Author Topic: Squam - Tropical Acres Farms Order Review  (Read 3863 times)

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Squam - Tropical Acres Farms Order Review
« on: June 08, 2018, 05:49:26 PM »
Hey All

Just finished off a custom variety box of early variety mangoes from Squam/Alex.   The Glenns, Duncans & PPK's stole the show.  Angie, Rosigold & Dupuis Saigon didn't appeal to to my palate, but your mileage may vary.  Avoid the temptation of eating them a day early and you'll be rewarded with a much better eating experience.  Once again thanks Alex for being a wealth of information & providing a valuable resource we can all enjoy.  Keep up the good work sir.

1. PPK'S (8.0 to 8.25) - If you eat them a day early they're a pleasantly tart & lemony (8.0).  Give them just an extra day & they take on an even better orangey sweeter flavor (8.25).  Wait an extra day for fully ripe - it's worth it.  Excellent Mango that anyone could like.  Not the perfect "10" that some people describe, but still VERY good.  Met expectations.

2. Glenns (8.25) - Great breakfast mango.  Still the #1 best heavenly smelling Mango I know of even before you cut into it. First one I ate I didn't let it fully ripen & it was a bit watery & diluted tasting as other people have mentioned about Glenns.  The other one I gave an extra couple of extra days & it was one of the best mild tasting Mango's I've ever had.  It was like a really good juicy garden fresh refreshing ice cold cantaloupe.  Strong pleasant cantaloupe flavor.  Glenn exceeded my expectations.

3. Duncan (8.0) - What a delightful mango.  Very smooth, juicy & refreshing.  Very enjoyable eating experience & under rated/taken for granted Mango.  Smooth & slightly creamy like it Edward ancestor, with a hint of Asian flavor that wasn't objectionable for those who don't care for most "one note" Asian type Mango (like me). Duncan also exceeded my expectations.

All three of these varieties were top tier & I would highly recommend & are deserving of yard space.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 09:52:34 PM by nighthawk0911@yahoo.com »
Blessed be the man who plants a tree knowing he will never live to enjoy it's fruit or shade.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Squam - Tropical Acres Farms Order Review
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 07:22:48 PM »
Many early season mangoes have been bland this year. Rosigold can be really good, and Angie can easily best a carrie -- and many other mangoes -- or it can be bland. I would hold any opinions in abeyance until you get to sample a representative specimen of both.

Surprised that your duncan was good. Those are normally bland early season.
Jeff  :-)

paulmctigue

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 10:16:27 AM »
A lot of my early mangos were bland, but the last week and a half they have been great!

561MangoFanatic

• Loxahatchee, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2018, 12:09:27 PM »
Many early season mangoes have been bland this year. Rosigold can be really good, and Angie can easily best a carrie -- and many other mangoes -- or it can be bland. I would hold any opinions in abeyance until you get to sample a representative specimen of both.

Surprised that your duncan was good. Those are normally bland early season.

The really early(before all these recent rains really started) Duncans, Edwards,a Simmonds, & a Rosigold I had from Alex were really flavorful and surprised me how much Punch they packed for being so early. I thought they were way better than some regular season mangos of the same varieties!!
Sergio

Alex21686

• Brookfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2018, 07:03:29 PM »
Didn't think this warranted another thread so I'll just add to this thread: I've ordered two custom boxes from Squam and Tropical Acres.  I've lived in the northeast all my life (currently CT but DC and NYC in the past) and have only had access to the following mangoes - Ataulfo, Kent, Keitt, and Tommy Atkins.  Kent is the only one I eat that I consistently enjoy...Ataulfo is almost always overripe when I see them at Costco.  Hope you all know how good you have it when it comes to mangoes down there!  I have now tried: PPK, NDM #4, Duncan, Dupuis Saigon, Cogshall, Edward.  PPK was also my favorite, but I loved Dupuis.  The NDM was overripe and that was entirely my fault, as I'm still getting a feel for judging the ripeness.  I have another I'm going to try as well.  The Cogshall had a very pronounced peach note, which was wonderful, as the peaches around here that aren't from an orchard are terrible! The ordering process is smooth and I have a box at my door within 2-3 days, all arriving in good condition. 

I think I'll be doing another box soon, not sure which ones to try as there seems to be less information on the others.  Decisions, decisions.

TREESNMORE

• USA Palm City FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2018, 08:56:08 PM »
PPK and Sweet Tart were my favorites last.  year. I have 50 trees . I also buy from Alex  , Zill and Truly Tropicals. You picked a good fruit PPK. Sweet Tart is one of Gary Zill best. Ask Alex when he will have it.
Mike

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2018, 09:20:44 PM »
Thanks for all the positive feedback guys I really appreciate it.

MangoCountry

• Southeast Florida 10a/b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2018, 09:22:50 PM »
Ill give you some of my favorites that I would definitely try if their available. Cac, Mallika, Fruit Punch, Lemon Zest, Sweet Tart, Cotton Candy, Coconut Cream, Super Julie, Fairchild, Venus, Pickering, Peach Cobbler

paulmctigue

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2018, 11:10:04 PM »
Dude! I ordered 2 boxes from Alex sent to my Indiana peeps, and they were fruit tripping at the flavors and quality! Loved them  ;D

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2018, 03:02:14 PM »
I order at least one box per year, or else i'd have to drive all around the state visiting friends with mango trees, asking for handouts...

always a pleasure to get fruit from Tropical Acres Farms...

if you live in Ca or Hi he can't ship to you, but at least you got some really good mangoes growing in your state already...

all other states, I highly recommend you make a purchase!

i got a custom box for $55 total, it included Angie, Cac, Simmonds, Carrie, Zill, and Cogshall.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2018, 03:11:25 PM »
if you live in Ca or Hi he can't ship to you, but at least you got some really good mangoes growing in your state already...

its funny that we in So Cal depending on location are seeing blooms now, few sets and dropping, horrible year due to warm winter and freezing March, warm cold warm cold and it continues.

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2018, 07:25:33 PM »

its funny that we in So Cal depending on location are seeing blooms now, few sets and dropping, horrible year due to warm winter and freezing March, warm cold warm cold and it continues.

The only ones I have doing good down here in Chula Vista are some Paul Thomson seedlings, Keitt, Edward, Peggy and Ewais. The rest have dropped fruit or are just starting to bloom.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 09:59:48 PM by marklee »

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2018, 12:22:14 AM »
I have keitt doing ok-well. Lost one main stem to dieback but setting lots of fruit and some odd shaped double fruit. Will prune to 1 per stem I guess.

Lemon zest growing really well on Florida turpentine. No flowers but lots of vegetative growth despite weird weather.

Ppk from exotica (not sure if they graft their own or get fromflorida) stalled last year but is growing tris year albeit slowly. 

Photo of keitt.

Grafts from earlier on the season didn’t take at all but that may be due to combination of weather change in April and transplant shock 😱

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2018, 09:06:39 AM »
Simmonds was my favorite mango this time! 
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Alex21686

• Brookfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2018, 09:09:51 PM »
If I love the flavor of Carrie but am not crazy about the softer texture, is there a mango with a similar flavor profile but with a firmer/more toothsome texture?

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2018, 10:06:12 PM »
If I love the flavor of Carrie but am not crazy about the softer texture, is there a mango with a similar flavor profile but with a firmer/more toothsome texture?

Angie