Author Topic: spaugh Hero Member great guy.  (Read 5332 times)

travalon

• Phoenix, Az
    • View Profile
spaugh Hero Member great guy.
« on: May 08, 2018, 12:46:34 PM »
For the record spaugh
Hero Member is a great honest guy to so business with. Quick to respond and fulfill agreements. Went above and beyond what I expected.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
Re: spaugh Hero Member great guy.
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 10:07:27 AM »
Yep, great guy.  Have you seen his op?  Holy cow!  http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=24594.50

owenismo

• Los Angeles CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 03:01:34 PM »
Oh Spaugh is definitely a great guy. I ordered some dragon fruit cuttings from him and some of them got damaged from USPS. He offered to replace them for me free of charge when I make my next order. He is also full of useful information. Very helpful and informative. Stand up guy.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 10:15:52 PM »
Hey I try and be an honest guy.  Thanks for the compliments.  I'm surprised they smashed up cuttings from here to LA.  I always try and pack them well.  I may start packing them in larger boxes with lots of bubble wrap so they can't get smashed.

My mother plants are in the greenhouse also.  I have a 15 gal plant of each type in my greenhouse.  The ones outside are not where I take cuttings from.  I haven't posted any photos of the mom plants. 

I am in the process of getting my farm/nursery up an running commerically.  I have the URL paragontropicals.com which will get setup later this year.  And I will be getting a CA nursery license and certified grower farmer market cert soon.  All this stuff takes a lot of time to get off the ground.  This is not a fly by night operation, I am working to build something here that can be passed on to my kids.
Brad Spaugh

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2018, 07:58:22 AM »
I mailed 2 large, thick pitaya cuttings in a USPS small flat rate box to a fella with no padding.  Made it there in perfect condition.  Box never gets crushed.  That's the box I always use for plant material mailings like scions.

Hey I try and be an honest guy.  Thanks for the compliments.  I'm surprised they smashed up cuttings from here to LA.  I always try and pack them well.  I may start packing them in larger boxes with lots of bubble wrap so they can't get smashed.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2018, 10:40:10 AM »
The DF cuttings I send definitely won't fit in small flat rate boxes. 
Brad Spaugh

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2018, 01:44:56 PM »
I mailed 2 large, thick pitaya cuttings in a USPS small flat rate box to a fella with no padding.  Made it there in perfect condition.  Box never gets crushed.  That's the box I always use for plant material mailings like scions.

I had Simon send me cuttings via Priority Mail, guess what I got empty box with tape on it. I do know Simon did not send me empty box for sure. LOL

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2018, 03:21:18 PM »
I've had good luck with priority mail t-shirt boxes for DF. The adhesive seems strong. The box itself would break first. First class package is cheaper (for less than 13oz) but is more work to put together and wait in line at the PO to send.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2018, 03:54:48 PM »
I use the medium or large flat rate boxes and put the cuttings in smaller boxes inside those boxes.  I try and put cuttings that are the length of the box.  12-18 inches.  If I put them in without wrapping in extra layer of cardboard the spikes poke through the box.  Some tyes are worse than others.  I try and send the fattest cuttings with most girth and age.  They do not fit in a small box and if they did, the postal workers would be getting stabbed.  Maybe Simons plants were poking through.  You should let him know if that was recently behl.  I can send them for you if you still need some.  I see Simon occasionally and work on plant stuff with him.  One of us can resend.

Brad

Brad Spaugh

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2018, 11:52:31 AM »
I think something fishy was going on with that order Behl, maybe it got inspected and the inspectors didn’t close it back up good enough? They were free scions I sent and I even covered postage but I’m very upset at the postal service because they were the coveted Leo Hybrid #3 scions that we’re lost. Behl, I’ll have more scions next season.

Simon

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2018, 08:20:55 AM »
The DF cuttings I send definitely won't fit in small flat rate boxes.

Got a 12" cutting and a shorty in it.  They and some seedlings/scions came in a medium box.

heavenly

• USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2018, 06:54:07 PM »
I agree, he went beyond what I expected for my order. Thank you.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2018, 08:06:13 AM »
Healthy Pinkerton grafts pushing Brad.    I grafted to green shoots pushing from a Waldin rootstock.  This beautiful, bearing cocktail tree of Ardith, Holiday,  Sir Prize and Pinkerton froze so I'm starting over.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2018, 08:14:23 AM »
I had Simon send me cuttings via Priority Mail, guess what I got empty box with tape on it. I do know Simon did not send me empty box for sure. LOL

Totally irresponsible, unaccountable worthless bunch of asshats.  If I could count on one hand all the problems I've had with the USPS.  I've had important Humana Pharmacy meds get side tracked to other states for 3 weeks, a box of California avocados were sent via New Jersery before Xmas during a hard freeze,  received other's mail and had mine lost resulting in crap like a delinquent insurance payment...I could go on and on.  They just don't care.  Like all govt. employees ya can't fire the bastards! 

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2018, 08:28:33 AM »
A lot of people work for the government--including the military, the FBI, local law enforcement, fire rescue and emergency services, etc., etc.  I would imagine their incompetence, irresponsibility, or dishonesty if found reflect the general population.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 12:08:30 PM by johnb51 »
John

zephian

• USA, CA, Yuba City Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2018, 09:42:30 AM »

Totally irresponsible, unaccountable worthless bunch of asshats.  If I could count on one hand all the problems I've had with the USPS.  I've had important Humana Pharmacy meds get side tracked to other states for 3 weeks, a box of California avocados were sent via New Jersery before Xmas during a hard freeze,  received other's mail and had mine lost resulting in crap like a delinquent insurance payment...I could go on and on.  They just don't care.  Like all govt. employees ya can't fire the bastards!
I feel attacked. Lol. I do IT for department of transportation.
-Kris

zephian

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2018, 11:48:25 AM »
A lot of people work for the government--including the military, the FBI, local law enforcement, fire rescue and emergency services, etc., etc.  I would imagine their incompetence, irresponsibility, and dishonesty when found reflect the general population.
Not to derail the conversation further but this is very true. We are just in the public eye more so than private organizations so it's noticed more frequently. Lazy, ignorant people will always be there. Regardless of who they represent.

-And I get paid less than in a private organization :(
-Kris

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2018, 12:07:43 PM »
So....   How about those avocados?!
Brad Spaugh

zephian

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2018, 01:00:06 PM »
I really want to know how your lilikoi is coming along XD
My edulis is FINALLY putting on some growth after planting it outside. only a few inches, but ill take it!
-Kris

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2018, 03:06:05 PM »

I am going to nominate you for the Nobel Peace prize. You deserve it more than Obama and Trump if he gets one for North Korea. Here is how to nominate Spaugh.
https://www.nobelprize.org/nomination/peace/index.html

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2018, 03:07:12 PM »
Good news and bad news.  Its still alive, but a rabbit chewed the crap out of it.  Like all the leaves got taken off and Im not sure if it will make a comeback because its on a shady spot.  I may have to dig it out of the ground and move into the full sun to get it to go again.
Brad Spaugh

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2018, 08:23:33 AM »
I feel attacked. Lol. I do IT for department of transportation.

I retired from local govt. employment, 27 years worth.  Place was nothing but a good ol boy corrupt network......incompetent south Texas politics at work which has bankrupted the city I left.

Good news and bad news.  Its still alive, but a rabbit chewed the crap out of it.  Like all the leaves got taken off and Im not sure if it will make a comeback because its on a shady spot.  I may have to dig it out of the ground and move into the full sun to get it to go again.

Brad, I have jack rabbits all over the place.  For some strange reason they leave everything I cherish alone.  Now, porcupine (and squirrel) is a different matter. They're not only bad on curious dogs but will eat the bark off a tree.  Last week my heeler decided to chomp down on one.  i pulled the longer quills out of her throat and tongue but the vet had to put her asleep and get the rest.  We were a nervous wreck.  Dog is fine.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2018, 09:38:05 AM »
Wow, poor dog. 

Stupid rabbits chew all my good stuff.  Had a jack rabbit eating plumerias behind my house yesterday.  Had one chew a nice mango tree in half a week ago.  They are trying to get the water out of the plants since it never rains here.  They eat my succulents too.  I used to keep the 410 handy.  But kept missing squirrels and rabbits.  So now I keep a 12ga handy.  Shot a big one that was eating plumerias yesterday.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 09:40:14 AM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2018, 11:59:59 AM »
Wow, poor dog. 

Stupid rabbits chew all my good stuff.  Had a jack rabbit eating plumerias behind my house yesterday.  Had one chew a nice mango tree in half a week ago.  They are trying to get the water out of the plants since it never rains here.  They eat my succulents too.  I used to keep the 410 handy.  But kept missing squirrels and rabbits.  So now I keep a 12ga handy.  Shot a big one that was eating plumerias yesterday.

Pest control is one of the most unpleasant things we do.   I hate trapping raccoons and shooting them. It's a hassle, hard on the varmints, and I have to dump the carcass away from the dog or she'll drag in "a gift" the next day.  :D  Some vineyard operators have excellent control with 2 strains of a hot wire place about a foot or so apart, one higher than the other.  I have high tensile high/deer fence but varmints crawl under.

They love irrigation pipe too. Nothing like finding geysers in the morning after the rabbits gnawed on them.

You could always wrap your trees with plastic grape grow tubes.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2018, 12:25:16 PM »
I have started putting a chicken wire wrap around the small tree trunks.  Especially mango and anything that is harder to grow and $$$.  My fence keeps the rabbits out 99% of the time but somehow every once in a while we get a Houdini that finds a way in.  Jack rabbits seem to be esepecially destructive.  Something chewed the crap out of some poly tubing and some industrial hoses a while back.  It wasnt a rabbit.  Either or coyote or a mountain lion.  It looked like it chewed right through a heavy duty garden hose in 1 bite.  Now anything outside my fence, I just dig a trench and use PVC and bury it.  Animals suck, ants suck, aphids suck, gophers suck....
Brad Spaugh