Author Topic: Perfect Rootstock for Mandarins - Effects of Lemon Interstock on Mandarins  (Read 7609 times)

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect Rootstock for Mandarins
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2018, 04:04:44 PM »
I appreciate the information and discussion.

After putting in those many hours, I was  feeling rash considering going out and getting different rootstock and doing it all over again.

Having read some of the posts though, I'm inclined to hold off and see what happens. Appreciate any and all advice and perspectives.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 04:18:21 PM by CA Hockey »

Samodelkin

• Simferopol 7b
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect Rootstock for Mandarins
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2018, 04:06:35 PM »
Interstock of red orange, tarokko for example has a positive effect on the color of red varieties of citrus fruits

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 04:57:30 PM by Millet »

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
This link might answer the question.

http://fshs.org/proceedings-o/1968-vol-81/90-94%20(GARDNER).pdf

Thanks. I have a giant Gold Nugget coming soon, will do multi graft mandarins on it when it arrives. the ones already done on Pink Eureka will be used for testing I guess. If anything, I believe Kishu that is too sweet may pickup some acidity :)

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
I spoke to Rock at UCR Collection center. He said that rootstock can have impact but its not always bad impact, it could be other way too. he recommended using mandarin interstock to avoid speculation if you want to maintain mandarin taste, while lemons on lemon interstock.

it means now kishu will have some complexity of pink eureka! that would be wonderful

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
I finally grafted
Sumo Shiranui Mandarin, Kishu, Frost Owari Satsuma, Okitsu Wase Satsuma, Kinnow mansarin, Xie Shan Satsuma, Australian Red Finger Lime, Pixie. I did budgraft and cleft on each of these varieties. I want to see how both do and will post compared results here.

how do most your folks graft? bud graft OR scion on branch?

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
I still like to do bud grafts to spread out all the buds. Oh the other hand, one of my shiranui stick grafts with 2 buds on it last year grew fast and made a fruit at the end of 2 ft of growth. It is starting to turn orange and is huge compared to the Page mandarins from the rootstock.

I can't remember all I have this year but there's Xie Shan, Buddha hand, Vanaiglia S__ acidless orange, pineapple.
Last year was shiranui, pixie, ponkan.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
Have you done multiple varieties of bud grafts on single tree? how did you force the growth? Intent is to make cocktail tree.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
I do only bud grafts.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
I do only bud grafts.

so have do done any bud graft cocktail or multiple varieties on single plant? how do you force them to grow?

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
There are several ways to force them:
1. cut the branch above the bud
2. bend the apical growth above the graft to below the bud, cutting it a little may be necessary to bend. Secure it in that position
3. tip the plant so that the apical growth is lower than the bud. Basically turn the pot sideways
4. score the branch a little ways above the graft so that the growth inhibiting hormone from the apical growth won't suppress the bud from growing. I haven't had success with this so next time I'll cut deeper and wider, maybe in an arc above the bud.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
Here is my creation. Let's see what happens now. I will need pros help in forcing buds to grow after they heal.

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
I’ve tried cutting the branch and scoring.

I’d say cutting the branch works fastest . Scoring works slowest but still works (that’s what I did on my cocktail).  it may take a few seasons of pruning to direct the bud growth out of the shadow of the inter stock branch. My ma N problem is vigor of some branches like shiranui which grow very quickly and some of the other mandarins on ththe cocktail which don’t grow as fast. In pruning back the shiranui, it has created a more robust fuller branch while the minimally pruned ones don’t quite balance yet

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Maintaining the growth balance in a cocktail tree is the main problem with them.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
Maintaining the growth balance in a cocktail tree is the main problem with them.

Agreed. in CA most grow vigorously, so it is essential to keep in check and if majority on cocktail is vigorous, you remove the non vigorous. try pairing same growth habit ones together.