Author Topic: ID request - mystery trees  (Read 1297 times)

luckycloud

• zone 7B (NC)
    • View Profile
ID request - mystery trees
« on: April 13, 2018, 09:10:10 PM »
Hopefully someone here loves a mystery to solve. I got some citrus in 10.5" pots for cheap from someone who had bought a small greenhouse and then closed it. They didn't know what things were and the citrus looked like it had mostly died back to rootstocks and then was allowed to grow out considerably. Loving a mystery myself, and since they cost nothing ($10 for the lot), l grabbed 'em hoping to figure out what they all were. I'd love to use them to practice grafting if none of them are desirable for growing out. Care to guess?

1. Growing from below the graft. Small leaves, short internodes, many many short, straight thorns. Attractive small bushy tree. Feel like this one has to be identifiable.

2.Can't see a graft line here, but this is growing from very close to the soil line. Large petioles. Was growing in the same pot as #1, which was a graft (?!)

3. Also growing from close to soil line, but can't see a graft. Possible that the graft was above, where it has been cut. Narrow, long leaves. Not much petiole to speak of but more than, say, a meyer lemon. Leaves orange scented.

4. This one appears to maybe be growing from below a graft, there is a slight bulge in the trunk above. Completely thornless. Petioles are moderately long but not winged. Leaves lemon scented.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 05:40:56 PM by luckycloud »

luckycloud

• zone 7B (NC)
    • View Profile
Re: ID request - mystery trees
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 07:17:29 AM »
Update: #1 and 2 have mild non-distinctive scent. #3 leaves smell distinctly orange-like. #4 leaves definitely smell like lemon.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 07:58:12 AM by luckycloud »

JJROSS54

• San Tan Valley, AZ 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2018, 08:16:31 AM »
Hmmm, well  here is my best guess,
#1  looks like some variety of orange, maybe sour orange if you think its coming from the rootstock
#2 is grapefruit, Pummelo or some variation of that.
# 3 and 4 is probably a lemon... no petole on the leaf.

Lets see what others think, this may be an interesting exercise...
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 08:02:09 PM by JJROSS54 »

luckycloud

• zone 7B (NC)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2018, 05:42:48 PM »
Added some more info to the original post. Thanks, JJROSS54 for weighting in! I personally love a mystery so hope that others find it interesting as well. Sure, the only way to really tell will be if/when they fruit. They are on sturdy trunks with many apparent years on them, so hopefully I won't have to wait forever.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 05:45:02 PM by luckycloud »