Author Topic: Syzygium bud to flower time  (Read 1392 times)

shafak

• India, Chennai 13°N 80°E Köppen: Aw Elevation 6 m (20 ft)
    • View Profile
Syzygium bud to flower time
« on: May 26, 2018, 03:43:24 PM »
How long does it take for buds of Syzygium species to bloom?  My tree has produced quite a few buds about a month ago.  None of them have flowered yet.  :'(

shafak

• View Profile
Re: Syzygium bud to flower time
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 10:08:39 AM »
Today, all the buds opened.  Feeling happy.  What type of pollination do these flower need?  Also, how long for the fruit to mature once formed?

mangaba

• Brazil,Pernambuco,Recife
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2018, 06:11:39 PM »
You did not specify the syzygium you have but, it looks to be Syzygium cumini (Eugenia jambolam) native to India. It will fruit in 2-3 months This variety is invasive in many parts of the world, inclusive in northeast Brazil. Fruits are pink, sweet and tasty. In Goa they make wine of the fruits.  Consumption of fruits  and seeds in powder form has been shown  to lower blood glucose levels but it cannot be used to treat diabetes as the problem of standardization has not been worked yet.

shafak

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2018, 06:59:28 PM »
I did not specify the syzygium as I myself am not sure of it's variety.  I had posted on this forum about it's ID, http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=28263.msg321079 but the replies are still inconclusive.  I will post again in 2-3 months when the fruit forms.  Please see that thread and let me know if you can positively ID the specie.  Thank you.

You did not specify the syzygium you have but, it looks to be Syzygium cumini (Eugenia jambolam) native to India. It will fruit in 2-3 months This variety is invasive in many parts of the world, inclusive in northeast Brazil. Fruits are pink, sweet and tasty. In Goa they make wine of the fruits.  Consumption of fruits  and seeds in powder form has been shown  to lower blood glucose levels but it cannot be used to treat diabetes as the problem of standardization has not been worked yet.

Mango Stein

• Zone 7a
    • Schengen frontier
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2018, 10:40:52 PM »
A lot of people dismiss this genus altogether, but I think Syz does matter.
Eugenia luschnathiana = CURUIRI.    Talisia esculenta = PITOMBA
I do not recommend people deal with Fruit Lovers, Prisca Mariya or Fernando Malpartida

shafak

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2018, 03:29:58 AM »
Update

Some newly formed fruits.

When to know it's ready for picking?

Rannman

• Dragonfruit collector
    • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2018, 03:52:48 AM »