Author Topic: when to plant perennials that broke dormancy?  (Read 2005 times)

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
when to plant perennials that broke dormancy?
« on: March 30, 2018, 02:43:27 PM »
I recently purchased a tiny Hardy Fig tree from a nursery, along with a dozen or so berry shrubs.  Some of these had already broke dormancy and are starting to push out leaf growth.  However, we haven't reached the last frost date yet in my area, and it will likely dip into the high 20sF some nights over the next week or two.  These plants are all rated to -10F or worse, but that assumes they are fully dormant.   What should I do with them in their current state?  Are they likely to survive a frost unscathed?  Or will the new growth die off?   I haven't planted them yet, they are still in containers.  I could leave them in my garage until frost risk is over, or leave them outside in the sun and bring them in on freezing nights. 

Suggestions?

Btw these are goji, currants, gooseberries, elderberries, etc.

Jct

• Zone 10b
    • San Diego
    • View Profile
Re: when to plant perennials that broke dormancy?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 06:35:19 PM »
Keep them in the garage until the frost danger has past, particularly the figs.  While Chicago Hardy figs can withstand some cold temps, they are better at it when they have achieved some size.  If they are leafing out, setting them out in the sun during the day (as long as not freezing) would be good for them.  In the dark garage they could get leggy as they strive to find some light.
LaVerne Manila Mango; Pixie Crunch, Honeycrisp & Gala Apple Trees; Violette De Bordeaux & Black Mission Fig; Santa Rosa Plum & Snow Queen Nectarine; Nagami Kumquat, Pixie Tangerine, Lemon, Australian Finger Lime & Washington Navel Citrus; White & Red Dragon Fruit; Miracle Berry Plant

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 09:54:52 PM »
Thanks.  I have been keeping them in a sunny window for now.  I'll plant them in-ground after last frost date

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 04:28:05 PM »
If you must keep indoors, Walmart sells a grow light in the lighting section for $20.  Works wonders to keep them out of darkness when protected from weather conditions.