Author Topic: Rio Red blooming after winter defoliation.  (Read 2210 times)

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
Rio Red blooming after winter defoliation.
« on: April 30, 2018, 08:14:32 PM »
My big Rio Red grapefruit is blooming like mad even on wood that lost leaves after hard freeze in greenhouse this winter. The small space heater in it's greenhouse didn't prevent the water barrel inside from freezing the week of January it didn't get above freezing. The tree partially defoliated. Branches that lost leaves but not wood are covered in small flower buds. Parts of tree that didn't defoliate have older more developed flowers.

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
Re: Rio Red blooming after winter defoliation.
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 08:20:23 PM »

The light green foliage is new growth from defoliated branches.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 09:23:14 PM »
Good for you and the tree.

Heinrich

• Bavaria, zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 06:19:46 AM »
A very beautiful tree. Do you regard "Rio Red Grapefruit" as a cold hardy citrus? What temperatures did it endure?

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 09:45:58 PM »
To answer previous question, I don't think any citrus where I live is very cold hardy after loosing almost all my trifoliate and Ichang hybrids this year. This Grapefruit and my satsumas and meiwa and Croxton survive winter here only because they are covered in 4 mil plastic and have space heaters controlled by thermo cubes inside their enclosures. The coldest temperature I know this Rio Red survived without space heater ( I forgot to plug it in) was a 19 degree night under it's plastic dome. It mostly defoliated that year, several years ago, and didn't bloom that spring. Another reason I'm surprised it's blooming so well now. The lowest temp I recorded this winter was 8 degrees F on 1/2/18, and it didn't get above freezing the first 7 days of January.