Author Topic: Perennial cherry tomato cultivars?  (Read 2226 times)

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Perennial cherry tomato cultivars?
« on: June 09, 2018, 10:49:29 AM »
Does anyone in SoCal have recommendations for cherry tomato varieties that grow well as perennials?  I've heard that people living in zone 10b areas of SoCal are able to keep cherry tomato plants growing for many years and they can produce nearly year round.  I've had that luck with many pepper plants but am not sure which tomato varieties would be good for perennial growing.

Even better would be non-cherry tomatoes that produce year round...

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
Re: Perennial cherry tomato cultivars?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 09:17:08 AM »
Hi,
I grow various tomatoes in my greenhouse.  In general, all tomatoes are perennials, although I have only ever grown indeterminate ones year-to-year. Supposedly the determinate ones die after the fruit ripens.  Indeterminate varieties DO keep growing also, so keep it pruned down. As far as tiny tomatoes, Isis Candy is really good, and I have also grown Matt's Wild Cherry, which is supposedly THE sweetest cherry tomato.  I have a chocolate cherry tomato going now. When you buy plants or seeds, just check to see if they are indeterminate.  Same holds true for the larger tomatoes.  Anything that tastes good and says "indeterminate" on the tag will give you years of gardening pleasure.  They will fruit less and less as the years go on, and although I once had a 6 year tomato plant, it didn't give many tomatoes by that time, so it went to the compost pile (which then sprouted about a hundred volunteer plants!).

Cheers!
Carolyn