Author Topic: This year’s Malika Mangos  (Read 1046 times)

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
This year’s Malika Mangos
« on: June 21, 2018, 09:12:02 PM »
I don’t know if it’s just my area, but I’ve gotten Malikas from 2 different sources this season and the flavor is just next level amazing. Are others seeing the same thing? Last year I was not impressed at all with the Malikas I was eating and I tried them at all different stages of ripeness. This year I’m hard pressed to find a bad one. Really just superb

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
Re: This year’s Malika Mangos
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 09:44:55 PM »
Mango cultivars can have off-seasons. Growing conditions, climate, macro/ micro nutrients etc etc. One year they perform/taste mediocre. The following year(s) they are spectacular. Some mango cvs can "perform" more consistent than others. Ice cream mango, as an example, this years for me has been the best ever (6 years). Decent production (uncharateristic) and top quality tasting. Brix in the 23s.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

MangoCountry

• Southeast Florida 10a/b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 09:53:29 PM »
Ive never had a bad Mallika in fact a Mallika picked tree ripened was the best mango ive ever eaten. The flavor was so rich and so sweet it blew my mind. It reminded me alot of an orange creamsicle.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 09:55:35 PM by MangoCountry »

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 11:01:42 PM »

The tree in my yard also had produced more than it ever has, and the taste is incredible; it can easily give top-tier Zills mangoes stiff competition. However, picking them at the right time is quite a tricky task.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2018, 12:43:39 AM »
I’ve had some excellent tasting Mallika Mangos. Some years they have a bit of melon flavor, sometimes a bit of carroty flavor that I don’t like much and one year they were extremely rich and creamy with a heavy honey note. When eaten just ripe enough, they have a bit of acidity to balance out the sweetness.

Simon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk