Author Topic: What is the best longan?  (Read 32669 times)

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
Re: Longans - Sri Chompoo or Biew Kiew?
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2012, 07:25:05 PM »
Thanks Oscar, BMC and Dave.

I just spoke with a couple of local growers about these varieties.  One  guy said that Chompoo is even sweeter than Biew Kiew.  The other guy said Biew Kiew is a more consistent producer in Southwest Florida.

So perhaps Biew Kiew will be the one.

Brad
Brad

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2012, 07:48:55 PM »
what about fortune eye?

frankie sells it and Toppy says it's the best...the trees I saw were absolutely loaded with fruits and only about 12ft tall...very ball like shape to the tree
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
Biew Kiew vs Kohala Longan
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2012, 09:06:37 PM »
I'm thinking about buying a longan tree and I'm undecided between Biew Kiew and Kohala. I've read that both are top tier, but I would like to know which one is the best. Besides flavor and overall fruit quality, I would like to know their growth behavior. Does one grow quicker or get larger than the other? 
Also, does longan like sandy soil?

Thank you,
Alexi

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2012, 09:21:30 PM »
Adam - where did you see the Fortune Eye tree?

Brad
Brad

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2012, 09:37:09 PM »
toppys got em! just saw em last week
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Biew Kiew vs Kohala Longan
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2012, 01:29:56 AM »
I'm thinking about buying a longan tree and I'm undecided between Biew Kiew and Kohala. I've read that both are top tier, but I would like to know which one is the best. Besides flavor and overall fruit quality, I would like to know their growth behavior. Does one grow quicker or get larger than the other? 
Also, does longan like sandy soil?

Thank you,

Kohala is a very upright tree and eventually can get giant sized. It has good tasting fruit but seed size is quite large. Kohala is considered better for sub tropics and Biew Kiew better for tropics. Kohala originates from northern part of this island, but almost never produces fruit here.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2012, 01:59:35 AM »
what about fortune eye?

frankie sells it and Toppy says it's the best...the trees I saw were absolutely loaded with fruits and only about 12ft tall...very ball like shape to the tree

Don't have that one. Fortune Eye is a very old Chinese cultivar for which someone has translated the original Chinese name... original name is Fuyan. It's supposed to be late bearing:
http://books.google.com/books?id=49PB5MhHqkcC&pg=PA73&lpg=PA73&dq=fortune+eye+longan&source=bl&ots=caQeJCArse&sig=dYgxKaYF7l01bYw03FtrlxMZRBE&hl=en&sa=X&ei=YmThT8yFL6SQ2gWn8rm-Cw&ved=0CE4Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=fortune%20eye%20longan&f=false
Oscar

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
Re: What is the best longan?
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2012, 12:21:39 PM »
Thanks for your input guys.  I ended up picking up a Biew Kiew tree.

Brad
Brad

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2012, 05:12:07 PM »
I also reckon they are the 2 best common varieties with biew kiew a feather better in taste.

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2012, 07:13:17 PM »
There are a few tropical fruit growers in Bokeelia, pine island with whom
I spoke and they both said that Sri chompoo was very sweet
Almost too sweet. One of the guys said that biew kiew produces
Better than chompoo in this area. 
I ended up finding a large tree at treehouse nursery which was maybe
6 feet tall and 4 yrs old for $50.

Brad

morris4000

• USA, Orlando, FL 32801 Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Favorite Longan variety?
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2013, 06:42:58 PM »
Only 3 choices to choose from
Fortune eye
Biew kiew
Sri chompoo

Which one and why?

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
Re: Favorite Longan variety?
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2013, 06:56:58 PM »
Can't comment on Fortune Eye, but you can't go wrong with either of the other two.  They are large fruited, with excellent flavor and sweetness.  They are both productive trees.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2013, 06:59:57 PM »
anything but that awful BQ.

I'd take Kohala over BQ.

LOL just kidding...I had to do that..u know why.. ;D

Diamond river was a real disappointment to me though.

I've tasted BQ and C shampoo, they both taste way better to me than Kohala...much like a red fleshed pitaya tastes better than the store bought white fleshed ones.  I remember them having a nice flavor (aftertaste, aroma, what have you) that the Kohalas don't seem to match...although it's probably just a matter of opinion...Kohala is an excellent fruit, that's hard to beat.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2013, 07:00:05 PM »
While we're on the subject of longans -- how did your longans fare compared to your lychee trees after wilma slammed into your property? Were they uprooted?

Can't comment on Fortune Eye, but you can't go wrong with either of the other two.  They are large fruited, with excellent flavor and sweetness.  They are both productive trees.
Jeff  :-)

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2013, 07:01:38 PM »
That's pretty much how I feel. BQ == super yummy, Kohala == pretty stinkin good, and diamond river == poopy in some years, decent in others. Haven't had sea shampoo yet.

anything but that awful BQ.

I'd take Kohala over BQ.

LOL just kidding...I had to do that..u know why.. ;D

Diamond river was a real disappointment to me though.

I've tasted BQ and C shampoo, they both taste way better to me than Kohala...much like a red fleshed pitaya tastes better than the store bought white fleshed ones.  I remember them having a nice flavor (aftertaste, aroma, what have you) that the Kohalas don't seem to match...although it's probably just a matter of opinion...Kohala is an excellent fruit, that's hard to beat.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2013, 07:21:58 PM »
Don't be dumb...get Bai Dum. That's my new favorite, but may be just this year it tastes extra good, and also 6 months earlier than usual. Biew Kiew is the commercially favored variety.
Oscar

morris4000

• USA, Orlando, FL 32801 Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2013, 07:52:41 PM »
Great info guys!  Goin with biew kiew fo sho

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2013, 09:06:23 PM »
While we're on the subject of longans -- how did your longans fare compared to your lychee trees after wilma slammed into your property? Were they uprooted?
Most of my longans suffered only minor damage with Wilma. Most damaged was Daigelman.  My seedling of Kohala was actually the only one that was knocked down.  Go figure that the seedling would be more likely to uproot than the air-layered trees.  I lost an entire Bengal Lychee.  Several were knocked over and had to up righted but the largest of my lychee trees, Brewster, was one of the least affected trees in my yard.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

roboto212

• Pahoa, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2013, 01:10:23 AM »
Ive had both Sri Chompoo and BQ and like them both, but Sri Chompoo is way better IMO... alot sweeter, if I remember correctly it has a bit more flesh than BQ... but they are always way sweeter than BQ

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2013, 10:44:02 AM »
OK. Thanks for the info.

I've noted that air layered lychees and longans both have more aggressive rootsystems than seedlings. It does sound odd, but I think layering those is the better way to go.

Most of my longans suffered only minor damage with Wilma. Most damaged was Daigelman.  My seedling of Kohala was actually the only one that was knocked down.  Go figure that the seedling would be more likely to uproot than the air-layered trees.  I lost an entire Bengal Lychee.  Several were knocked over and had to up righted but the largest of my lychee trees, Brewster, was one of the least affected trees in my yard.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2013, 04:05:47 PM »
OK. Thanks for the info.

I've noted that air layered lychees and longans both have more aggressive rootsystems than seedlings. It does sound odd, but I think layering those is the better way to go.

Seedling trees would produce a tap root, air layers don't. But air layers may produce better laterals without the tap root. So in very shallow Florida soils maybe that is an advantage?
Oscar

ofdsurfer

• Melbourne Beach FL 32951 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2013, 04:18:21 PM »
Could having a high water table make having a taproot useless?  I wonder it the air layer roots make it as deep as a taproot with a five foot water table?  If so they would be stronger because they also have a wider spreading base.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2013, 05:10:28 PM »
That's probably part of it. Also, unless you're using a 3 foot deep container, the tap root will hit the bottom and start to curl within a month or two of sprouting. So, the vast majority of trees planted out don't really have an effective tap root. You'd almost have to do in-situ planting to get a full taproot.

OK. Thanks for the info.

Seedling trees would produce a tap root, air layers don't. But air layers may produce better laterals without the tap root. So in very shallow Florida soils maybe that is an advantage?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2013, 06:01:47 PM »
Within a month or two of sprouting? ??? Lychee doesn't grow so fast as you think. That amount of time in a pot would be no problem at all for the tap root.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2013, 07:16:38 PM »
I have been eating chompoo,biew kiew and kohala this week and have some experience in eating longans.I have consistently found biew kiew to be larger,fleshier and have a better taste than the other leading varieties.It is also the latest fruiting and farmers in this neck of the woods often ask for a higher price for biew kiews

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk