Author Topic: More HLB In California  (Read 4000 times)

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
More HLB In California
« on: May 24, 2018, 12:19:25 PM »
The number of HLB detections in Orange County is booming. So far, more than 330 total trees have been confirmed to be infected by HLB, making Orange County the highest concentration of cases thus far in California. By comparison, over 230 trees have been confirmed in Los Angeles County

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
Re: More HLB In California
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2018, 12:53:50 PM »
This is really terrible news and the beginning of the end of California citrus.

luak

• U.S, Arkansas, Eureka Springs,Z7.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2018, 08:25:52 PM »
Can HLB spread to northern states like Arkansas for example, if not, would it be wise to get fancy sionwood now while it is still available. patent tree's are still not available to out of state people, California has a few.

So_Cal_Mike

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2018, 02:06:16 AM »
There was someone on the growing fruit forum from West Virginia, that posted in a “what’s this bug” thread. It was without a doubt Asian Citrus Psyllid. He had his citrus trees indoors for the winter and had no idea how he got them.
So the insect that carries HLB is definitely getting around.  :-\
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 02:08:04 AM by So_Cal_Mike »
[size=85]Sunset Zone: 21 • USDA Zone: 10a • AHS Heat Zone: 6-7[/size]

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 10:55:08 PM »
More than 100 Asian Citrus Psyllids recently found in San Obispo county California so far this year. County officials say the psyllids were brought in by people buying citrus from out of the county.

countryboy1981

• 8B Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 11:03:07 PM »
Without a cure, California is in trouble as far as citrus goes due to the lack of freezing winters combined with the frequency if planted citrus trees.  The only thing they can do is delay it, hopefullt a cure is found soon.

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 01:31:59 AM »
The agricultural department came last week and used 3 different chemicals on my 8 citrus plants to control CP.
Those chemicals only last a year so I'll be expecting them every year. Not Good!

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2018, 01:35:41 PM »
The agricultural department came last week and used 3 different chemicals on my 8 citrus plants to control CP.
Those chemicals only last a year so I'll be expecting them every year. Not Good!
I heard they (state or county?) banned CDFA from applying pesticides for home gardens in HLB areas (due to complaints), which would allow HLB to spread without check. You're saying that didn't happen and you have first hand experience. That's good to know.

So_Cal_Mike

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2018, 10:07:50 PM »
They are welcome to come and spray my trees for asian citrus psylid any time they like.
[size=85]Sunset Zone: 21 • USDA Zone: 10a • AHS Heat Zone: 6-7[/size]

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2018, 02:21:14 AM »
Yes how do I sign up? You weren’t in trouble with them were you?

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2018, 10:33:35 AM »
This article describes how rootstocks that are part or fully citron seem to survive HLB:

https://fshs.org/proceedings-x/2016-vol-129/FSHS_Vol_129/99-107.pdf

I'm curious if anyone has tried this out combining a few of the things we discuss on this board -- growing citron type rootstocks from seed and approach grafting to create a multi-rootstock tree and then grafting various citrus on it.

This seems to be a source for various rootstock seed, but they only sell in bulk:

http://lyncitrusseed.com/rootstock-seed/

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2018, 01:33:05 PM »
I did not sign up. They passed out flyers a few days before they came. I did not get in trouble for that many citrus.

My friend in Westminster, city next to my city, had his citrus treated a few months ago. Rumor is that there will be a 2nd treatment after 3 months initial treatment. Just a rumor for now.

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2018, 11:33:28 PM »
A UCR Entomologist (Mark Hoddle) recently told the Foothill CRFG that the CDFA has recently stopped spraying in residential areas (OC, LA)...because of its observed effectiveness and because of resistance from people.  He also said that UCR has finished its Southern California campaign of releasing "CA adapted" Tamarixia.  UCR is now considering releasing Tamarixia in the Central Valley as a preventative measure.  I vaguely recall that tamarixia's flying/spreading range was under 20 miles.

In summary, for the southern CA folks, there is almost nothing we can do now.  UCR does not sell Tamarixia to the public (nor anyone).   Hoddle said he believed the focus will shift to genetically developing HLB resistant citrus.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 11:43:06 PM by wslau »
Warren

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2018, 03:06:42 PM »
Sounds like hoddie is giving in to the inevitable.