Author Topic: Fairchild mango- Not washed out- My best mango so far this season 2018  (Read 3279 times)

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
I just want to praise the little mango that could. Large size seed, small size mango. No nice coloration such as reds, pinks, purples. A high seed to flesh ratio. But even with our heavy rains they are full flavor. My Carries taste good but bland enough for bsbullie to savor. Pickerings are bland with a few full taste ones. Those are my three that have gotten edible so far.

Fairchild has a good rep for fungus resistance and reliability...as in fruiting each year. Though I admit last year mine put out no fruit, the only time in 8 years.

Pina Colada and Fairchild are two manageable trees. Meaning they are not mad (vigorous) growers and can be kept  to smaller size. Both have fruits that thieves will tend to pass by as compared to mangoes that are red and large or have other nice coloration. Pinks and purples.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 11:27:19 AM by zands »

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
Re: Fairchild mango- Not washed out- My best mango so far this season
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 09:48:52 AM »

fair

fair turning yellow and ripe

fair fruit dropped

pina colada....small inconspicuous fruit same as fairchild...green until it turns yellow and ripe

pina colada fruit is small to medium size, has smaller seed than fairchild so higher flesh to seed ratio than fairchild. PC also a stronger sweeter "New Zill" taste than Fairchild. The PC tree is 12 feet high and manageable, as is Fairchild. Fairchild tree is presently 15ft high

pina c

pina c
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 09:57:08 AM by zands »

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 09:57:01 AM »
Great to see you getting some tasty mangos now.
The Pina Colada gets a deceiving yellow blush (from the sun I suppose) it really throws me off and gets me thinking they're ready to pick.

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 09:59:17 AM »
Great to see you getting some tasty mangos now.
The Pina Colada gets a deceiving yellow blush (from the sun I suppose) it really throws me off and gets me thinking they're ready to pick.
Thanks!  My PC fruits, some have some yellow blush in them but are rock hard.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 10:06:18 AM »
Great to hear Zands one of my favorite mangos year in year out ...... very underrated

FRUITBOXHERO

• Coral Springs Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2018, 11:24:23 AM »
My Fairchild is always one of my best mangos! everyone loves them, maybe not a top 5 every year but always a top 10 and it handles everything thrown at it.... great tree everyone should have 1
Joe

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2018, 04:53:14 PM »
Which out of the 2 trees produced the most fruit ?
Thanks Ed
Zone 10

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2018, 09:15:48 AM »
Hey Zands

Fairchild’s also seem to make great rootstocks as you suggested to me a couple years ago. The seed husks from Fairchild are extremely difficult to remove but the resulting seedlings have excellent growth rate here in SoCal and the leaves do not show any signs of fungal issues.

Simon

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2018, 09:53:55 AM »
Which out of the 2 trees produced the most fruit ?
Thanks Ed
This year Pina Colada has a slight edge over Fairchild.
But for an average over five mango seasons....The average is that PC and Fairchild have similar mango yields.

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2018, 05:01:39 PM »
Is Fairchild best left to ripen on the table until wrinkly similar to Pickering?
- Marley

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2019, 07:21:19 PM »
Hey Zands

Fairchild’s also seem to make great rootstocks as you suggested to me a couple years ago. The seed husks from Fairchild are extremely difficult to remove but the resulting seedlings have excellent growth rate here in SoCal and the leaves do not show any signs of fungal issues.

Simon

Many belated thanks! Glad those Fairchild seeds are doing something good and burrowing through your clay soil.  Panama is where Fairchild is from and probably clay soils. I based this on the Fairchild fruit has high seed to flesh ratio. So it has a priority of survival/reproducing more than some other mangoes. Fairchild is more primitive than other more flashy mangoes. This is confirmed by your difficulty at husk removal.

I’ve heard other people mentioning it but it appears some Pina Colada trees may have been grafted on some sort of dwarfing rootstock?

Mine was on dwarf rootstock and cookie monster's too.  I am fairly sure PC are grafted onto a more normal rootstock now. I base this on the PC trees I see in nurseries.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2019, 06:55:10 AM »
Is Fairchild best left to ripen on the table until wrinkly similar to Pickering?
My Fairchild ripen very well on the tree but they drop off very easily at a stage they don't usually get damaged. The ones with color are very quick to get soft and ready to eat but not wrinkled. This has been a great steady producer while many others didn't. This tree shows occasional malformation diseased flowers which I cut off but it still produces.

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2019, 11:23:49 AM »
My Fairchild ripen very well on the tree but they drop off very easily at a stage they don't usually get damaged. The ones with color are very quick to get soft and ready to eat but not wrinkled. This has been a great steady producer while many others didn't. This tree shows occasional malformation diseased flowers which I cut off but it still produces.
The word is reliable. Small and non-pretentious. Planted on perimeter they will not be stolen and same for Piña Colada which are so well hidden by green leaves I have trouble scoping them out. One day they are green and next they are yellow and ready. Both Fairchild and Piña Colada. So invisible to mango thieves. My Piña Colada is planted right by the road and never had theivery