Author Topic: My yard: Work in Progress  (Read 3748 times)

zephian

• USA, CA, Yuba City Zone 9B
    • View Profile
My yard: Work in Progress
« on: April 23, 2018, 11:58:52 AM »
Just a few images of my back yard and some plants to go in. Will also be removing the red plum, palm tree and possibly the Hachiya persimmon and cherry (Bing) in the next year or two.
From left to right trees are - Banana(Unsure of what type, blooms but never fruits) Naval Orange, Meyer Lemon, Pomello, behind it is pluot, Hachiya Persimmon, behind is bing cherry (planted in 94, starting to die out) then fuyu persimmon.

In pots: Holiday, Hass avocado. Manila Mango, 2x blueberry (one pink lemonade, forgot the other variety)Mexican Key lime, Wonderful pomegranate, white strawberry, bubble strawberry, edulis passiflora, goji berry.

-Kris

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: My yard: Work in Progress
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 02:21:06 PM »
Looks very nice.  I have an in-ground orchard with cherries, stone fruit, & apples that have been quite productive, and this year I've just tried placing some goji berries, currants, gooseberries, and elderberries in the woodsy area in my back yard.   I'm hoping they can tolerate the part shade from nearby trees.

zephian

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 02:27:55 PM »
I'm going to keep my goji berries in pots for now, eventually we are going to redo our front yard and remove most if not all of the lawn and add more useful trees/bushes. Hopefully nothing that will be stolen frequently but some less obvious berries. I have some miracle fruit seeds on order too, hopefully those grow well!
-Kris

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 02:56:23 PM »
I have an 85 foot row which is half red currents and half gooseberries.  I just leave them for the birds to eat.  They eat them all.

zephian

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 03:32:47 PM »
Birds and squirrels are a huge issue where I'm at. During persimmon season I usually leave some high up and they generally leave the larger, tastier fruits alone.
Do you not care for the taste of your berries or where they planted with the birds in mind?
-Kris

z_willus_d

• US, CA, Roseville, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 03:35:31 PM »
Hi Zephian, looks like you're on your way to your own personal Eden there.  Your avocados appear healthier than do mine.  I believe with all the rain over the past several weeks, my seedlings that were outdoors took up too much water.  The grow medium I have them is is heavy in peat and coco-hulls.  I see drooping leaves that leads to dropping leaves.  In some cases, all leaves were dropped, though the leaves seemed otherwise healthy.  In short, be careful with the watering and retention in the pot for the young avocado trees.  Good luck with all the planting.  Now is the time!

zephian

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 03:41:47 PM »
Hi Zephian, looks like you're on your way to your own personal Eden there.  Your avocados appear healthier than do mine.  I believe with all the rain over the past several weeks, my seedlings that were outdoors took up too much water.  The grow medium I have them is is heavy in peat and coco-hulls.  I see drooping leaves that leads to dropping leaves.  In some cases, all leaves were dropped, though the leaves seemed otherwise healthy.  In short, be careful with the watering and retention in the pot for the young avocado trees.  Good luck with all the planting.  Now is the time!
I still need to transplant my hass to a bigger pot but for my holiday i lined the pot with rocks (and added some holes) then mixed some potting soil + Worm castings + cactus mix soil. Soil seems to stay moist with watering only every few days but never soggy. Hopefully the forecast clears up though because I'm tired of lugging them in and out every couple of days right now! haha.
-Kris

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2018, 10:19:21 AM »
I was warned that animals will eat all the berries I've planted, but I am mostly doing this as an experiment to see if I can get any fruit to grow in the woods.   If the berry plants fruit I may try netting them to save the harvest.   For now I am just watching to see how they grow.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2018, 05:33:48 PM »
Putting rocks in the bottom of a container for better drainage was more or less common.  However, it is now known that doing so is not a good idea. This is because  it raises the perched water table higher up into the growing area of the container.

zephian

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2018, 06:17:29 PM »
Putting rocks in the bottom of a container for better drainage was more or less common.  However, it is now known that doing so is not a good idea. This is because  it raises the perched water table higher up into the growing area of the container.
It's worked well for me in the past. I don't do a heavy layer - Just enough to cover the holes and keep the soil and organic material from clogging it up. Usually less than an inch around the holes in the container (I don't line the whole bottom)
-Kris

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2018, 10:32:57 PM »
Zephian, a broken shard of a terracotta container placed over the hole works well.