Author Topic: Can durian grow in Hawaii Acres?  (Read 4489 times)

turaco

• usa, wa
    • View Profile
Can durian grow in Hawaii Acres?
« on: May 04, 2018, 01:41:40 PM »
Does anyone know if durian can be grow in Hawaiian Acres, Big Island?  It's elevation is 650' to 1350', rain fall about 160 in per year.  I hope to move to the big island within the next two years.  My passion is to grow tropical fruit trees, especially durian.  Any pointer about good area to grow durian in the Big Island is greatly appreciated.

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
Re: Can durian grow in Hawaii Acres?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 04:23:03 PM »
I'd watch the news right now first. Leilani Estates and one more subdisvision is being evacuated for lava flow risk.

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 05:34:42 PM »
I don't think durian can grow in molten lava....

As someone living on another volcanic island, my heart goes out to them.  :(

ED: Sorry, your timing is bad, but your question still deserves a response.  Durio zibethinus is native to 0-800m in Malaysia and prefers daytime temperatures between 22° and 40°C, tolerating 12-45°C, and ideally prefers 1500-2500mm, tolerating 1,200 - 3,500mm.  Your precipitation is 4000mm, so it's higher than it would really like - but better to be too high than too low. Your average January low (not daily high) is 15,2°C, and your average July high is 25,8°C.  So on the cooler side of what they'd prefer, but not dramatically so. Growth reportedly ceases when daytime temperatures are below 22°C.  They prefer acid soil.

I'm pretty sure Oscar grows at least one Durio species on the big island, but I'm sure he's a bit busy right now...
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 09:01:35 PM by KarenRei »
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

turaco

• usa, wa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 06:14:00 PM »
Thanks for your reply.  I have seen a durian tree at a house in Leilani Estates about 2 years ago.  My heart goes out for those affected.  That is the reason I am looking at Hawaiian Acres or HPP for my next home as they are in Lava Zone 3 area.  Hoping that the land there is suitable to grow durian.

PahoaJo

• Big Island, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2018, 08:21:35 PM »
Yes, it can.  I work at a nursery in Kurtistown and they have durian.  I think the better question is in regards to quality of durian and pollination issues.  It was a bumper durian crop this year on the Big Island.

turaco

• usa, wa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2018, 09:40:05 AM »
Thanks KarenRei and PahoaJo for your response.   PahoaJo, Do they sell durian from seed or grafted?  I hope to find Musang King Durian at the big island nursery when I move there.

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2018, 12:31:09 PM »
Haven’t heard of musang king here...  though at hilo farmers market the Filipino vendor tried to con me into buying a monthong and pass off as musang king.  If u want to learn about durian stuffs in Hawaii join the durio growers of Hawaii fb page.

And no I didn’t lunch the vendor out.  The nerve of him to lie

PahoaJo

• Big Island, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2018, 02:35:37 PM »
We don't currently sell the trees, we just have some growing.  Like palologrower said, join the durian group and Hawaii Tropical Fruit Growers group on Facebook and you'll get way more local insider information about what is available to grow here.

turaco

• usa, wa
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2018, 08:30:51 PM »
Thanks so much for the information palologrower and PahoaJo.  I will join the durian group and Hawaii Tropical Fruit Growers group on Facebook.  I really appreciate your help!

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2018, 09:06:54 PM »
David Frenz at Birds n' Buds claimed to have Musang King  (I picked one up from him).

John

durianwriter

• on the durian hunt
    • View Profile
    • Year of the Durian
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2018, 10:52:48 PM »
Hey Turaco!

Many people have success growing durian on the Big Island and people are trying all over! I've actually heard of others growing durian in Hawaiian Acres as a backyard tree.

I'm linking a hand out I made for the Plant It Aloha class I led last November. Hopefully you find it useful!

Here's the link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzIH_o2AxTQMmpoSVJrWjhNYTBZUEhYc2d2Nlo2RmIyVkp3/view?usp=sharing

As mentioned your rainfall is higher than durians *LOVE* but still okay. I think you have all the conditions for durian to survive, but I'm not sure how much fruit it will bear. It's really about whether or not you get any dry spells of more than 3 weeks so the durians get stressed enough to flower. Consistent rain and they won't flower and won't make fruit and then you just have a beautiful tree. It's worth a shot though!

Also watch out cuz volcanic soil usually needs some amendments for durians to flower and be happy. I think (and you guys who are real agriculturalists can double check this) that volcanic soils are usually low in magnesium, and since Durios are native to granite soils with lots of agate, they need magnesium amendments to flower properly. Just some thoughts! 

www.yearofthedurian.com
Author of:
The Durian Tourist's Guide to Penang
The Durian Tourist's Guide to Thailand

MangoCountry

• Southeast Florida 10a/b
    • View Profile

durianwriter

• on the durian hunt
    • View Profile
    • Year of the Durian
www.yearofthedurian.com
Author of:

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2018, 06:36:29 AM »
Does anyone know if durian can be grow in Hawaiian Acres, Big Island?  It's elevation is 650' to 1350', rain fall about 160 in per year.  I hope to move to the big island within the next two years.  My passion is to grow tropical fruit trees, especially durian.  Any pointer about good area to grow durian in the Big Island is greatly appreciated.
Yes durian will grow in Hawaiian Acres. I know somebody there at 1000 ft. elevation growing them. However, the lower the elevation the better they will do, meaning more fruits. They like it hot, and the higher up you go the cooler it gets.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2018, 06:38:25 AM »
I'd watch the news right now first. Leilani Estates and one more subdisvision is being evacuated for lava flow risk.
Hawaiian Acres is not in the east rift zone, meaning it would not be in danger of lava flow from Kilauea volcano.
Oscar

turaco

• usa, wa
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2018, 12:49:05 AM »
Thanks to Lyndsey, fruitlovers, John, Oscar, and MangoCountry for your information.  I gather  that HPP or Orchidland will be better to grow durian compare to Hawaii Acres due to lower elevation.  I've visited a musang king durian farm in Malaysia last month and really impressed with the fruit's flavor.  I'm glad that Musang King durian is available on the Big Island.  Hope to move to the big island by early next year and start my tropical fruit orchard dream.  I've learned a lot from you here.  Thanks so much everyone! 

durianwriter

• on the durian hunt
    • View Profile
    • Year of the Durian
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2018, 06:24:02 AM »
Pleasure, Turaco! I'm just glad to be  back on the forum after locking myself out forever, haha.
www.yearofthedurian.com
Author of:

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2018, 06:50:04 AM »
I think (and you guys who are real agriculturalists can double check this) that volcanic soils are usually low in magnesium, and since Durios are native to granite soils with lots of agate, they need magnesium amendments to flower properly. Just some thoughts!

Weird - maybe that only applies to tropical volcanic soils?  My basaltic soil is crazy-rich in magnesium.  It's phosphorus, nitrogen, and some micros that I'm deficient in.  Parts of my land are at under 5ppm phosphorus, and look like a desert as a result.  I plan to spread some MAP or DAP this year, then it should really bloom.
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk