Author Topic: Disease resistance citrus?  (Read 1424 times)

Doug

• Turrialba Costa Rica
    • View Profile
Disease resistance citrus?
« on: June 06, 2018, 06:21:19 PM »
I am growing a number of varieties of citrus here in this very wet climate, and I'm noticing that different types have different resistance to fungus. With the oranges the worst by far is Washington Navel. Valencia is next along with Malaguena. Pina and Temple seem to be somewhat better. Dancy and Clementine Tangerines are pretty good, but Orlando Tangelo seems to have problem. The grapefruits seem to take care of themselves.

The best citrus trees I have are the Ortantique. There is very little evidence of fungal problems, or, for that matter, is there a problem with the black bees which do a number on the orange trees.

I don't like to spray, even with soap and H2O2 (I'm a lazy retiree, gacias adios). I would be interested in others' experiences here.

Yorgos

• USA, Houston, Texas USDA zone 9a
    • View Profile
Re: Disease resistance citrus?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 01:59:14 PM »
What are black bees? Are you referring to carpenter bees?  If so they don't bore into live wood so shouldn't be a problem. If it's mason bees, they are excellent pollinators for all sorts of plants, even if the citrus really don't need to be pollinated.
Near NRG Stadium, Houston Texas. USDA zone 9a

Doug

• Turrialba Costa Rica
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 10:46:19 AM »
No, they're not carpenter bees. These "black bees" (abejas negras) here are much smaller. I don't kill them because they are very good pollinators for all my other fruit trees, but they really can take over orange trees and eat all of the new growth leaves. As they say, they're a "mixed blessing". LOL

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2018, 04:05:05 PM »
if you want to get rid of ants use vinegar around the tree, they hate it.