Author Topic: Questions about fruiting plants for New England  (Read 2144 times)

willpollinateforfood

• United States, Connecticut, USDA hardiness zone 6
    • View Profile
Questions about fruiting plants for New England
« on: May 12, 2018, 11:59:40 PM »
Hi everyone,
I have a few questions:
1. Are Aronia melanocarpa (black chokeberry) fruits juicy or hard?
2. Are prunus virginiana (chokecherry) fruits juicy or hard?
I am trying to identify what the "chokecherries" were from my childhood that my grandpa showed to me in Vermont. (not elderberries).

3. What do red goji berries taste like fresh? are they sweet and fruity or savory? Has anyone grown them in zone 6a winters outside?
4. Sweet goumi berries - Elaeagnus multiflora - has anyone tasted them, good or gross?
5. Maypop vines, passiflora incarnata, do they become weedy invasive type vines that are hard to control? Do they spread by suckers?
6. Lastly, hardy kiwis, has anyone tasted them from their garden, do they have any acidity? I had them from the store, no acidity at all:( I also have not planted any yet because I heard they can become very large, invasive vines. Thank you in advance!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 03:14:17 PM by willpollinateforfood »

scottsurf

• san diego
    • View Profile
Re: Fruiting trees/shrubs for zone 6a
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 01:19:41 AM »
 goji berries dont really taste good or bad for me there more of a health thing. i like goumi there sweet and tart get the named variety though

Florian

• Solothurn, Switzerland.
    • View Profile
Re: Fruiting trees/shrubs for zone 6a
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2018, 01:14:29 PM »
There are cultivars of goji that are sweet(ish) when fresh.

Zpusher

• DFW z8
    • View Profile
Re: Questions about fruiting plants for New England
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2018, 06:36:29 PM »
For me they tasted like fruity tomatoes, not entirely bad. I agree with scottsurf more of a health thing
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 06:39:00 PM by Zpusher »

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
Re: Questions about fruiting plants for New England
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 01:00:12 PM »
Regarding maypop vines -
There’s a whole thread here about them I’m pretty wild about them. Who couldn’t love a temperate passion fruit?!?
However, they definitely spread and I suppose you could say would be invasive. They will come up all over the place, and, I’m finding after a few years of having some, they may not “stay” where you plant them.
That is, it might not come up from the original planting site in the spring. It might choose somewhere else to “pop” up.
But I adore the fruits, the flowers are stunning and fragrant.