself?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk